Confused about Disney's latest movies

DisneyDefenders

Original Poster
OK...just got home about an hour ago from seeing "Home on the Range." Sorry if any of you saw it and liked it, but I have to say that it is BY FAR one of their worst (if not THE worst)!

I was already skeptical walking in, knowing that Rosanne Barr provided a voice for one of the characters. Why in the world would Disney associate themselves with such a dirty woman!?! This is the same woman who grabbed her crotch, sang out of key on purpose, and showed utter disrespect for our nation when she was invited to sign the national anthem at a ball game a few years back. :fork: This both boggles me and is disheartening at the same time.

I am also quite puzzled as to why (even though not seeing it, I guess it was because the movie is so terrible that they didn't want their summer season to fall on this movie) Disney decided to release "Home on the Range" at the beginning of April!?! Have they EVER released an animated feature in April before? It just seemed REEEALLY weird to me, being released only about 5 months after "Brother Bear" and their next 'animated' movie "The Incredibles" not being released until the Fall! So what in the world are they hoping to have this summer to tent pole the season...80 Days? Princess II? :veryconfu

Finally...does anyone have any clue as to why "Hidalgo" lost the Disney name? I know that when I first started seeing previews for this, it was being pushed as a Walt Disney Pictures Production, but then suddenly the Walt Disney name went away and Touchstone appeared. Now I know that it's practically the same thing...but why do it at all? The reason I ask this here is because I noticed something similar with Pirates last summer...at the beginning of the ad campaign...you only saw the name Disney at the very end of the preview briefly amongst the rest of the credits that appeared on screen. Do this mean that Disney is losing confidence in it's own name? :lookaroun

Sorry for the long post...but it all kinda ties in together. I'll shut up now. :zipit:

Dayma

Disney is losing confidence in it's own name?

Its just distribution rights for Hildalgo.

Sometimes I think that Disney needs to begin in new people for the scripts or something. People keep saying that the animation is "dead" but I dont think people care at all if the story is great!

Legacy

Rosanne's been out of the limelight for a such a long time that most of society has most likely forgotten the Star Spangled incident. I don't think about it anymore, personally, mostly because it was so far in the past. I'm sure she regrets it like Janet regrets the booby thing, but there is nothing you can do about it now. It was like a decade ago.

If she is trying to move on to a different medium by doing voice-overs, great. That's one of the great things about voice-overs is that voices are (for the most part) disassociated with people. Most people don't realize that Demi Moore was Esmerelda and that Mel Gibson was John Smith. Few people care who voices characters, just as long as the voice fits the character. From what I have seen in the previews, Rosanne does this.

That and target audience doesn't even know who Rosanne Barr is.

johnvree

Originally posted by CaptJackSparrow
OK...just got home about an hour ago from seeing "Home on the Range." Sorry if any of you saw it and liked it, but I have to say that it is BY FAR one of their worst (if not THE worst)!

I was already skeptical walking in, knowing that Rosanne Barr provided a voice for one of the characters. Why in the world would Disney associate themselves with such a dirty woman!?! This is the same woman who grabbed her crotch, sang out of key on purpose, and showed utter disrespect for our nation when she was invited to sign the national anthem at a ball game a few years back. :fork: This both boggles me and is disheartening at the same time.

I am also quite puzzled as to why (even though not seeing it, I guess it was because the movie is so terrible that they didn't want their summer season to fall on this movie) Disney decided to release "Home on the Range" at the beginning of April!?! Have they EVER released an animated feature in April before? It just seemed REEEALLY weird to me, being released only about 5 months after "Brother Bear" and their next 'animated' movie "The Incredibles" not being released until the Fall! So what in the world are they hoping to have this summer to tent pole the season...80 Days? Princess II? :veryconfu

Finally...does anyone have any clue as to why "Hidalgo" lost the Disney name? I know that when I first started seeing previews for this, it was being pushed as a Walt Disney Pictures Production, but then suddenly the Walt Disney name went away and Touchstone appeared. Now I know that it's practically the same thing...but why do it at all? The reason I ask this here is because I noticed something similar with Pirates last summer...at the beginning of the ad campaign...you only saw the name Disney at the very end of the preview briefly amongst the rest of the credits that appeared on screen. Do this mean that Disney is losing confidence in it's own name? :lookaroun

Sorry for the long post...but it all kinda ties in together. I'll shut up now. :zipit:
Just curious CJS, how did you like Brother Bear?

GaryT977

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I wanted to comment on the Roseanne Barr thing. She did a stupid thing ten years ago, and admitted as much. She also said that said that the delay caused by singing in a stadium like that confused her. Does she have to pay for this single error for the rest of her life?

As long as she's funny, I have no problem with her voicing a character in a cartoon.

CTXRover

I doubt Disney is losing confidence in its own name. There are countless threads and topics on this forum alone that say Disney depends on the name "Disney" too much to promote, or as they say "brand", their products. In the case of Pirates and Hidalgo, I believe their PG-13 rating is what ultimately resulted in the apparent "loss" of the Disney name. Believe it or not, I still think Disney is cautious with their image and what the name represents for family entertainment and apparently PG-13 movies might be pushing that boundary right now (it could change). The reason I say this is that the WDP logo was prominently displayed on Pirate posters and commercials before it received its rating. After it got its PG-13 rating, the WDP reference was only kept to the end credits of the movie and in the small writing on the new posters and the movie in TV commercials was afterwards only referred to as a "Jerry Bruckheimer film". The WDP logo was even taken off the website for Pirates when the rating came out....Pirates was such an excellent movie that I wish they would have not made that decision...if you look at the DVD/Video covers now though, it looks like a change of heart came for the 3rd best movie of 2003 (based on Box office take) as the "Walt Disney Pictures presents" is written in bright yellow on the top of the cover....making it very obvious who made this movie...

DisneyDefenders

Original Poster
Johnvree...though "Brother Bear" was not Disney's best...I enjoyed it and appreciated the powerfull message it conveyed. Undoubtedly, it was 50 times the movie that "Home on the Range" was though!

And as far as Rosanne having 'turned a new leaf'...I don't buy it. We all know that Disney from time to time throws in jokes with double meanings even into their animated movies. But this movie had waaaay tooo many sexual inuendos, most of which came out of Rosanne's mouth! :eek: That's what she thinks is funny, and I just don't feel that it belongs in a Disney film.

This also brings me to the point that "Home on the Range" seems to be the pinnacle of Disney's use of toilet humor. Granted, farting and burping is always funny to kids, but Disney used to be able to find intelligent ways of making kids laugh and left the burp and fart jokes to other studios. Yet, lately, I've noticed it creeping into their movies, and is in great part what this movie relies on for laughs besides the sexual inuendos. Am I the only one this stuff is bothering?

raven

I don't think Disney really cares about what happened with people in the past. Everyone deserves another chance. Rosanne has a GREAT sarcastic kind of voice and Disney was looking for just that type when casting the voice of the cow. Rosanne also did the little baby's voice in Look Who's Talking Too and proved that her voice-overs are supurb.

I'm seeing the movie this afternoon and will have more to say about it later I'm sure. :animwink:

johnvree

Johnvree...though "Brother Bear" was not Disney's best...I enjoyed it and appreciated the powerfull message it conveyed. Undoubtedly, it was 50 times the movie that "Home on the Range" was though!

And as far as Rosanne having 'turned a new leaf'...I don't buy it. We all know that Disney from time to time throws in jokes with double meanings even into their animated movies. But this movie had waaaay tooo many sexual inuendos, most of which came out of Rosanne's mouth! :eek: That's what she thinks is funny, and I just don't feel that it belongs in a Disney film.

This also brings me to the point that "Home on the Range" seems to be the pinnacle of Disney's use of toilet humor. Granted, farting and burping is always funny to kids, but Disney used to be able to find intelligent ways of making kids laugh and left the burp and fart jokes to other studios. Yet, lately, I've noticed it creeping into their movies, and is in great part what this movie relies on for laughs besides the sexual inuendos. Am I the only one this stuff is bothering?
Thanks. Just wanted to use Brother Bear as a barameter.

Dayma

Disney puts their name on PG and less. This gurantees families that they can take thier child to any movie with a Disney name on it.

Disney owns other companies to to PG13 - R movies. Makes perfect sense as most companies do this to target consumers.

ISTCrew20

She didn't write the lines, so her thinking something is funny is out of her control. It's not Roseanne's movie...she's just a voice. The scriptwriters were in charge of the lines.

I happen to be a big fan of Roseanne. I was young when the Star Spangled Banner incedent occured, but I have seen it many times on E! and such channels. It was awhile ago, so we gotta move on. I watch her show every single night on Nick @ Nite, and I think it's great.

If I remember correctly...Aerosmith did some pretty bad things in their band days...Yet they're featured in RNRC.

I really like this movie, and I really like Roseanne. There were a few sexual inuendos in the movie...It was rated PG, meaning Parental Guidance so people were warned before they went in the theater.

Grizz ... I think when they go through the Bull field (where they're all sleeping) I think the "We'll help you...If you help us" was kinda..eehh.

Great movie either way...I really, really liked it.

DisneyDefenders

Original Poster
What exactly did you like about the movie ISTC? Did you enjoy the story line that just rushed you along like the flash flood that came out of nowhere or was it that you enjoyed the immense use of computer generated images that blended sooo well with the hand drawn animation (sarcasm). What exactly did you like about "Home on the Range?" Don't get me wrong...I respect your opinion as you're entitled to like the movie, but I'm asking because maybe you see something that I'm missing. :lookaroun

Besides the two mentioned above ('Yes they're real' referring to her utters and 'we'll help you if you help us' there were a few others including Rosanne's character [Maggie] yelling out to the bulls...'two words, cold shower!') :eek:

The big problem I have with this is that though in the past (as mentioned above) Disney has used double meaning jokes in it's movies, they don't tend to make out right sexual jokes. Usually the jokes or refferrences are things that a kid can laugh at and the adult can take in a different meaning without having to explain to their child why the bulls would have to take a cold shower. And let's not kid ourselves...we know that many of the actors that do voice overs for Disney take creative lisence with their scripts. You can't tell me that the same lines would have been in the movie being read by say...Ellen or even for Jennifer Tilly's characters. The character of Maggie VERY much resembled the kind of person Rosanne is, and I'm not saying she's not funny and that I can't enjoy her work...I just don't feel that her personality should be embodied in a Disney character that is to be beloved by children around the world.

The point to this thread is not just to bash "Home on the Range" which I still feel is one of the worst films to come out of Feature Animation ever (if not the worst...and I'd like for one person to tell me one that is worse if they can possibly think of one), but rather to attempt to understand the descisions that Disney has been making in it's movie business of late and to gauge all of your thoughts on the topic. I guess I was just really let down by "Home on the Range," as I was hoping it being the last hand drawn feature to come out of Disney :cry:, that it would have been at least up to par with some of their other work.

marksniles

I saw it last night and I was not impressed. It doesn't hold up to the standards of Little Mermaid, Beauty, Hercules, and Brother Bear, etc. It was one big CARTOON and the makers admit that it is a big CARTOON.

My wife and I went to go see it last night and we were the only couple in the theatre that did not have a child with them. The kids were laughing up a storm but even some of the adult jokes, the adults didn't get.

AND WHERE DID THAT FLOOD COME FROM!? Desert, then ocean, and the next scene - desert again! STRANGE!

HOpefully Chicken Little will be better!

DisneyDefenders

Original Poster
Don't count on Little being too Big

Mark...I agree with you on "Home on the Range" but from what I've seen and heard so far on "Chicken Little," I'm not all that excited. Even the preview on the "Brother Bear" DVD doesn't make it seem all that appealing. Let's hope that this re-direction of the Disney animation team to computer generated images flops so they will return to hand drawn movies or at least have a good balance like one computer generated movie in the fall and one hand drawn one in the summer or even one hand drawn one year and one computer generated the next (with each type being released every other year) I think could work and would benefit the sudio. But only time will tell!

ISTCrew20

Originally posted by marksniles

AND WHERE DID THAT FLOOD COME FROM!? Desert, then ocean, and the next scene - desert again! STRANGE!

HOpefully Chicken Little will be better!

It is a movie, and movies are pretend, but I was saying the same thing. It rained for 15 seconds and the desert turns into an ocean.:lol: ... This movie was from the exact same people who animated Lilo and Stitch, Brother Bear, and Mulan, so it's not like they can't draw. They were going for something different and I for one liked it. Some features are deeply emotional and moving (Brother Bear, and Lion King). Some are comedies (Lilo and Stitch, Hercules, New Groove) and some are musicals (Little Mermaid, Aladdin). Has there ever been one that wasn't made with some moral, or to prove something? HOTR isn't the best movie I have ever seen, but it kept my mind off my problems for 80 minutes, and kept me laughing...and that's what the animators set out to do. Great movie.

DisneyDefenders

Original Poster
Your Entitled To Your Opinon

OK ISTC...you're entitled to your opinion, but like I said, I think that for being their last hand drawn animated feature, the movie should have been something MUCH more than what it is! But thanks for offering your opnion on it! :)

Pat X

Re: Your Entitled To Your Opinon

OK ISTC...you're entitled to your opinion, but like I said, I think that for being their last hand drawn animated feature, the movie should have been something MUCH more than what it is! But thanks for offering your opnion on it! :)

I don't think the animators KNEW this was the LAST hand-drawn feature when the first started on it. For awhile, I believe HOTR was supposed to be released BEFORE Brother Bear. It just happened to turn out that way.

I like the fact that Disney goes for different styles, looks, for their movies. For awhile, after the string of Beauty&Beast, Aladdin, etc, people/critics complained that Disney was using a formula.

Ok, so, Disney tries something different with Atlantis, Treasure Planet, HOTR, etc, and people complain about these movies not being in the Disney "tradition." It seems to me Disney is basically "damned if the do, Damned if they don't."

Also, I think they released HOTR in April because the summer has a lot of competition with Potter, Shrek, etc. With an April release, there are no real kiddie movies coming out for awhile, they probably felt that HOTR could dominate that market for awhile. Remember Ice Age did really well when it was released in March.

Legacy

Originally Posted By CaptJackSparrow
OK ISTC...you're entitled to your opinion, but like I said, I think that for being their last hand drawn animated feature, the movie should have been something MUCH more than what it is! But thanks for offering your opnion on it!
Um... maybe it's just me, but this statements sounds really condescending. Just because you didn't like the movie, doesn't mean somebody who likes it is beneath you. You started a thread to "bash" Home On The Range and didn't expect people to defend it? It looks a lot like Emporer's New Groove as far as atmosphere , and as such it's going to have a cult following. I think you just went in with an expectation that wasn't truly applicable to the film. Don't talk down to people, especially involving something so trivial as a movie.

HMGhost13

do you want HOTR competeing with Spider-Man 2?

nope neither do i. smart move in putting it in april.

haven't seen it yet, don't know if i will (why with H_ellboy, The Punisher, Walking Tall...) but i hope it does fairly well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom