Coming to Orlando from October 7-17-will I get to experience some thunderstorms?

CaliforniaGal

Original Poster
I am from California and have been to Disneyland over 20 times. I'm taking my first trip to Disney World this October from 10/7-10/17. I chose this time so I could still be guaranteed warm enough for waterparks and. Evening swims and avoid crowds and humidity of summer. One thing is I've never experienced a thunderstorm up close since they are VERY rare in California and I want to experience one just to see what loud thunder and nearby lightning feel like but not have it rain EVERY day. What are the chances of getting 1-4 CLOSE UP thunderstorms and having the rest of the days dry. I've only heard thunder about 10 times in my life and think I'd get more adrenalin rush from a loud thunderstorm than all the rides put together. Also when is it safe to run around in a thunderstorm and when should I head in a building? I want to walk around in a swimsuit and shorts in warm tropical rain which California doesn't get cuz our rain is cold. I heard the thunderstorms are quite intense in summer but will they be gone by October? I think I'd be disappointed if I didn't at least one but I'd also be disappointed if it thundered the entire time. Do they shut down the pools in lightning? Is October the sweet spot for both thundery days and dry days?

Disvillain63

Well, there's a good chance to get a thunderstorm anytime of the year in the south...just some months are better than others. Historically, September is the peak of hurricane season, which usually brings some thunderstorms with it, and October is close behind. When the south has a thunderstorm, it is usually not an all-day and several days in a row event, so you won't have to worry about a total rainout; I've only had that happen once (1993) while visiting WDW and I still went to the parks everyday. The general rule of thumb is that if there is thunder, there is lightning. The pools will close and you really shouldn't stay outdoors. Locally, we close our pools until we have not seen lightning for 30 minutes; I don't know the rule in Florida. If it is thundering/lightning, then many of the outdoor attractions will shutdown temporarily...Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, etc..., plus Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach...golf courses, etc... If it is just a rainstorm, then by all means, enjoy it...puddles are fun too.

CaliforniaGal

Original Poster
I ended up going from September 8-16 due to changes on logistics and had a great time! Ended up not going to Universal cuz WDW had so much to do. Opted to spend my non Disney Days at Clearwater beach for one day and Coco Beach for the other day. Enjoyed Animal Kingdom and the Water Parks. Also enjoyed Epcot and Hollywood Studioes. Magic Kingdom is so close to DL that I only spent one afternoon/evening there so focused more on the other parks multiple times. Experienced some rain but only one close up thunderstorm (at Blizzard Beach)-lifeguards evacuated the pools/slides and told everyone to take cover. Thought it was hilarious when the lightning and thunder came close. It was truly awesome! Never experienced anything like it in my life! Only regret not being able to record the storm cuz I left my iphone in the hotel room (thought I wouldn't bother taking pics cuz I'd have everything in the locker anyway the whole time) Once the storm passed, the park reopened, everything was pretty much walk on. Did the Summit Plummet multiple times that day.

Plan to come back next October 2014 with foodie friend in order to experience the food and wine festival- this time I'm going to stay 2 weeks instead so I can check out Universal as well as add on 2 days in Miami and tour the Everglades.

Disvillain63

Glad you had a great time. We love to watch thunder & lightning storms. When one starts here at our house, we'll sit out on the porch and watch. I always put on my tennis shoes or flipflops to help 'ground' myself...it may not really work...but it helps me think I'm safer. Lightning can be fascinating.

CaliforniaGal

Original Poster
We only get thunder maybe once a year in California and it's from a distance. Someone told me that the average Californian would totally freak out in terror upon a typical Florida thunderstorm. I was a LITTLE startled by how loud the thunder was but it was far more exciting than scary. First time that I also had actually SMELLED thunder too. But it was a short one and the lightning was not that close (counted 2 seconds between the streaks and the thunder) The park only closed for a little over an hour. I was amazed how the locals just ignored the storm and casually carried on conversation or griped a little about the park being closed for a bit. If we had the same t-storm where I live, it would be the talk of the town for DAYS afterwards

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We only get thunder maybe once a year in California and it's from a distance. Someone told me that the average Californian would totally freak out in terror upon a typical Florida thunderstorm. I was a LITTLE startled by how loud the thunder was but it was far more exciting than scary. First time that I also had actually SMELLED thunder too. But it was a short one and the lightning was not that close (counted 2 seconds between the streaks and the thunder) The park only closed for a little over an hour. I was amazed how the locals just ignored the storm and casually carried on conversation or griped a little about the park being closed for a bit. If we had the same t-storm where I live, it would be the talk of the town for DAYS afterwards
I am sure must of us Floridians would wet ourselves when the ground starting shaking so it evens out.:)

Str8Jacket

The smell was actually ozone and not the thunder itself :).
Do you mean to tell me that you actually ENJOYED waiting on line, climbing steps for your turn to go down a slide to only be forced to turn back and to walk all the way back down those steps and stand under cover just to see some lightning and hear thunder? You were really standing there and laughing in front of all those people. That's just really bizarre! I should have come to see it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom