News Celebrate Soulfully at Disney's Animal Kingdom with a new show in Harambe

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Animal-Kingdom_Full_46226.jpg

TikibirdLand

Animal-Kingdom_Full_46226.jpg
While I like that they're celebrating black history month, shouldn't there be celebrations in other parks too?
DAK seems to do a good job of celebrating African culture and history and, by extension, black culture and history. The other parks? Not so much. In fact, all you get in EPCoT is a food booth and the memory of what Alex Haley said was planned for the area.

castlecake2.0

While I like that they're celebrating black history month, shouldn't there be celebrations in other parks too?
DAK seems to do a good job of celebrating African culture and history and, by extension, black culture and history. The other parks? Not so much. In fact, all you get in EPCoT is a food booth and the memory of what Alex Haley said was planned for the area.
room for improvement but there’s the Soul exhibit at American Adventure as well as a line up of food/art/entertainment at Disney Springs.

TikibirdLand

room for improvement but there’s the Soul exhibit at American Adventure as well as a line up of food/art/entertainment at Disney Springs.
that all sounds like pandering, to me. The Black experience is much richer than a Disney exhibit on a previous movie. That's almost as cringey as the Star Cruiser commercial.

castlecake2.0

that all sounds like pandering, to me. The Black experience is much richer than a Disney exhibit on a previous movie. That's almost as cringey as the Star Cruiser commercial.
The exhibit is actually really well done and focuses more on the history of soul/jazz music than the actual movie. There’s a travelling version of the exhibit visiting museums across the country. The real cringe is the lack of representation in the American Adventure show.

JohnD

Well let's see:
MK: Main Street or the Castle Hub are the most likely locations. Preview of Princess and the Frog Re-theme in currently closed Briar Patch. (Look. It's going to be re-themed. Use this month to promote it.)
EP: Exhibit in American Adventure. Entertainment in American Theatre and African Outpost
HS: Central stage, Hollywood Blvd, or Sunset Blvd

eliza61nyc

It's not pandering. Of course our experience is much richer, the goal is not to try and describe the whole narrative of being African American, heck there are fabulous museums all over america that can't do that. It's simply a way to celebrate the culture. to give one example of that culture. "Steppin" is just one small slice that is fun to watch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom