Contemporary Resort

SeaCastle

Hello all,

We're planning on staying at the Contemporary next year. We have family traveling with us that stayed there back when it was still in the outdated '70s decor, and can't seem to shake that image from her head. I'm worried that the resort will not too stark and vegetation-less to be nice. I've also heard that when staying in the Tower rooms, you are subject to lots of noise coming from the Grand Canyon concourse.

We've stayed at the Poly and Grand Floridian, and after staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge this year, we're looking for a resort with good transportation options, and since we'd be planning on spending lots of time at the MK and EPCOT (and we've always wanted to stay there), the Contemporary seems to be the resort for us, but we have our reservations (as listed above). Can anyone share any testimonials? Thanks!

wdwwdeagle

Stayed at CR last year, and we really liked it. We were not bothered by any noise, though I have read reviews saying that noise was a problem. I would suggest asking for a "high floor room." Being on a higher floor may make a difference with the restaurant, concourse and monorail noise (we were on 12, which is concierge, but 10 or 11 would be good, also). I was nervous about elevator noise, and hearing people walk by our room, since we were very close to the elevator, but the soundproofing once inside the room was quite good -- no worse than other deluxes we've stayed in.
I thought the rooms were nicely appointed; very mod, with plenty of light.
If you want to stay there, I would recommend it highly. The location is perfect. In fact, we liked it so much we are staying at BLT next week. A studio or 1br there might also be a good choice for your hesitant relative -- newer and with the same great location/transportation amenities.

Upvote 0

love disney

I have never actually stayed at the Contemporary, but I did visit it on my last trip down to WDW. I can't speak for the rooms themselves, but from what I saw of the lobby, check-in area, etc. I really was not impressed. I kind of got the feeling that it probably looked exactly the same in the 70's. Granted I was staying at Wilderness Lodge which is incredibly beautiful and may have tainted my perception of the Contemporary. Of course the location and the monorail are awesome features though! Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

We stayed ib the Contemporary after the re-furb and loved it. The rooms and bathrooms were totally redone. DS like it so much we redid his bedroom at home in the same colors.

Upvote 0

harveyt0206

Another fan of the Contemporary here. We stayed there last September and fell in love. My husband says he really doesn't even want to consider staying anywhere else at this point, so we are planning on staying there again in September 2011. I thought the rooms were extremely comfortable and the new decor was very nice. Honestly, you can not beat the location. The ability to walk to and from MK is priceless.

Have a great trip.

Upvote 0

kbmum

I've stayed at the Contemporary 20 times since 1978. It's my favorite resort. I don't care what the critics say. I love the feel of the resort and all of the conveniences it has. You'll have a great view no matter which side you're on, either of the park and the fireworks or the lake side and all it's greenery. I enjoy walking around the back of the resort -- out to the pool, along the entire length of the marina, by the Sorcerer's Apprentice topiary, and past the metal Mickey sculpture (great picture spot).

If you're worried about noise, request not only an upper floor, but also one that's on the opposite side of the building from Chef Mickey. Most of the noise comes from there. I've found the even if I can hear a little noise right by the room door, I really can't hear it once I walk into the room.

Upvote 0

britlightyear

We have stayed at the Contemporary for the past 3 years for our January trips. We love the rooms, they are spacious and always clean and we have never had a problem with noise but I have always requested a room on the higher floors and we have stayed on 9, 10 and 11. The views of MK are amazing and I believe worth the extra money.
However, I will point out that on our last 2 trips we have had serious issues with the elevators. I know this probably sounds like a weird problem but especially this last trip, we would get off the monorail and go to the elevators on the 4th floor and every night we waited at least 20 minutes for an elevator, one night we waited over 45. They only have 4 (I believe) elevators on one side and then a single elevator on the other side and for our last trip the single side elevator was broken leaving the remaining 4 and then in the evening the California Grill would lock out one (2 on the weekends) leaving 2 or 3 elevators for the entire tower and with Chef Mickeys and the Contempo Grill on that same floor there would be 40-50 people waiting to use the elevators and it was just ridiculous. A couple times we had the concierge take us up to our floor using the staff elevators (which are kinda gross). Yes, I probably could have climbed the stairs up to the 11th floor every night but after walking around the parks all day my son just was not up for doing that (my husband actually did this several times and one time he had ordered room service and the food was already delivered by the time my son and I got to the room). Anyways, seems like a minor issue but this coming January we are staying at the Polynesian because I am just not willing to pay $600/night to deal with that again. :brick:

Upvote 0

SeaCastle

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice everyone. Like it's been said here, the biggest draw was being able to walk to the Magic Kingdom and the views. The one thing I'm curious about is that when we stayed lagoon view at the Poly in '05 it was $445 a night. In 2010 the price for a Magic Kingdom view at the Contemporary is the same. Haven't prices been raised since then?

Upvote 0

CRxmas71

Great choice. I have never had a problem with noise, even on lower level rooms. Make sure you do not stay Chef Mickey side. Elevators were never a problem, even during the holidays. Pay extra or request theme park view. Poly is a more expensive resort. They have raised the prices each year.

Upvote 0

Princess_L

My DH and I have stayed in the CR. Chef Mickey's start at 7am, and we didn't hear much noise. We were about mid way up with Castle view. Totally worth the view!

I want to warn you, We are early risers! We would up and heading to parks for the opening. So the noise never bothered me.

My favorite resort we stayed at so far!

Upvote 0

Tiggerfanatic

I absolutely love, love, love the Contemporary. Spacious rooms, killer view, and what could be cooler than the monorail running right through the middle!! Seriously, we stayed on the 7th floor both trips, and never noticed any noise problems in the room. Elevators were never an issue, either.

Upvote 0

westie

I love the contemp because of the transpo options, bus and boat. It has water on all sides and is very lush and green. A tree frog actually jumped in my wifes hair as we were walking up to the resort! Being from CA, one thing I love is the 24 hr. restaurant because when its midnight in florida, its only 9 pm for a westcoater. One drawback, the hallways are very long and look alike so, if your a drinker its somewhat easy to get lost coming home. Cheers!

Upvote 0

DisGal

I just noticed something on Disney's site...it looks like there are 2 different room decors. I have a room booked in the Garden Wing. Am I going to get this style room:

http://allears.net/acc/cont09a3.jpg

Or this?

http://www.disneyhotelslist.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/contemporary_resort_room1.jpg

I only like the first one.

I believe the second decor is only for the 14th floor Tower Club. The 12th floor (Atrium Club) and all other rooms have the decor in the first pic.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I actually walked around the resort for the first time in a few years the other day when I went to dine at the California Grill. I have to say that all the refurbishments have really brought the resort into this century. It was very nice and I like how they have upgraded the decor.

Upvote 0

whitney37354

We stayed on the 12th floor in June. The decor has been updated. We were just above Chef Mickey's and never heard any noise from it. You would have to be standing right at the door and straining to hear something to have heard anything, because I tried! The monorail to MK & EPCOT was great and the busses to DHS, AK, DTD, & TL were not bad either. We never waited more than five minutes for a bus. We walked to/from MK a few times and it was great to avoid the crowds. We were able to see the fireworks at water parade from our room and I watched the castle change colors all through the night while lying in bed.

We didn't find any negatives about staying here.

Upvote 0

elatino

I stayed @ CR last x-mas for a week. I loved the view of the castle from our room, the distance to MK and the monorail service but......I have to admit that you don't get the feeling that your in a resort, more like a hotel geared for business. The rooms are modern which is really nice but I think AKL and WL are much nicer.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom