Carousel of Progress Closed 5/9/18

wdwfan22

Original Poster
Other sites are reporting that Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress is closed for the day (May 9, 2018) due to unforeseen maintenance. My Disney Experience App also shows the attraction as temporarily Closed.

Tom P.

TWDC doesn't spend money on maintenance unless it will increase marginal revenue.

Clearly, this is just a trial balloon. I know Disney. Next they will start closing the ride 2, 3, maybe even 4 times per week, forcing the cast members to stay at home -- the home they've made for themselves in their cars, where Disney is charging them for parking. Then comes the "Carousel of Progress Magical Dessert Party" experience, only available to the elite 1%. With an extra upcharge for sprinkles on your ice cream. I can even foresee a time when you can't even hear the audio of the show unless you rent a pair of special Mickey headphones.

Don't try to pixie dust your way out of this. Trust me, it's all coming. That's just how the folks at TWDC think now. Kim Jong Un has nothing on Bob Iger. It's literally like a genocidal dictatorship.

Biff215

TWDC doesn't spend money on maintenance unless it will increase marginal revenue.

Clearly, this is just a trial balloon. I know Disney. Next they will start closing the ride 2, 3, maybe even 4 times per week, forcing the cast members to stay at home -- the home they've made for themselves in their cars, where Disney is charging them for parking. Then comes the "Carousel of Progress Magical Dessert Party" experience, only available to the elite 1%. With an extra upcharge for sprinkles on your ice cream. I can even foresee a time when you can't even hear the audio of the show unless you rent a pair of special Mickey headphones.

Don't try to pixie dust your way out of this. Trust me, it's all coming. That's just how the folks at TWDC think now. Kim Jong Un has nothing on Bob Iger. It's literally like a genocidal dictatorship.
Please tell me this is sarcasm?

Bender123

50 year old mechanical spinning building breaks down...Must be cost cutting.

Or maybe...juuuust maaaaaybe....its because its a 50 year old attraction that is literally spinning an entire building in circles every five minutes for 15 hours a day, 365 days a year. Things break down, it happens. CoP isn't going anywhere, anytime soon, and with tech that old, Im amazed it still has the uptime it has.

That's not Pixie dust, just a knowledge of machines.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Time to comb John's hair - every scene :). COP is REMARKABLY resilient to the ravages of time. Worst maintenance seems to be cleaning up seats & carpets from too many 4 year old "Bio spills" :). Old tech can be GOOD.... doubt COP has ANY Internet gateways connected to it.
No one want's John delivering a political tirade in scene 3 :).

Goofyernmost

50 year old mechanical spinning building breaks down...Must be cost cutting.

Or maybe...juuuust maaaaaybe....its because its a 50 year old attraction that is literally spinning an entire building in circles every five minutes for 15 hours a day, 365 days a year. Things break down, it happens. CoP isn't going anywhere, anytime soon, and with tech that old, Im amazed it still has the uptime it has.

That's not Pixie dust, just a knowledge of machines.
I believe the mechanical theater drive was probably built fairly new when it came to WDW since the original stayed in Disneyland and is still there but not currently rotating. So less then 50 years for the theater itself, but a lot of the scenery and side stages have been around since 1964.

That said, it almost closed down at the end of the end of 1999 and was seasonal for a lot of that time. Then they had to gut out Alien Encounter to put in Stitch and needed someplace for people to actually see so they opened it back up and it has been operating regularly since then. But, it was apparent that the management of the time wanted to bulldoze it. It could happen again. That is why I advocate to stop thinking that the last scene should be redone. That would not only be unnecessary, but, it would also give them a good reason to find another use for the building. Even if it isn't the favorite of many, I don't think any of us want to see it gone.

Tom P.

My post above was intended to be a joke, kind of a parody of some of the more over-the-top "the sky is falling" type posts that seem to have become more and more common of late. The fact that people took it seriously suggests to me that either I am not nearly as funny as I think I am, this place has become *way* too cynical, or both. I'm guessing both.

Biff215

My post above was intended to be a joke, kind of a parody of some of the more over-the-top "the sky is falling" type posts that seem to have become more and more common of late. The fact that people took it seriously suggests to me that either I am not nearly as funny as I think I am, this place has become *way* too cynical, or both. I'm guessing both.
I honestly thought it had to be sarcastic based off of what I thought I had seen you post previously, but unfortunately it's tough to tell anymore like you said. It's a shame, but it's how things have become with Disney. Lots of the two extremes, not enough reasonable discussion somewhere in the middle. I didn't mean any offense.

HMF

If the last year has taught me anything it is "Nothing" is too sacred to mess with at Disney.

BoarderPhreak

When I was there last week, CoP was having serious problems. "Temporarily Closed" several times during the week and when we were in it - it made grinding noises and came to a stop between stages before finishing the rotation about 10-15s later (with the spiel already in progress). My guess is the rotational mechanism is now kaput.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom