Carousel of Progress Rooms

FoxTheNerd

Carousel of Progress basically works like this...

The building is made of two circles, one with the seats, and another with the stage. While the stage is stationary, the seats will move to transition from stage to stage. The transitions, on the other hand, are simple to explain. Each animatronic is simply looping. Y'know how with every transition, there's a song? Well, as your entering one scene, listening to the song, another group is exiting that scene and going to the next. So, when your time with that scene is over, they'll sing, and you go to the next set! :D

Disneyrailfan1996

Carousel of Progress basically works like this...

The building is made of two circles, one with the seats, and another with the stage. While the stage is stationary, the seats will move to transition from stage to stage. The transitions, on the other hand, are simple to explain. Each animatronic is simply looping. Y'know how with every transition, there's a song? Well, as your entering one scene, listening to the song, another group is exiting that scene and going to the next. So, when your time with that scene is over, they'll sing, and you go to the next set! :D
To expand upon this, I would like to explain each scene in detail (partly out of sequence in terms of start to finish). To keep this post short and avoid clutter, I will seperate each scene into its own post on this thread.
Starting outside the carousel:
there are montiors that play a video as sort of a pre-show that you can watch while waiting to riding the attraction. I am not 100% sure how it is played, whether it's a dvd, a file on a portable USB drive, something that continuously plays on a certain TV channel only viewable by tv's inside the park, or something else. This is in no way timed to the show played inside the building, so the show could not be running inside, and the video would still play. The video itselff is in 2 parts each divided into 3 segments
  • Part 1
    • logo with a rendition of there's a great big beautiful tomorrow (I'm guessing this was originally intended to play as guests approached the attraction and started to gather around as they waited for the next theater)
    • edited version of the promotional video Walt Disney made for GE ending with a brief word from rex allen about performing in the show and it changing.
    • logo with a musical jingle (I'm guessing this was meant to play as guests entered the theater since it soounds very upbeat and bright)
  • Part 2
    • logo with a rendition of the theme song (this time it is shorter because of the length of the video that follows)
    • Backstory and history of the show narrated by rex allen with a (edited) behind the scenes video that walt disney made about the show.
    • logo with a musical jingle (the same as the one heard in part 1)
Once part 2 finishes, the video will go back to part 1. This will play on a continuous loop throughout the day (and is even played during events where COP is not running and after COP has finished operating for the day). When given the ok to do so, the cast member at the main panel will close the doors to the load and unload theaters. there's no protocol as to which one has to close first to my knowledge, but I've typically seen the doors to the theater at the load stage close then when the CM exits that theater, they check the exit area and make sure that's clear before closing the doors to the theater at the unload stage. Of course, the theater eventually rotates. Once it stops, the doors to the theater at the load stage will open and the ramp (as I call it) will lower a few inches so there isn't much of a gap between the entryway and the concrete. seconds after this happens at load, the same will happen at unload. I'd like to go over the main panel along with the controls there and what they do, but I do not know what the panel looks like and what controls are there. You may also notice keypads at every doorway outside each theater. No idea what those are for. In the next post, I will describe in detail how some things work (mainly the effects) in the load theater. That's where things will start to get interesting. As they say: it's what's on the inside that counts. (Literally!)

jjansen47

To expand upon this, I would like to explain each scene in detail (partly out of sequence in terms of start to finish). To keep this post short and avoid clutter, I will seperate each scene into its own post on this thread.
Starting outside the carousel:
there are montiors that play a video as sort of a pre-show that you can watch while waiting to riding the attraction. I am not 100% sure how it is played, whether it's a dvd, a file on a portable USB drive, something that continuously plays on a certain TV channel only viewable by tv's inside the park, or something else. This is in no way timed to the show played inside the building, so the show could not be running inside, and the video would still play. The video itselff is in 2 parts each divided into 3 segments
  • Part 1
    • logo with a rendition of there's a great big beautiful tomorrow (I'm guessing this was originally intended to play as guests approached the attraction and started to gather around as they waited for the next theater)
    • edited version of the promotional video Walt Disney made for GE ending with a brief word from rex allen about performing in the show and it changing.
    • logo with a musical jingle (I'm guessing this was meant to play as guests entered the theater since it soounds very upbeat and bright)
  • Part 2
    • logo with a rendition of the theme song (this time it is shorter because of the length of the video that follows)
    • Backstory and history of the show narrated by rex allen with a (edited) behind the scenes video that walt disney made about the show.
    • logo with a musical jingle (the same as the one heard in part 1)
Once part 2 finishes, the video will go back to part 1. This will play on a continuous loop throughout the day (and is even played during events where COP is not running and after COP has finished operating for the day). When given the ok to do so, the cast member at the main panel will close the doors to the load and unload theaters. there's no protocol as to which one has to close first to my knowledge, but I've typically seen the doors to the theater at the load stage close then when the CM exits that theater, they check the exit area and make sure that's clear before closing the doors to the theater at the unload stage. Of course, the theater eventually rotates. Once it stops, the doors to the theater at the load stage will open and the ramp (as I call it) will lower a few inches so there isn't much of a gap between the entryway and the concrete. seconds after this happens at load, the same will happen at unload. I'd like to go over the main panel along with the controls there and what they do, but I do not know what the panel looks like and what controls are there. You may also notice keypads at every doorway outside each theater. No idea what those are for. In the next post, I will describe in detail how some things work (mainly the effects) in the load theater. That's where things will start to get interesting. As they say: it's what's on the inside that counts. (Literally!)
I feel like the stage has got to actually be 2 parts. A stationary Donut and then there is a turnable inside of that with the smaller scene with in a scene moments that expose other rooms and characters behind the scrims. What I haven't been able to figure out if these smaller scene moments are all on one turn table or smaller turntables that are shared between just a couple of scenes. Does anyone know? I am doing research to build a model and it isn't clear to me. when I was last on the ride I did notice during the transition these small scenes move together in sync and the same concentric path so it is clear that at least some of the scenes share a turntable. but I believe it has got to be smaller turntables shared between pairs of scenes rather than one shared by all of them... Thoughts?

dhslxop

I feel like the stage has got to actually be 2 parts. A stationary Donut and then there is a turnable inside of that with the smaller scene with in a scene moments that expose other rooms and characters behind the scrims. What I haven't been able to figure out if these smaller scene moments are all on one turn table or smaller turntables that are shared between just a couple of scenes. Does anyone know? I am doing research to build a model and it isn't clear to me. when I was last on the ride I did notice during the transition these small scenes move together in sync and the same concentric path so it is clear that at least some of the scenes share a turntable. but I believe it has got to be smaller turntables shared between pairs of scenes rather than one shared by all of them... Thoughts?
Here's a really rough mockup of the ride. L is load, U is Unload. 1-4 are the 4 show scenes. The inner circle stays stationary, the outer circle moves. There are 2 turntables in scenes 1-3. 4 doesn't have any turntables. The turntables are each divided in 2 and they rotate in each scene. The turntables aren't shared between the scenes. There are just 6 turntables.
Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 12.01.53 AM.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom