Christmas in the world?

Bethany M

Hey everyone! I have a quick question, this year my family and I (9 people) are going to be going away for Christmas and Disney is one of our options, I was wondering a few things.

• Obviously the crowds are going to be larger than normal but will they be manageable?
  • Were going to be staying at the Grand Floridian if we go, will they allow us to put up a small 4ft artificial tree in our room?
  • Is there any special events that will require a separate ticket like MNSSHP?
  • Which of the four parks would be best spent at on Christmas day?
  • Does Santa make an appearance anywhere on Christmas eve? My niece and nephew still believe in him and every year on Christmas eve they have to see him to get in a last minute plea for that pony that never seems to arrive.
  • Would you suggest a late dinner or an early dinner to beat the crowds? Were planning on eating at the resort.
  • Should we bring the few gifts were going to exchange to Disney with us or just wait until we go home to open them?
Thanks so much in advance!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
1. Crowds are insane. The parks, especially MK, often close due to capacity. You can work it, but you really need to know what you are doing.
2. Yes.
3. Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party is a hard ticketed event similar to MNSSHP.
4. I would go with Epcot. It handles the large crowds better. For the experience MK would be the one to go with, but be prepared to deal with the crowds.
5. You can find Santa in a number of meet n greets in and outside of the parks.
6. It is going to be 6 of one half a dozen of the other. Late ADRs might be easier to get, but it can cut into fireworks, Osbourne Lights time. Either way, you will need to make and table service restaurant reservations 180 days in advance.
7. Gifts can be a pain if you are flying. If you elect to do gifts bring small stuff that is east to pack.

Upvote 0

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
Head over to Touring Plans and use their service to look at which parks are best for which days. Mickey's Xmas party is fun, but you'll need to buy those tickets in advance as they sell out. Make sure you book ADR's as early as possible. We have been several times in late Nov and love the parks all decked out! We're also planning on trying to do Xmas at WDW in a year or two - not brave enough for those crowds just yet!

Upvote 0
We also plan on heading down for Christmas, in 2014. We have been to the World twice during Thanksgiving week. How do the crowds at Christmas compare to Thanksgiving? We felt while it was pretty packed over Thanksgiving, it was definitely doable if you knew what you were doing. :)

Upvote 0

m steve

We do Christmas at WDW every other year. This past visit (2012) was noticeably busier than previous years. I think that kevind has it right, though. If you know what you are doing and are prepared to wake up for rope drop, you will have a great time. The holiday atmosphere at the parks and resorts is wonderful. You can't beat Christmas morning at MK.

Upvote 0

Ariel484

1. Crowds are insane. The parks, especially MK, often close due to capacity. You can work it, but you really need to know what you are doing.
2. Yes.
3. Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party is a hard ticketed event similar to MNSSHP.
4. I would go with Epcot. It handles the large crowds better. For the experience MK would be the one to go with, but be prepared to deal with the crowds.
5. You can find Santa in a number of meet n greets in and outside of the parks.
6. It is going to be 6 of one half a dozen of the other. Late ADRs might be easier to get, but it can cut into fireworks, Osbourne Lights time. Either way, you will need to make and table service restaurant reservations 180 days in advance.
7. Gifts can be a pain if you are flying. If you elect to do gifts bring small stuff that is east to pack.
MVMCP ends the week before Christmas and after that you can see Holiday Wishes and the Christmas parade during normal park hours...right?
We also plan on heading down for Christmas, in 2014. We have been to the World twice during Thanksgiving week. How do the crowds at Christmas compare to Thanksgiving? We felt while it was pretty packed over Thanksgiving, it was definitely doable if you knew what you were doing. :)
I've read that the week before Christmas and New Year's is the worst time to go to WDW in terms of crowds...:(

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
MVMCP ends the week before Christmas and after that you can see Holiday Wishes and the Christmas parade during normal park hours...right?

:(
The last party in 2012 was 12/21. I am not exactly sure what days the Christmas Parade and Fireworks run after the last MVMCP.

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Well- it is very crowded, but it's just beautiful! You can mangage crowds by getting there early and taking advantage of fast pass.:D You've got to do it at least once!:) Thanksgiving is still pretty bad. Unfortunately all of the holidays as well as summer are very high level crowds! But go and enjoy!:D

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

I've never gone right at Christmas, but the decorations are so pretty and everything feels so festive that it's worth seeing it. Plus, even if you go after MVMCP stops running, you'll get the parade and Holiday Wishes. I have several good friends that go around Dec 18-23 every year and while the crowds really build towards the end, they have made the most of it with good toaring approaches/plans. And based on the number of times I've seen the alert go up that MK has closed due to capacity crowds, that's probably the last park you'd want to be in on Christmas day... unless you want wall to wall people. :D Seriously though, it's a beautiful time to visit.

Upvote 0

luv

Not really.

Yes.

MVMCP. But if you go right around the holiday itself, you get all that stuff without the party.

I'd probably go to Epcot...but they'll all be busy. Some may close down because they're too full. Happened to a girl I knew who showed up at the MK at noon on Christmas and couldn't get in!

I'm not positive, but I think so.

I don't think it makes any difference at all. Just have a reservation!

I'd do the exchanging at home. Traveling with gifts is a pain. IMO.

All in all, I'd go somewhere else. Christmas is so expensive and so busy!! If you do go, pony up the dough to join touringplans.com and make use of the custom plans!

Upvote 0

swissamy

One thing that may make it easier, provided that it actually is introduced and working, will be the fastpass+ system that will allow you to reserve some ride fastpasses in advance. That should at least make it possible to ride some favourites during a busy day! We used to go to the world the day after Christmas and stay until after New Years and it is packed, not crowded but packed. The right attitude makes it fun while feeling stressed that if you do not do "Everything", you are somehow losing out will make you continually frustrated. Take time to enjoy the options for Christmas at the hotels, the decorations are amazing and have fun!! I love seeing trees in rooms (you can see inside from a value or moderate), some people decorate their doors or windows too! Go to Ft Wilderness for a sleigh ride to see the Christmas decorations...oh man, now I want to go!!

Upvote 0

Jessica Meier

We went in 2007, arriving Christmas Day and stayed through New Year's Eve day. We had a blast. It was my first trip. My husband and I were serious and tried to get to the parks at opening and pretty much did. We rode every ride we wanted and saw all the parades. We were able to walk up to CRT at park opening and get in. In fact, we were sat at a two seater directly overlooking the carousel. AMAZING. We managed to secure a reservation for Liberty Tavern for 7 that evening too (it was day after Christmas). Yes it was crowded, but it did not put a damper on our vacay. We plan even more now and plan to go again either in 2014 or 2015 the week between Christmas and New Years. Shhh, my husband doesn't know yet. :D

Upvote 0

mickeysmyman

Totally worth it!!! We did it this past Christmas for the first time and everything about it was amazing. Christmas day was spent at MK. We got there at rope drop and rode everything we wanted to by 10:30. There was also 9 in our group. We took a break mid day for lunch at the Plaza very relaxing and had dinner at BOG. The Christmas day fireworks were the perfect ending to a perfect day.

We stopped by GF Christmas Eve for a gingerbread shingle and Santa was set up in the lobby with a very short line.

Overall it was the best Christmas we have ever experienced and I highly suggest everyone to try it at least once. It was crowded but nothing unbearable.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom