Cars Land vs Hogsmeade

Better land?

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
Both lands are highly immersive and well themed. Both have excellent rides (Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey and Radiator Springs Racers). Good supporting rides (Flight of the Hippogriff, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters).
Both do well capturing the movies they're based on. Both have incredible details everywhere throughout. Better land?
This is comparing Hollywood's version of Hogsmeade, not Orlando's with the amazing Hagrid's, otherwise, it's not even close.

Welcome to Cars Land - Disney Tourist Blog
Disney Parks After Dark: Reflections of Cars Land in the Rain | Disney  Parks Blog
11 CARS | Lightning McQueen ideas | lightning mcqueen, lightning, blonde  hair boy
Radiator Springs Racers - Wikipedia

vs.

Hogsmeade (Universal Studios Hollywood)
Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Universal Studios Hollywood
wizarding-world-harry-potter-universal-hollywood-los-angeles-012.jpg
Dine Like Harry Potter at the Hog's Head Pub Inside Universal Studios  Hollywood - Eater LA
Wizarding World of Harry Potter Design - Universal Studios Hollywood |  Architectural Digest

Last edited:

celluloid

Just a note you also forget that one of Potter's supporting attractions is another E Ticket.

What is the role of the guest in Carsland?

I know that The Wizarding World can be kind of vague and you can be a muggle one moment or a wizard the next, but having the personal achievement and acknowledgement makes a huge difference for me.

Carsland was pretty at night and Radiator Spring's Racer's Dark ride scenes are fun, but it does not compare unless perhaps the thrill and the height requirement is the only concern for Potter's rides.

The shopping and strolling of Hogsmeade wins for me hands down. The interactive wands do not do anything specifically for me but Olivanders and the live entertainment are magical. When theme park lands do this it feels more alive like the world goes beyond what you can see.

Potter has developed changes that typically enhance the atmosphere since it has opened and has made additions where Carsland, to my knowledge has only had changes for the flat ride factors that did not work.

celluloid

This is about USH's Hogsmeade, not Orlando's.

Sorry, I did not realize it was in this thread. Bad form on my part for not reading right since your post was very well thought out compared to many of these types of threads. I would have to still give the win to Hogsmeade due to the live entertainment and role of the person feeling connected to the setting.

TP2000

I haven't been to the Potter Land thing in Orlando. But I have been to the one in Hollywood.

My main memories of it a few years ago, with a VIP Tour Guide helping me and my extended family skip the queues, is of the following;

• An entrance area just past that Simpsons area that was impressive and nicely done. It's a witchy version of Edinburgh!
  • The shops and restaurants excelled at their purpose and were well themed. The employees were mediocre, but not horrible.
  • The big E Ticket ride was dark and impressive and vaguely fun even though I had no idea what was happening. Oof! That restraint is seriously binding. We were spun around on a stick and things happened. You could tell we were in a ride warehouse, but it was still fun. I kept looking down to see how the robot arm mechanism worked. Dark. Scary. Fun! Exit to your right.
  • Then there was this other C Ticket ride. It was sort of a bigger version of Gadget's Go Coaster. Just after the loading station we passed a giant robot chicken who flapped its wings and squawked at us. Maybe if I'd read the books I'd be entertained?
  • On this C Ticket Chicken Coaster ride you went up a big lift hill and saw... the San Fernando Valley, including Van Nuys. Then you turned a banked corner and got a perfect view of the trash dumpsters parked behind the Waterworld stadium. Yay?
  • I bought some old-timey candy in an old-timey candy shop. It was packaged very nicely. But it tasted like crap.
  • Live the adventure! I didn't read the book, so I have no idea if that view of the Waterworld dumpsters was part of it or not.
Then we left, and dawdled a bit in CityWalk to avoid traffic. It was interesting. But it was clearly obvious, from repeated locations, that we were merely on a soundstage on a hill above the San Fernando Valley. And if we turned our heads to the right or left we got a view of Van Nuys or the the trash dumpsters behind Waterworld. I was not immersed, but I was vaguely entertained for a few moments. Is that enough? Probably not, but the kids really wanted to do it, so I said okay.

Last edited:

Ryan120420

Wizarding World easy.

Has a better E-Ticket and the Flight of The Hippogriff is better than CarsLand two other supporting attractions combine.

Also Wizarding World has two daytime shows that perform within the land. Disney cut CarsLand one and only show years ago.

At night CarLand is easily one of the most impressive and beautiful theme park lands out there. Wizarding World looks great at night as well, but not as good as CarsLand. Wizarding World makes up for that with a rotation of 3 seasonal night time spectaculars that take place in front of Hogwarts Castle.

celluloid

I haven't been to the Potter Land thing in Orlando. But I have been to the one in Hollywood.

• Live the adventure! I didn't read the book, so I have no idea if that view of the Waterworld dumpsters was part of it or not.

I love how you do not know the names of the popular potter rides or pop culture but you are aware of the proper name for "Waterworld."

Californian Elitist

As if one can’t see other parts of Anaheim, Southern California, and backstage when at elevation at Disneyland and DCA.

Potter does a better job of immersing guests in the franchise, but the surroundings in Cars Land edges Potter out a bit. Both Forbidden Journey and Radiator Springs Racers are incredible attractions. The secondary attractions in each are both simply okay. Both look fantastic at night.

I’d say it’s a wash.

TP2000

I love how you do not know the names of the popular potter rides or pop culture but you are aware of the proper name for "Waterworld."

Never let the Waterworld show die. It's a national treasure. A beloved icon.

This all stems from never getting over my pain after they removed the Airport '77 Stunt Show. Waterworld helps a little.

PiratesMansion

The Florida version of Hogsmeade is easily better than Cars Land, in addition to being better than the USH Hogsmeade. IOA Hogsmeade merits include:
-The sightlines, while not perfect, are a lot better than they are at USH
-The ride vehicles are more accommodating for larger riders, even though the ride is older and does basically the same thing as the USH version
-Cheaper food/beverages in my experience vs. USH
-FL now has a proper Potter coaster too in addition to the Potterified Gadget Coaster
-In addition, you have the even better Diagon Alley connected by the Hogwarts Express, which is the best little minor attraction anyone's built the past decade.

If we are only comparing the Hollywood version, though, Cars Land might be the winner (I'd also give it the edge for the earlier opening and for being exclusive to the west coast vs. a straight copy of an existing land). If they actually improved anything when they brought Hogsmeade over, it's not at all obvious what they did.

BubbaisSleep

Cars land over USH’s Hogwarts but it loses to Orlando’s version.

I honestly enjoy both lands so much, this was a tough one & very close call.

Professortango1

I can spend hours shopping and and exploring Hogsmede, and I'm not even a Potterhead. Carsland is all surface, no substance. FOTH is meh, but at least it was built to be a minor attraction. Luigi's has had a ton of money dumped into it for a still lackluster experience.

Hogsmede is the winner, no question. Disney has yet to come up with something that rivals Hogsmede, much less Diagon Alley.

jpinkc

Ok didnt see the caveat of Hollywood Hogsmede, never been in that one but Orlando's destroys Carsland to me. I also agree about the food, Hogsmead all the way!

DanielBB8

I give it to Carsland, but the Orlando Hogsmeade paired with Diagon Alley is so amazing. Diagon Alley is better than Hogmeade. I like everything there much more from the rides, interactivity, and shows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom