Contemporary vs Animal Kingdom Lodge

signerdreams

If you had to make a decision betwen the Contemporary vs the Animal Kingdom Lodge where would you stay and why?

This may be a decision my family and i will have to make. Just wanted to know your thoughts. thanks!!!

Pioneer Hall

It seems that what one has the other one lacks. AKL is beautiful and has a great setting, but has nothing special when it comes to transportation. The Contemporary is great for getting around to places, but it isn't the nicest place to look at either. You need to weigh your options and decide what is better for you. Do you want transportation or beauty? That is something that you personally need to decide on.

Upvote 0

Lauriebar

I like the Contemporary because of its proximity to MK as well as the TTC. Monorail resorts are so convenient for us, if we get tired in the middle of the day it is easy to hope on the monorail and have a rest at the resort for a couple of hours and then return to the parks ready to go!! The AKL is very pretty though.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Where will you spend most of your time? If its the MK or EPCOT I'd choose
the Contemporary. Th AKL is beautiful, but as stated before, the transportation system is lacking.

If you like the style of the AKL why not try the Wilderness Lodge. Its closer to the MK (and monorail...boat to Contemporary), its a Deluxe, but is the lowest priced. (and its my favorite :D )

Upvote 0

ermccartin

In reply to Tigsmom

undefined
tigsmom said:
Where will you spend most of your time? If its the MK or EPCOT I'd choose
the Contemporary. Th AKL is beautiful, but as stated before, the transportation system is lacking.

If you like the style of the AKL why not try the Wilderness Lodge. Its closer to the MK (and monorail...boat to Contemporary), its a Deluxe, but is the lowest priced. (and its my favorite :D )

We are planning the Wilderness Lodge next time we go. I agree with idea of the convenience of transportation..We were at Boardwalk last time. Now that has atmosphere and was Really Convenient. But Wilderness is less expensive. Has a spring in the lobby --nice fireplace. Should be good.
:wave: :wave:

Upvote 0

tigsmom

ermccartin said:
undefined

We are planning the Wilderness Lodge next time we go. I agree with idea of the convenience of transportation..We were at Boardwalk last time. Now that has atmosphere and was Really Convenient. But Wilderness is less expensive. Has a spring in the lobby --nice fireplace. Should be good.
:wave: :wave:

You're going to love it. If you have any specific questions PM me & I'll try my best to answer them (we've been 6 times ). :wave:

Upvote 0

Imagineermole

I have stayed at both of these resorts. I prefer the AKL just because you can see the animals from your room which I think is really cool. The only bad thing is that to get to any other park besides AK it takes 20 minutes. But it only takes abou 7 minutes to get to AK.

Upvote 0

crazydaveh

Like just about everyone else in this thread, I've stayed at both.

They're both neat, but I favor AKL. T

he Contemp is great! You have to love staying at the "Staple" hotel on property (My opinion) where the monorail rolls through. The porch on the 4th floor is great for Wishes as well. The rooms are big, but you can tell it's an older hotel inside the rooms.

AKL is new, there are animals all over the place. The pool and hot tubs are awesome! I just like how AKL takes you away from Florida and puts you somewhere else!

Sure, you have to take busses all over the place and the ride is long, but that's the best part of it! You're not near the other resorts/parks!

You'll have fun at either place!

Have fun!

Upvote 0

skeeter

For me, it is what I am spending my money on. My favorite resort at Disney is the Animal Kingdom. It does what a themed resort should, it takes you away through your senses--sights, sounds, smells, everything is detailed. Sure, the ONLY negative I can say is the transportation. But doesn' the Animal Kingdom Lodge have a dedicated bus system? Other deluxe resorts sometimes share bus lines, and your ride may end up just as long. Personally, I would be disappointed to spend my money on the contemporary--sure, it is in a wonderful location--but it isn't as welcoming as the AKL. The theme (whatever that may be) is nowhere near the AKL (again, this is just my own opinion). The only draw for me would be the view (and that is only from tower rooms) or the California Grill. :animwink:

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

There is a huge cost difference between the two, especially if you're looking at Tower rooms at Contemporary.

I would, however, go with the Contemp (if cost were no object) because the rooms are significantly larger. I also love a brighter color scheme. To me, the rooms at AKL are all a dull shade of brown.

Upvote 0

signerdreams

Original Poster
I think i will explain some things to give y'all a better picture....the cast of the trip would be my dad (53), mom(52) (who has a bunch of heath problems and would have to have a wheelchair for the trip...she can walk just not very far w/o it) my sister(16) (who basically hates disney but loves animals) and me(18).

My dad and i are HUGE HUGE HUGE disney nuts!!!! My mom loves MK! My dad and i do to. We spend the majority of our time at MK and MGM.

The only disney resorts we have stayed at are PC and All star

Upvote 0

tigsmom

signerdreams said:
I think i will explain some things to give y'all a better picture....the cast of the trip would be my dad (53), mom(52) (who has a bunch of heath problems and would have to have a wheelchair for the trip...she can walk just not very far w/o it) my sister(16) (who basically hates disney but loves animals) and me(18).

My dad and i are HUGE HUGE HUGE disney nuts!!!! My mom loves MK! My dad and i do to. We spend the majority of our time at MK and MGM.

Then stick to the MK resorts...the Contemporary or WL, maybe even the Polynesian (which is also very beautiful). :wave:

Upvote 0

Maria

signerdreams said:

Your sister can go visit the AKL and DAK by herself if she really wants to see more animals, but your parents should be the main concern, so make things easier for them (and for all) and stay close to the MK and in an easier to walk around hotel. The Contemporary has the big advantage of the monorail and the distances are not so big inside the hotel.

Have a nice trip!

Upvote 0

Main Street USA

Yeah, based on your second post, I'd also advise the Contemporary.

My BEST advice, however, is to check into Wilderness Lodge. It can't be beat, and anytime a resort topic is brought up on these boards, it amazes me how many people agree that the Wilderness Lodge is the best resort on property.

Upvote 0

v&adad

I would stay at AKL, it is our favorite! I have never had a problem with transportation, yet we always go in Sept. or Oct. It only took us 15 to get to MK. The buses were always at the bus stops when we needed them. The best part is the "contact" with animals. Your sister will love it (especially if you stay on the zebra trail, somewhere on the third floor.)Also, if Mom and Dad don't feel like going to the parks they can hang out in the room and the animals are a park on to themselves. The contemporary is very out of date (ironic, huh), the pool is no where near AKL's pool in quality and if you must go back to your room- your view choices are a garden, a pool, monorail, or four very ugly walls. Some people love it but I'm not a fan.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
I've stayed at both. Never cared much for the Contempoary after that. And I usally stay clear of the monorail. Dunno, but I get that not so "freash" fealing about that thing. It's the only place at WDW that to me, isn't clean.

If your mom can walk for short didtances, then you can use fold up wheelchairs, and bussing wouldn't be too difficult, since AKL is strictly bus service.

I'd give Pam from Kingdom Konsultants a call, she could try to help you get into one of the other deluxes during your dates...

Oh yea, for bus times of AKL, read my sig...

Upvote 0

radgriff

I have stayed at Port Orleans (both), All Stars (Movies and Music), Pop Century, Boardwalk, Animal Kingdom, the Beach Club, and The Contemporary.

My Favorite is the Beach Club, the back entrance to Epcot is the best! When you go in October for the Food and Wine fest. you can go everynight and not be as tired going back to a bus to your hotel.

The Contemporary is not contemporary at all. The rooms are a tad bigger but kinda yucky. Spend less money on the room and stay at a moderate like Port Orleans and spend more money in the parks. If you are going with children spend it on something you wouldn't normally let them get (costume). I work at a Disney Store and I always tell people that. Go for the really nice dinners instead of the deluxe hotels.

We are going in 2 weeks and staying 6 nights at Port Orleans and 3 nights at the Beach Club.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom