Confusion with MagicBands and Annual Passes...

Biggen

Original Poster
Wondering if someone can help me as I have been told two different things by Disney regarding MagicBands and Annual Passes.

I purchased three annual passes online about a week ago. Had tons of issues getting them linked up to my Disney account and finally had to call. After about a 30 minute phone call, the reps were able to get the passes linked so that I can now see them in my "My Disney Experience" account area under "Reservations and Tickets".

After that was completed, I asked the rep who linked them about MagicBands. She told me I could log into my account, personalize them with names/colors, and then Disney would ship them out to us. So after I hung up, I attempted to do so but don't see any option under "Magic Bands and Cards".

So a week goes by and I decide to call back to see why I can't customize my bands. I am told by this new rep that MagicBands ONLY ship out immediately to resort guests after their rooms are booked. The bands DO NOT ship out to just annual pass holders until AFTER your first visit to Disney. She said the first time you come to Disney, you will get the annual passcard that also has a RFID chip inside it. Once that card is first used to gain admission to a park, that will trigger the MagicBand system that is linked to your account. Then you can actually log in and customize the bands with names/colors. Then they will ship them to your home address so the next time you visit Disney you can actually use the bands.

Does this sound correct? To me, this makes little sense if this is the case. Why wouldn't Disney just ship the bands after you purchase annual passes? Why make you come to the park first? Wouldn't the whole point of the system be to begin using the bands ASAP??

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Unfortunately, this currently seems to be the case. We have APs, but were not able to customize them until after we returned from our visit. We did stay on site for that visit and received MagicBands; now we also have our AP bands.

Biggen

Original Poster
Unfortunately, this currently seems to be the case. We have APs, but were not able to customize them until after we returned from our visit. We did stay on site for that visit and received MagicBands; now we also have our AP bands.

Yes, the second rep also told me this. We are staying at the Shades of Green which doesn't count as a Disney Resort stay. But she told me had I stayed at a qualifying resort, than they would have shipped out the bands before our arrival. We then would also have received another set of bands as a result of the Annual Passes but those would be shipped to our home and would waiting for us there at home upon our return.

I guess these are just the growing pains of a new system. It still needs lots of polishing. No reason to have two sets of bands go out to resort guests who also happen to be AP holders. Also, there should be an option to have the bands sent out to AP holders BEFORE they arrive. What good does it do me to have it shipped to my home while I'm at Disney?

Ah well. I'm sure they will tweak it.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yes, the second rep also told me this. We are staying at the Shades of Green which doesn't count as a Disney Resort stay. But she told me had I stayed at a qualifying resort, than they would have shipped out the bands before our arrival. We then would also have received another set of bands as a result of the Annual Passes but those would be shipped to our home and would waiting for us there at home upon our return.

I guess these are just the growing pains of a new system. It still needs lots of polishing. No reason to have two sets of bands go out to resort guests who also happen to be AP holders. Also, there should be an option to have the bands sent out to AP holders BEFORE they arrive. What good does it do me to have it shipped to my home while I'm at Disney?

Ah well. I'm sure they will tweak it.
Of course, it also has the side effect of tempting you into purchasing a retail MagicBand for $12 when you get there ;)

sjhym333

The Disney rep is correct. The system is set up that the MagicBand order will not show up on your MDE until after you get your ticket and go into the park. Once you do that the MagicBand order will show up very quickly in your MDE. Usually within a couple of hours. Now that your tickets are attached to your MDE account you should still be able to book FP+ for your trip.

Biggen

Original Poster
Thanks for the confirmation guys. It sounds screwy to me but I guess they probably know more about what they are doing than I do.

Having the ability to charge $12 band at the park does make financial sense for Disney. I'm sure they get lots of AP people to fork that money over even though they get a "free one" with the purchase of their AP.

NeedMoreMickey

Is it still the policy to charge for the difference if I upgrade a ticket to an annual pass? I just booked a 3 night trip for Sept 14th without a ticket because I am thinking about getting an annual pass, we are going back in March 2015. I want to do the easiest way to be able to get a magic band and be able to select my fast passes.

Rob562

Is it still the policy to charge for the difference if I upgrade a ticket to an annual pass? I just booked a 3 night trip for Sept 14th without a ticket because I am thinking about getting an annual pass, we are going back in March 2015. I want to do the easiest way to be able to get a magic band and be able to select my fast passes.

Yes, you'll just pay the difference between the ticket you have and the AP. Just make sure to enter a theme park before you upgrade. You'll get a Band for the hotel reservation, and then after you upgrade to the AP you'll be able to order a second set of Bands for the AP. (They can then be used interchangeably)

If you want to save the most money, look at the tickets being sold by the ticket resellers. Find one that a) saves the most money off the gate-price for *that* ticket, while b) still having a gate price *below* the price of an AP. A couple years ago the ticket that fit that for me was an 8-day Non-Expiring Hopper that I bought through Undercover Tourist. I saved about $42 off the price of the 8-day ticket, used it to enter the MK and then upgraded it for about $4.25 (the difference between the 8-day non-expiring ticket and the AP).

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom