Christmas Cards....did you change ?

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Facebook and other social media allow many people to share their family photos and greet friends and family all 12 months of the year. In my opinion this seems to have taken away from the enthusiasm for doing Christmas cards. I've reduced mine but have not totally eliminated them.
HOW ABOUT ALL OF YOU? DO YOU STILL SEND OUT CHRISTMAS CARDS?
or........Have you reduced the amount you send out?
Are you noticing you get less than you used to?
Do you agree with me that participation in this tradition is fading because it seems almost unnecessary due to Facebook and other social media?

Nemo14

I don't do Facebook, but I do send digital family photos throughout the year. I've cut down on the amount of cards I send and receive but I still send a dozen or so to friends that I like to keep in touch with.

Goofyernmost

This is the Chit Chat Thread isn't it? Whatever, I still do the card thing, but, I do not send any to people that I haven't received any card from the previous year. I know a couple of very elderly people, even older then me, and they use things like American Greeting online cards that come through in e-mail form. I'm fine with that. Facebook is to broad to be personal so, if that were the way people chose to do it... I would consider it to be lazy, rude and unworthy of any further relationship.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Sent about 20 cards last week. I always like looking through the cards in the stores, as it gets me in the holiday spirit. This year I bought a box of Unicef cards, so I figure I'm getting extra mileage that way--people receive cards and a part of the profit on the sale goes to Unicef for the world's children.

The number of cards received has gone down in past years; some people don't send them anymore, and a few of them send electronic cards. I prefer regular cards, as I also hang them up--they're fun for anyone to glance through if they come to the house.

When I was a kid (family of 6) my parents used to send out almost 250 each Christmas season. (Over 150 of those were my father's business associates.) We actually had an assembly line (so to speak ;) ) of all six of us working on this as a weekend project in early December. My mother had the nicest handwriting, so she'd write out all the cards and envelopes. Some of us would stuff the envelopes with the cards, others would seal them, and others were on stamp duty. :) To tell you the truth, I miss those days. :(

21stamps

Today, on Dec. 12th I just received only my 3rd Christmas card in the mail. A decade ago I would have had 15 by now.
Just sayin' :cautious:;)

This is my second consecutive year that I forgot to order cards... August - December just flies by for me.. it’s the most hectic section of the year.

In 2018 I will return to sending out Christmas Cards! I should set an alert on my phone to remind me.. an alert in July ;)

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
This is my second consecutive year that I forgot to order cards... August - December just flies by for me.. it’s the most hectic section of the year.

In 2018 I will return to sending out Christmas Cards! I should set an alert on my phone to remind me.. an alert in July ;)
Thanks for posting on this thread @21stamps
Did you receive a bunch yourself, or have you only received a small number like me?

21stamps

Thanks for posting on this thread @21stamps
Did you receive a bunch yourself, or have you only received a small number like me?

I received 2 today. I think I’m up to 7 or 8 now. Last year at this time I had received several more. I don’t know if this year’s lower amount is due to me not sending cards last year, or if other people just skipped it this year.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
I received 2 today. I think I’m up to 7 or 8 now. Last year at this time I had received several more. I don’t know if this year’s lower amount is due to me not sending cards last year, or if other people just skipped it this year.
Hmm....no way to know...could be either. I don't feel sentimental or sad this year. I went through that last year. Now I feel grateful that I bought just 2 boxes with 14 cards in each. So far I have just used one box and I don't feel guilty at all. ;)

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
I feel as the OP I should give an update. Truthfully I've now received about 2 dozen cards. I went into the attic to bring down the Christmas wrapping paper and I found some unused Christmas Cards that were left over from last year. Now between the ones I purchased this year and those I purchased last year, I've now sent out 2 dozen as well.
Merry Christmas everyone!
:)
Steve

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom