Castle overlays, Past Present and Worldwide..Picture links enclosed

arcsbite

Original Poster
I remember someone in here asking not too long ago about Castle overlays, and about how everyone LOVED the 25th Cake overlay :lookaroun

I am an avid fan of castle alterations, I think it's just the idea of changing an icon, a massive icon, for so many people, and trying to get it right.

..anywho, I have a collection of various overlays from over the years and I wanted to share them, especially as I saw someone asking about Disneyland Resort Paris' Cake overlay back in 1993.

So here they are

Please note, I did not take ANY of these pictures except the prototype tester for WDW in December.
I collected them from various places on the net.
If you own any of these and want crediting/them removed, please just let me know..

The Paris Cake from 1993, used to celebrate DLRP's 1st year

Needs no real intro other than The WDW Cake

Paris' 5th Birthday "Hunchback" themed overlay from circa 1997

WDW gets the first of many Stitch treatments in 2004

The artist impression of Disneyland's 50th overlay

A not too pretty realisation of Disneylands 50th overlay (so far anyway)

don't know if it was because the Hunchback overlay caused structural damamge or budgets..but DLRP only got a banner for their 10th birthday circa 2002

The prototype turret cover for WDWs 50th circa December 2004

The artist impression of WDWs 50th overlay

The almost complete WDW 50th overlay circa..umm..now..ish - Credit to Chape19714 for this picture.

If you know of any other overlays please let me know :)

EDITED - Links changed, http://allthingswdw.conforums.com/ are stealing images and bandwidth!

LilDucky

The castle cake wouldnt have been as bad if they didnt make the "icing" pink. They shouldve gone with blue (or maybe with nothing at all lol). Even the castle cake in Paris didnt look as bad. I dont know how the rest of you feel, but that hunchback overlay was neat! Its pretty cute :) .

Captain Chaos

I was in WDW to see the pink cake castle in person and I didn't like it. I admit, I took plenty of pictures of it, since it was something different. But I just didn't like it...

Rumor has it that when Eisner leaves as CEO, he is going to have a giant sculpture of his head placed where the giant mirror currently is. I heard this from a friend of a friend of his cousin's mother's sister's uncle's former roommate.... :lookaroun

CtCF

Man, those towers look so bland without the gold lacing, as I've said before, the rest of it can go, but I really want the gold trim on the towers to stay...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
They can get rid of that hideous "Magic Mirror" on the front of the Castle, though. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Other than that, the gold overlays are nice. maybe a few less characters, though.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
i dont know about anyone else but I would be devistated if I was a little kid and saw the Disneyland castle looking like a present now....

tigsmom

Thanks for putting them together! I just love the different castle overlays

(and I still like the castle cake)

nicholas

Thanks for the collection. I kinda like the Hunchback overlay in Paris. But it caused structural damage? Any details on that?

arcsbite

Original Poster
paris structural damage
nicholas said:
Thanks for the collection. I kinda like the Hunchback overlay in Paris. But it caused structural damage? Any details on that?

I'm not sure what the situation was, but apparently the hat on the tallest turret caused the damage, and this is why they are reluctant to overlay the castle in future.
Can't seem to find any further info.

FigmentJedi

You know, the tarp isn't on the Disneyland Castle anymore. I think that they are installing the jold, I mean gold onto the castle.

maxime29

Premium Member
Funny that they did an overlay for DLP's 1st anniversary. I like the Castle of Fools for the 5th but still sort of too early to celebrate anything.

SewIn2Disney

Thank you for putting all of this together! I was the one who had asked the question about the Paris cake, since I had liked the WDW cake so much.

Thanks again! :wave:

ImaginEAR

Ya, I remember making one of these thread loooooong ago, but I love them all, except for that horrid hat castle. ______.

Thanks for putting this together!

JoeyJoe

Despite what everyone says, looking at all those pictures, the castle cake at WDW was the most creative, elaborate re-creation of the castle. It really took the word "overlay" to new heights. Although the color palate wasn't liked by most, credit still must be given where credit is due. The new "mirror" looks out of scale and tacky. I can slap a huge mirror in front of my home and project pictures on it. It is not nearly as eye popping and thought inspired as the castle cake was. It kinda looks cheap. You have to admit, it is kinda cool that an entire castle can look like a birthday cake, whether you like pink or not. The thought alone is pretty cool. I don't consider some gold garland and an oversized mirror an overlay anymore than i consider toliet paper.

Just my opinion, anyway, they are just overlays, no one can contest that nothing is more beautiful than the castle on its own.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom