Castle of magical dreams, recolor edits

ParkPeeker

Original Poster
Hello, making a thread for any of my hkdl castle color edits, feel free to post any of yours too.

Been obsessed with this castle since it was announced, mainly because it was an edit of sbc, the castle of my home park. Speaking of Disneyland, here’s my first color edit, I was curious to see how the castle would look at Disneyland so I edited one of the pictures I took last year. Here it is at Disneyland with the current Anaheim color scheme. (I know I just did a horrible thing for a lot of Disneyland fans 🤭)
A3C315A8-EBA2-4946-A96A-C1ACE0ABAF94.jpeg

ok well my curiosity has been quenched for now, don‘t know when I’ll post another edit, but I have been thinking of editing the colors with a similar theme/mindset of the current castle (colorful/different princesses/etc).

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
I really want to read the artists' statement for Castle of Magical Dreams, especially the color choices. With HKDL's park design being infused with Chinese feng shui, I wouldn't be surprised if Doris Woodward, Douglas Rogers, and their teams looked at Chinese color meanings for the new castle colors.

ParkPeeker

Original Poster
I really want to read the artists' statement for Castle of Magical Dreams, especially the color choices. With HKDL's park design being infused with Chinese feng shui, I wouldn't be surprised if Doris Woodward, Douglas Rogers, and their teams looked at Chinese color meanings for the new castle colors.
Huh, you bring up an interesting point. I kinda just assumed it was the diversity castle, with colors based on the heroines themselves, and that the finished project is a result of them running with the diversity theme while still trying to create as cohesive a castle as possible.

LittleMerman

Very cool edit - it looks really pretty! I love the yellow color palette of Castle of Magical Dreams - it's so unique. I don't like that WDW changed Cinderella Castle to pink and blue to match Disneyland and it looks like the new Paris castle re-paint matches that too. I like each castle having its own identity and palette.

Just for fun I've attached some edits I made a while ago based on the Tangled concept art that was considered for the Hong Kong castle transformation. I love this color scheme as well!

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

sedati

I'll always remember our trip to Walt's Disneyland and as we approached the park (from the original parking lot) my mother yelled out, "THEY TORE DOWN THE CASTLE?"

We had been to WDW already and we had to tell her the castle was there, it was just too small to see from outside.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Huh, you bring up an interesting point. I kinda just assumed it was the diversity castle, with colors based on the heroines themselves, and that the finished project is a result of them running with the diversity theme while still trying to create as cohesive a castle as possible.
I think in the castles episode from Behind the Attraction, Doris said that she wanted "all the colors" (of the Disney Princesses, I think) on CMD. Obviously, that didn't pan out as we only have yellow (Belle?), cyan (Ariel? Jasmine?), green (Tiana? Merida?), sky blue (Cinderella? Moana? Elsa?), copper, tan brown, and off-white (if I identified the colors correctly). If I understood it correctly, for the Chinese, yellow is the color of royalty and power, cyan represents hope and honor, blue for calmness and trust, and brown for industry and groundedness, all of which are the qualities of a Disney princess. I guess they tried to really differentiate it from Shanghai's ESC but still imbue it with "distinctly Chinese" (Bob Iger's words, not mine) meanings.

I don't like that WDW changed Cinderella Castle to pink and blue to match Disneyland and it looks like the new Paris castle re-paint matches that too. I like each castle having its own identity and palette.
Granted, Paris had the pink color on its castle walls first since 1997 (the first repainting). If anything, Anaheim and Orlando merely copied it after (I guess) they saw how good it looked. Paris, setting the trend once again. 💁🏻‍♂️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom