Trip Report Cheerful Goodbye to 2020 and Optimistic Hello to 2021! Video Trip Report - Updated July 26th 2021

Introduction:

Hey everyone! My family decided to go ahead and use our remaining DVC points over the week of NYE to ring in the new year at the most magical place on earth. We had heard how safe Disney had been with all the precautions so we decided to go forward with the plans and head on down to Disney World!

We went from December 27-January 3rd and stayed at the Boardwalk Inn Villas for the full week with 4 nights in a 2 bedroom villa and then 3 nights in a 1 bedroom villa. We had 2 days in Magic Kingdom, 2 Days in Hollywood Studios, 1 Day in EPCOT and 1 Day in Animal Kingdom. I love vlogging so most of my post are just going to be recaps of the video with the full video able to watch if you would like to :). Feel free to follow along and engage in any conversation, I love talking to new people - especially about Disney!

In case you don't want to read/watch - it was an AMAZING trip even in this different time and we felt super safe the whole time in Disney :)

Please enjoy!

Chapters:

1: Delayed Flights and Yummy Treats
2: Exploring the Boardwalk and 2 Bedroom Villa Tour
3: Boarding Groups and Rope Dropping Toy Story Land
4: 1st time on Mickey and Minnie's Railway AND at Galaxy's Edge
5: Rise of the Resistance and Food!
6: Rockin Around Hollywood
7: Flying the Millennium Falcon
8: Closing Down Hollywood Studios
9: A Very Early Animal Kingdom Morning
10: Yak And Yeti with a Side of Safari
11: Closing Down Animal Kingdom
12: Disney Springs!

13: Magic Kingdom, Hooray!!
14: Rides and Magic at the Magic Kingdom
15: A Busy Afternoon in Magic Kingdom

16: Our Magic Day Continues
17: A Truly Magical Evening
18: Sad Goodbye But Happy Hellos
19: Festival of the Holidays
20: Space And Imagination Make For A Great Combo
21: New Years Eve at EPCOT
22: Back to the Studios!

Last edited:

NotZacHoward

Original Poster
I still think you are a nice brother! We went in 2019 with my brother, his husband, and their daughter. My brother is NOT an early riser and he tends to be chronically late. There were a couple of mornings where we just agreed to meet up later so that my crew didn't have to miss out on things. We did a lot of breakfast ADRs and such and his...didn't. When they got to the park, they'd send us a message to find out where we were and then we'd get together wherever it was convenient. My brother is also really crabby until he's had his coffee in the morning. His husband is much more sociable in the morning.:D And my niece has WAAAAAY too much energy early in the morning. But I don't think any of us ever even thought to call the others' room and ask if we could bring anything from the QS or market for breakfast. We just did our own thing!
Haha I totally understand that dynamic. Some of my friends are NOT morning people either, especially on vacation lol. Its better to just let people do their thing to not allow for fights and crabby people - especially at Disney! Maybe the nice gesture of breakfast will get him going a little faster in some cases :)
So fun following along! We love the Boardwalk Villas for it's views and great location to the parks!
Thank you so much! We do as well, it was our second time at this resort and we just LOVE it! Not having to wait for a bus for two parks...and hardly ever a wait for the bus either when needed!

meggo819

Chapter 5: Rise of the Resistance And Food!

The time has finally come - all the stress of getting the board group is about to be tested to see if it was worth it. Our boarding group was called!! I think the time was around 10:45 and we had boarding group 27 - in case anyone was curious about how long we had to wait. We headed over to Rise of the Resistance, scanned in and walked through the very very incredible queue line. Honestly, for me, the ride started as soon as you scanned your magic band for your boarding group! It just was all so well done and so many things to look at with so many noises happening around us as well. We had minimal wait to actually start the experience, maybe 10 minutes which was a lot better than what it looked like earlier. I won’t spoil anything (and you can skip to 14:48 in the video to not spoil anything) but the ride was definitely worth the stress of getting a boarding group AND even exceed expectations - and that’s coming from non Star Wars fans. There is just so much happening at all times and so much to see and do that its hard to really take it all in on just one ride. If you can, you MUST try out that ride, truly incredible.
After that, we were super hungry, it had been a while since we all woke up and we were on the go go go all morning. We decided to mobile order from the ABC Commissary as the menu looked good for everyone. Mobile Ordering was super fast and efficient, this was our first time ever doing it and we were highly pleased with the experience. We placed our order on our phone and we were called within about 10 minutes that our food was ready, so a super quick experience for us (and this was consistent with the whole week pretty much). We got a few of the buffalo chicken grilled cheeses, a California chicken sandwich, shrimp curry and the plant based burger for Jakey. This was such a nice time to just relax and take our masks off, be off our feet and just enjoy sitting down in some air conditioning while replenishing with food, water and some caffeine. The food from ABC Commissary was miles better than what any of us remember - honestly one of the best quick service places we ate at all week! We all left super pleased with our meals and ready to take on the rest of the day because it was only about 12:30 by this time!

This was fun hearing all the genuine reactions from y'all having no idea what was coming!

NotZacHoward

Original Poster
Chapter 6: Rockin Around Hollywood

Now that our belly's were full and energy was back to maximum, it was time to conquer more rides! We walked down Sunset Boulevard in hopes that Tower of Terror was going to be a doable line - boy were we wrong. It was up to about 80 minutes at this time and the line just looked super long (even taking into consideration the social distancing). So we ended up jumping in line for Rockin Rollercoaster. It was a posted 45 minute so we didn't think that it would be too bad as typically this ride seems to be always around an hour when we are here during "normal" times. We only ended up waiting 30 minutes - with a pause for cleaning! So glad we just decided to do it, and thats when we realized we were just going to have to decide what we want to ride and stand in line while hoping it isn't as long as posted.

After Rockin Rollercoaster we headed back to Toy Story Midway Mania (a family favorite) to get another round of shooting in. That ride is just SO much fun and we can never get enough of it. It is always a big competition in the family to try to get the best and always a personal goal of mine to try and get best of the hour. However, it is just so hard to get best of the hour as there are some serious professionals who ride this ride and really know all the tricks and I just am not one of them lol.

After that, it was about 1:30ish I think and Brenae was going to meet her boyfriend at the hotel who was flying in today. While she went to do that, the rest of us decided to do some rides that she does not like because of her motion sickness. We headed to Alien Swirl Saucers, which is just so much fun and honestly really thrilling when you slide back and forth really fast. Then we headed back to Galaxy's Edge to get some Star Wars themed drinks (a bit expensive but fun for the uniqueness of it all). Mom and Jake got the water while Clint got the fun Coke bottle that I may have actually kept hehe. We really enjoyed that they used the term "credits" since that apparently is the money that is used in Star Wars, thanks to Clint we know that fact now. Then we headed in line for Star Tours as it was a posted 35 and I believe we waited just around there for it, again - not to bad at all given it was a holiday week! I really enjoy that they are doing more of the "older" ones and not always doing the new trilogies paths, very nice to spice it up! A great afternoon exploring Hollywood Studios and getting all the rides done :)

NotZacHoward

Original Poster
Chapter 7: Flying the Millennium Falcon

After exploring Star Tours, Brenae let us know that her and Chris made it back into the park and hopped in line for Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run. It was a posted 60 minute wait time when they got in line so we didn't think it would be that bad. We weren't quite sure what this ride was going to be either, I had heard it was like star tours meets toy story. As mentioned, we aren't much of a Star Wars loving family; however, we still enjoy rides and experiences that are fun. The line constantly was moving as we were waiting except for a short cleaning stage they needed to do. This really gave us a chance to look at all the things Galaxy's Edge had to offer visually and we also got to see backstage which was pretty cool! We wound up waiting around 65 minutes, so pretty close to the posted time. Everyone ended up really loving it, despite a few choice words while experiencing it :)

We then rode a few more rides (obviously Toy Story Midway Mania again) and then headed over to Rosie's All American Cafe as we all were feeling pretty hungry. Quick serve locations were pretty bare at Hollywood Studios but Rosies All American had a vegan lobster roll that really sparked Jake's interested so we just decided to dine there (we aren't the sickest eaters and can really find something anywhere). It was a very good meal and definitely gave us enough energy to get through the rest of the day as that early alarm clock was starting to catch up with us all.

Songbird76

Chapter 7: Flying the Millennium Falcon

After exploring Star Tours, Brenae let us know that her and Chris made it back into the park and hopped in line for Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run. It was a posted 60 minute wait time when they got in line so we didn't think it would be that bad. We weren't quite sure what this ride was going to be either, I had heard it was like star tours meets toy story. As mentioned, we aren't much of a Star Wars loving family; however, we still enjoy rides and experiences that are fun. The line constantly was moving as we were waiting except for a short cleaning stage they needed to do. This really gave us a chance to look at all the things Galaxy's Edge had to offer visually and we also got to see backstage which was pretty cool! We wound up waiting around 65 minutes, so pretty close to the posted time. Everyone ended up really loving it, despite a few choice words while experiencing it :)

We then rode a few more rides (obviously Toy Story Midway Mania again) and then headed over to Rosie's All American Cafe as we all were feeling pretty hungry. Quick serve locations were pretty bare at Hollywood Studios but Rosies All American had a vegan lobster roll that really sparked Jake's interested so we just decided to dine there (we aren't the sickest eaters and can really find something anywhere). It was a very good meal and definitely gave us enough energy to get through the rest of the day as that early alarm clock was starting to catch up with us all.

You totally cracked me up with all the bleeping towards the end of Millenium Falcon. My husband was sitting next to me and had to look to see what I was watching. So much fun.

NotZacHoward

Original Poster
You totally cracked me up with all the bleeping towards the end of Millenium Falcon. My husband was sitting next to me and had to look to see what I was watching. So much fun.
Haha, we were very vocal on that ride because we had no idea what was going on 🤣 so glad you enjoyed it!

I've only ridden MF once, by myself since I was on a solo trip. I was a gunner. I don't remember a thing about it, so thank you so much for this ride! It sure lasted a lot longer on your video than I remember! 😁
Hahaha! I am glad you got to remember it via video - things go by so much faster in real life!

What a fun start! I am never my best self on travel day, so I really admire all the positive attitudes and energy! Such a fun group!
Also, hoping you guys made it on ToT, because moms just wanna have fun.
We always just have so much energy built up before a trip it comes unleashed on the travel day haha. Yes she deserves to have fun, shes that best!

NotZacHoward

Original Poster
Chapter 8: Closing Down Hollywood Studios

After a delicious dinner, we were going to try to ride Rockin Rollercoaster again since the line didn't seem as long anymore - mom went ahead of us to get in line and start the journey through the line. However, as she was in line, it unfortunately broke down :/ So we thought, well we might as well just stick out Tower of Terror and just hope for the best. When we got in line it only said 65, then it jumped up to 80 and then it jumped up to 110 minutes! We were definitely hoping that it wouldn't be the later but more in the 60 minute range. Even though it was a long wait, it definitely went by super quickly and was totally worth it (it is a fan favorite in my family, especially my moms and as you all know she's been wanting to ride this all day). After the 80 minute wait we ran to Rockin Rollercoaster as we thought it might be open but alas it was not. So that was definitely a bummer but we all roll with the punches because not everything can go 100% as people want on a vacation!

We only had 10 minutes until park close so we decided to high tail it over to Toy Story Land to try to get one last ride in for the day. Slinky Dog was a posted 40 minutes however where the line was we knew it wouldn't be that long at all. We waited maybe 20 minutes before riding our final ride of the night! We then headed out and stopped to do some shopping and really take it all in. So crazy that the first day has already come to close, it was such an awesome day and really was more than we were hoping for given the state of things. We then decided to just walk back to the Boardwalk, ask some questions for the end of the day and grab some drinks and snacks because why not, we were in Disney!

NotZacHoward

Original Poster
Chapter 9: A Very Early Animal Kingdom Morning

After our awesome day at Hollywood Studios, we were on a mission to make today just as awesome, if not more! We tried to get up super early to get to Animal Kingdom as early as possible (park opened at 7); however, it is just so hard to get out of Disney beds - they are so comfortable. There was also 6 of us so getting ready takes a bit longer with only two bathrooms lol! We were at the bus stop by 6:15 and then at Animal Kingdom right before park opened, around 6:50. So all things considered, I think that was pretty good! We weren't there for "unofficial" opening but still were there before 7:00! We headed straight to Flight of Passage as did most other guests and we saw a huge line! However, we assumed this would be the quickest line of the day so we stuck it out. It ended up being right at an hour so not awful for this ride and it is always worth it! It was a few of the people's first time riding it so it was awesome to see their reaction to that stellar ride.

We then headed over to Expedition Everest as it was not a posted long wait and we wanted to be able to just jump on a few more rides without having to wait long again. We waited no more than 10 minutes and it was just another fun ride! The backwards section always is my favorite as it just makes you feel so out of control and just awesome :)

ferbtones

Fab update.
I grinned all the way through the Expedition Everest part. It’s my favourite ride at AK, bearing in mind I haven’t been since 2015, and it brought back great memories.
So enjoying watching your lovely family.

NotZacHoward

Original Poster
You are from STL?
Woo woo woo, I just pressed play on your video and saw the SEMO mask, my wife and I went there!
Yes, what a small world omg! That is so cool :) I also worked there for a couple years as well, it definitely has my heart!

Fab update.
I grinned all the way through the Expedition Everest part. It’s my favourite ride at AK, bearing in mind I haven’t been since 2015, and it brought back great memories.
So enjoying watching your lovely family.
Oh my gosh, it is my favorite as well! It is so exciting and just the whole experience is everything to me. Thank you so much for all your kind words, it is really so much appreciated!

NotZacHoward

Original Poster
Such a fun group! I think Clint needs to play the lottery, he is really good at guessing the ride wait times!
Honestly! Thats was we were saying - I think he is just the most realistic one out of all of us which plays in his favor lol. The rest of us wanted the wait times to be lower than anticipated hehe.

I guess we officially left there in 2015. We are actually staying at The Boardwalk in May, do you mind if I message you with some questions?
Yeah, I am not from around there anymore; however, my family still is! Of course you can :) Happy to answer any and all questions

NotZacHoward

Original Poster
Chapter 10: Yak And Yeti With A Side of Safari

Even though we got up super early, we are still ready to tackle everything we can in Animal Kingdom before the crowds get way too outrageous. We head over to Dinosaur to check that off our list and scare the bajeebers out of Clint and Karen (it always scares Karen to no end and Clint has just never rode it so I assumed he would get scared lol). As always it was a loud, dark and fun ride! We hardly waited at all, maybe 20 minutes so it was not bad at all for us. We actually got on right before a cleaning as well so that was super lucky for us as well!

After Dinosaur, we decided to hit up the gift shops for a while. We all were wanting some souvenirs at this moment and the holiday stuff was on sale for 70% off, so naturally we wanted to look at any and all deals we could find! After shopping, we got in line for Its Tough To Be a Bug - the line looked super duper long, however we honestly only waited about 10 minutes. For reference, the line was almost to the entrance so we were nervous it was going to be the 30 minute posted time but alas it was not!

After our tough and exciting morning, we were so ready for food and time to just sit down without a mask on for a while. We had reservations at Yak and Yeti as Karen, Brenae and I fell in LOVE with this place in the summer of 2019 when we dined there for the first time. We were so excited to take everyone back and see/taste the delicious food we came to love at Yak and Yeti. It honestly was even better than we remembered - we splurged a bit as this was our only big meal as a whole family and we really wanted to just go all out because we are just extra like that :).

After Yak and Yeti we waddled over to the safari because we didn't want to get on anything too extremely as we were all stuffed to the brim from the delicious food. This safari was absolutely AMAZING! So many animals were out and about just hanging out and it was just so exciting! I am not sure if it was the time of day/year that we went but I honestly loved it, best safari I can remember. The line for the safari started by the Festival of the Lion King show building however, it never ever stopped moving. The 20ish minute wait felt like 5 minutes because we really just kept moving and shaking.

After the safari - it was time to get SOAKED :) I love love love water rides so much and must ride all water rides when I can, even if others aren't excited to get wet. We headed over to Kali River Rapids and it honestly looked like no one was getting wet so everyone was okay with riding this ride. We did not wait long at all for this ride either - again about 20 minutes for this wait as well. I got my 360 degree camera out to get a cool video of the ride so I hope you all enjoy that as well. We all got pretty wet, more wet than what others seemed to be getting wet when we watched them walk off. Honestly we may have been being dramatic but thats just what you get with this family, we can't help it :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom