Cinderella's Castle

MattyMitch

Original Poster
Hello!

I love wishes and I always think the way the castle lights up is so cool. But I wonder, how do they do it?

The lights seem to be all the way up the castle on different levels. I then start wondering about projections that are put on the castle in the show before wishes. Where are the projectors located to shoot on to the castle? Also, how does the castle sparkle in wishes?

Furthermore, how does Tinker Bell get to the top of the castle? I know the castle uses forced perspective (I think it's called that) to make it seem bigger than it really is so isn't the top fairly small, too small for a lift? Does she have to climb up a ladder?

I also think I was reading a DCP blog and the person worked PAC (I think) and she said she had to rope off the front of the castle for the fireworks. I thought the fireworks were actually far behind the castle.

I know its a lot of questions but I would like to know.

Thanks!!

Rob562

Lots of questions to answer...

-The general colored lighting for the Castle is mostly done from the shore of the waterway in front of the castle. You can clearly see these lights if you walk through the Castle, or up the side walkway from Sleepy Hollow to Fantasyland. There are also a few lights on the roof of the lower section to help fill in places that are blocked. These shore locations are also where they project the simple shapes and projections used *during* Wishes.

-The pre-show projection show is done using 16 high-powered projectors arranged in four groups of 4 projectors. Two of those groups are on the roofs of the Main Street buildings, one group is on top of the Cosmic Rays/Stitch building, and the final group is inside the second-level Christmas shop in Liberty Square behind the large windows that face the Castle.

-The sparkles in Wishes are strobes built into the Castle, mostly in door frames, window frames and window openings.

-Tink takes an elevator up as high as it goes in the Castle and then climbs the final story or two via ladder.

-While the main fireworks launch site is north of the park for the large high-altitude shells, there are launchers on the roofs of the Fantasyland building for the smaller ones to create the layered visuals. This requires that the courtyard behind the Castle be closed off starting 30-45 minutes before Wishes, until they make sure the area is clear after Wishes ends (usually not longer than 10-15 minutes). They stretch ropes across the walkway on either side of the Carousel, as well as close off the side walkways up behind the Castle. The Carousel stays open, the gift shops just behind the Castle close, and both the Princess M&G and Philharmagic go into a modified entrance pattern to allow entry but keep Guests under cover.
The only people that would be allowed beyond the ropes in front of the Castle and into the Castle would be anyone who has reservations for Royal Table or the Boutique, and Guests exiting from those locations would be directed out the front of the Castle (though I honestly don't know what they're doing while the ramps in front of the Castle are ripped up... They may hold people on either side until the show is over)

I think that about covers it.

-Rob

MattyMitch

Original Poster
Lots of questions to answer...

-The general colored lighting for the Castle is mostly done from the shore of the waterway in front of the castle. You can clearly see these lights if you walk through the Castle, or up the side walkway from Sleepy Hollow to Fantasyland. There are also a few lights on the roof of the lower section to help fill in places that are blocked. These shore locations are also where they project the simple shapes and projections used *during* Wishes.

-The pre-show projection show is done using 16 high-powered projectors arranged in four groups of 4 projectors. Two of those groups are on the roofs of the Main Street buildings, one group is on top of the Cosmic Rays/Stitch building, and the final group is inside the second-level Christmas shop in Liberty Square behind the large windows that face the Castle.

-The sparkles in Wishes are strobes built into the Castle, mostly in door frames, window frames and window openings.

-Tink takes an elevator up as high as it goes in the Castle and then climbs the final story or two via ladder.

-While the main fireworks launch site is north of the park for the large high-altitude shells, there are launchers on the roofs of the Fantasyland building for the smaller ones to create the layered visuals. This requires that the courtyard behind the Castle be closed off starting 30-45 minutes before Wishes, until they make sure the area is clear after Wishes ends (usually not longer than 10-15 minutes). They stretch ropes across the walkway on either side of the Carousel, as well as close off the side walkways up behind the Castle. The Carousel stays open, the gift shops just behind the Castle close, and both the Princess M&G and Philharmagic go into a modified entrance pattern to allow entry but keep Guests under cover.
The only people that would be allowed beyond the ropes in front of the Castle and into the Castle would be anyone who has reservations for Royal Table or the Boutique, and Guests exiting from those locations would be directed out the front of the Castle (though I honestly don't know what they're doing while the ramps in front of the Castle are ripped up... They may hold people on either side until the show is over)

I think that about covers it.

-Rob

Wow! Thanks for this Rob.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom