Contemporary or POR

JAbbaleo

Original Poster
My family of 5 needs a 5th sleeper. For $1,600 more we can stay at Contemporary next Easter week instead of POR. We enjoyed POR last trip and had no issues with transportation. We plan on 4 park days with 2 days at MK. Is the $1,600 more worth it? It would be a standard garden wing room.

Mireille

Premium Member
You'd have access to the deluxe extended evening hours at night. But I don't know if that's been confirmed to continue after 2023 yet.

MissViv

I love the Contemporary and you would have more room BUT $1,600 is a lot of $$$.

I have stayed at FQ a couple of times and it is very nice for 2 people but I don't know about 5, it will be really crowded.

Tuvalu

I have stayed at FQ a couple of times and it is very nice for 2 people but I don't know about 5, it will be really crowded.
FQ doesn’t sleep 5. The OP said they are booked at POR which does accommodate 5.

That said, I agree that $1600 is a lot more to stay in a Contemporary garden room, especially when those rooms are FAR from transportation and the main building’s amenities.

JIMINYCR

We enjoy the garden wing area which gives us a quiet stay. The Contemp access to the monorail and walking path to MK is an added feature we like. Watching the water parade from the dock at night is a nice plus too. The walk isnt that far, Ive timed it and its only a matter of about 5 minutes or less depending on which room you get. Maybe the illusion of the long hallways make it seem longer than it actually is. We do the Contemp on special trips or when we decide the cost will fit our budget. A $1600 bump up isnt insignificant but it isnt outrageous either. It all comes down to how much you can budget and afford the higher cost. We like both resorts equally because they each offer many plusses and few minuses compared to other resorts.

the_rich

My family of 5 needs a 5th sleeper. For $1,600 more we can stay at Contemporary next Easter week instead of POR. We enjoyed POR last trip and had no issues with transportation. We plan on 4 park days with 2 days at MK. Is the $1,600 more worth it? It would be a standard garden wing room.
May I suggest the Boulder ridge villas at wilderness lodge. Splits the difference between POR and Contemporary on price. It's one of my favorite resorts and you're still close to mk.

MaryJaneP

Hard to justify additional $1,600 even to this multi=visit CR fan. We have stayed in old North Garden Wing before it was demolished for BLT and multiple times in South Garden Wing. We have 5 and don't think we'd do it with 5 now that the kids are bigger and older. For only 2 MK visits, the added money seems to be more than I would recommend. YMMV

MickeyLuv'r

We don't tend to splurge on Deluxe hotels during peak holiday weeks, but CR is walking distance to MK. If you can make good use of that, then Cr is a great place to stay. At the end of the night, you do not have to wait for bus when leaving MK. Easter week, that can be a real timesaver.

Also, you are currently booking at rack rates, but Disney may well release a discount that you can apply. Not always for peak weeks, but sometimes. That might bring the difference closer.

If Disney has the extra PM hours, and your stay happens to give you access to 2 of those nights, then you might think of the difference as paying $320 per person for that perk.

I think the Garden wing is a nice place to stay. A plus of CR is easy access to all monorail dining. Easte week it is great fun to see the Easter eggs in the lobbies of CR and GF. Another important difference between CR and POR is that POR is sprawling. If you like walking around POR, you might miss it. If you would prefer to waist less time walking back and forth, you'll like CR.

The ultimate answer to your question is not so much if we think it is worthwhile, but if it is worthwhile to you. If you can take advantage of the perks of CR, then yes, it may well be worth $1660 more. If you do not plan to make use of the CR perks, then those extra PM hours won't matter. CR rooms are a bit larger than POR, but not a dealbreaker difference. You also get the dining of CR and monorails, but not the POR food court.

Skibum1970

I really enjoyed staying in the Garden Wing. It was quiet and peaceful but it was a bit of a walk to the Contemporary's main building. We prefer staying at POR, though. While you can still end up with a bit of a walk (ex. from the furthest Magnolia building) to the main building, it is pretty and peaceful. Also, you can take the boat to Disney Springs and walk to Port Orleans FQ, if so inclined. The quick service at POR is quite varied and we never had any trouble with the buses. Plus, it's hard for me to really justify an additional $1,600.

ppete1975

If you are ok with the 1600 dollars I say go for it. Especially if you are going to spend alot of time at MK.

I dont think theres much comparison between the two, one is the deluxe and another is a moderate. And you are much closer to MK and getting to epcot is super simple as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom