College Program

FutureCEO

Original Poster
So I have some questions. IM going into my freshman year of college and Im thinking about doing the college program sophmore year.

Can you do the WDWCP and still graduate with a degree from your college in four years? I know it's depending on the school but,...?

If your college can't give you any credit for doing this, do you risk going anyoway? (for those who have gone without their college giving them credit)

What are the classes like?

Is their like a shopping center nearby for like food and little things like that for the apartment?

Any other comments would be appreciated too.

JaynMACP96_97_9

Originally posted by FutureCEO
So I have some questions. IM going into my freshman year of college and Im thinking about doing the college program sophmore year.

Can you do the WDWCP and still graduate with a degree from your college in four years? I know it's depending on the school but,...?

Exactly. It all depends on what course loads you take. I finished in 5 years but if i'd taken 6-7 classes a semester i would have graduated in 4.

The difference between you and i is that i had no idea about the CP going into college. I found out about it two weeks before i went to the info session and interview. So if you really need to graduate in 4 years then just take a few extra courses each semester and it should work out for you.

If your college can't give you any credit for doing this, do you risk going anyoway? (for those who have gone without their college giving them credit)

Well that's all up to you really. The vast majority of the people who do the program consider it definately a great choice, including myself considering i returned for two more programs.

What are the classes like?

I'll leave this to someone who just did the program in the past two years. I know that your choices and their setups have changed alot since i first had to do the classes back in 1996.

Is their like a shopping center nearby for like food and little things like that for the apartment?

I don't know how familar you are with the area directly outside Disney property. But the zigzag road that goes to Downtown Disney is called Hotel Plaza Blvd. But directly opposite that is a stripmall with restaurants and a market that the CP shuttle goes to. But i would suggest taking your own car and shopping at Publix which is 3 minutes down the road in the opposite direction.

Any other comments would be appreciated too.

Feel free to PM me with re to anything you wouldn't want to post on these boards.

FutureCEO

Original Poster
Thanks for your help. I know about the Crossroads and thats it. :lol: I remember one trip, i was a little kid, still is but older (I'm short) but anyway, I remembere running out to the car at the exact moment lightening light up the sky

O yeah I was running out of Perkins

JaynMACP96_97_9

Originally posted by FutureCEO
Thanks for your help. I know about the Crossroads and thats it. :lol: I remember one trip, i was a little kid, still is but older (I'm short) but anyway, I remembere running out to the car at the exact moment lightening light up the sky

O yeah I was running out of Perkins

Well that's exactly what i was talking about, Crossroads, so yeah that would be the closest market, but i don't know if you've been in there, but its really catering to folks on vacation and is overpriced. There aren't that many locals who shop there, when Publix and two Walmart superstores are 10 mins away.

Perkins is a great place for after Pleasure Island, they used to be open all night, not sure if that's still the case.

Jungle Jim's and Friday's used to be the two places that had drink nights catering to CPers but they built a Bennigan's right next to the Walgreens that is in front of VistaWay.

But like i said, you definately want to bring your car if at all possible. Don't assume one of your roommates will have one and take you everywhere. Not all of your roommates always get along and you don't want to take that chance.

TURKEY

I had taken 6 hours during high school, but I took 15-17 hours each semester in college for the most part. After my freshman year, I took 1 class during summer school and worked. I then went my fall semester and interviewed and took the spring semester of my soph. year off.

I returned the next fall and went for a year. I wanted to graduate on time so I decided to take summer school (12 hours). Another thing is that many classes that I needed to graduate were only offered once a year either fall (mainly spring) or every other year. I also graduated with a double major.

I think that going to summer school for those terms were ok considering I graduated on time, 4 years after enrolling, and took a semsester off for the CP. I didn't get credit for my CP either. I could have received 6 hours for just working, but I would have had to pay tuition (not worth it) so I just took a leave of abscence from school.

TURKEY

There's a Walgreen's, Wendy's, convience store, Chic-Fil-A all right next to Vista Way (where you probally will be staying).

You've got the Crossroads about a mile in one direction, a shopping center with a Publix about 5 in the other.

If something happens and Chatham Square is reopened, there's a Walgreen's and Publix's in a shopping strip that hasn't been open very long within walking distance as well. The factory outlet (not sure of which name, Premium Factory Outlets???) is also within walking distance if needed.

I took one class, the Speaker's Series, no longer offered it appears. http://www.wdwcollegeprogram.com/sap/its/mimes/zh_wdwcp/students/frameset/frameset_credit.html

I started taking the Hospitality Mgmt. course, something I was really enjoying, but ended up dropping it. My schedule was morning/night/morning/night and I was working 50-60+ hours at the time and it was getting to me.

It was going to be work, but I was learning especially with several international program people in it. I still read my textbooks for the class.

I'd recommend any of the classes if working for Disney is something you might want to do in the future and just for learning purposes. Classes were made to be fun.

I know others that took classes and enjoyed them, and others that did, but hated it due to it took too much time away from partying, etc.

TURKEY

Originally posted by JaynMACP96_97_9
Hey turkeylegboy,

was Penny Hightower still teaching seminars when you did the program?

Yes, it was Penny and Pete Blank doing the seminars. Pete was teaching the Hospitality Mgmt. course.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom