Carousel of Progress and My Family

wdwfan887

Original Poster
Everyone I'm a new member but I have been a WDW fan for a long time. My pin collection takes up two lanyards now! I have a story/question I want some opinion on. Recently a very close member of my family died. He was a big WDW fan as well and we actually played some disney songs at the funeral. Anyway I just returned from MK where I rode CoP (Carousel of Progress-duh) which has always been my favorite ride. Now though I really got emotional because i really saw my own family reflected in teh CoP family. As the years and generations pass in CoP, so do they in real life. I really identify with them and doesn't everyone have an uncle orville lol! Anyway this time I really just saw a lot of my family in CoP and it is even more special now to me than ever. I was just wondering if any of you feel the same. Maybe it's jsut the disney magic!

BruceWayne

Everyone I'm a new member but I have been a WDW fan for a long time. My pin collection takes up two lanyards now! I have a story/question I want some opinion on. Recently a very close member of my family died. He was a big WDW fan as well and we actually played some disney songs at the funeral. Anyway I just returned from MK where I rode CoP (Carousel of Progress-duh) which has always been my favorite ride. Now though I really got emotional because i really saw my own family reflected in teh CoP family. As the years and generations pass in CoP, so do they in real life. I really identify with them and doesn't everyone have a WIlbur lol! Anyway this time I really just saw a lot of my family in CoP and it is even more special now to me than ever. I was just wondering if any of you feel the same. Maybe it's jsut the disney magic!

no.

i honestly think youre a little off the deep end there buddy.

theyre just animatronics.

but what i would give for a date with the daughter! lol!

LuLaSue

Everyone I'm a new member but I have been a WDW fan for a long time. My pin collection takes up two lanyards now! I have a story/question I want some opinion on. Recently a very close member of my family died. He was a big WDW fan as well and we actually played some disney songs at the funeral. Anyway I just returned from MK where I rode CoP (Carousel of Progress-duh) which has always been my favorite ride. Now though I really got emotional because i really saw my own family reflected in teh CoP family. As the years and generations pass in CoP, so do they in real life. I really identify with them and doesn't everyone have a WIlbur lol! Anyway this time I really just saw a lot of my family in CoP and it is even more special now to me than ever. I was just wondering if any of you feel the same. Maybe it's jsut the disney magic!

It's natural to identify with something you love and something your loved one also loved. The COP is all about family and how we grow. Don't listen to Mr. Bruce, I think it is sweet.;)

Jungle Skipper

I think thats what Walt wanted to do with the CoP...I think we were suppoosed to relate to the attraction...relate to the bits of Americana that existed in this family that were ties to our own families.

Cheers,
josh

CaribbeanGreen

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Welcome to the boards wdwfan887.

You will find that there is a diverse membership here and alot of people will empathize with your feelings.

Just don't worry about those who do not. :wave:

kreiderr

I don't think you're off the "deep-end" with your feelings. When I was kid my grandfather used to sit around telling stories about how the world had changed since he was "my age." It's the classic story of how much harder everything was in the past. I'm sure Disney created the ride so that we could all relate to it in some way. I think people miss the point with this attraction. If you think about it, it really is amazing how fast technology is changing and changing our lives.

wdwfan887

Original Poster
Hi everyone thanks for the thoughts/support. Don't worry about that guy brucewayne I really think he must just be jealous because he doesn't feel the disney magic like we do! Imagionationeer, you have 1500 lanyards of pins? WOW that's so awesome! I wear mine around town and people are always tellling me how cool I am. For some reason they always laugh too but I guess they're just happy. Pins are a great way to show your WDW spirit!

About CoP, I was in WDW all of last week and took the journey (I don't like to call it a ride) 47 times. I just couldn't stop. After the passing of my family member I just felt a real connection to the CoP family. I wish there was a way I could join them on stage. I thought about jumping up there just to hug the father a couple times but decided not too. I just want to touch them and to be with them. It's hard. Tomorrow I'm going to my local Macy's where I've arranged to buy some of their old mannequins--pretty soon I will have my own CoP family that I'll never have to leave!

BruceWayne

Hi everyone thanks for the thoughts/support. Don't worry about that guy brucewayne I really think he must just be jealous because he doesn't feel the disney magic like we do! Imagionationeer, you have 1500 lanyards of pins? WOW that's so awesome! I wear mine around town and people are always tellling me how cool I am. For some reason they always laugh too but I guess they're just happy. Pins are a great way to show your WDW spirit!

About CoP, I was in WDW all of last week and took the journey (I don't like to call it a ride) 47 times. I just couldn't stop. After the passing of my family member I just felt a real connection to the CoP family. I wish there was a way I could join them on stage. I thought about jumping up there just to hug the father a couple times but decided not too. I just want to touch them and to be with them. It's hard. Tomorrow I'm going to my local Macy's where I've arranged to buy some of their old mannequins--pretty soon I will have my own CoP family that I'll never have to leave!

i just wanted to apologize wdwfan. im sorry if i was rude.

i love cop too! i was just givign you a hard time. i love the show and could watch it at least once a trip. its a classic and im sorry your family member is dead. maybe theyd let you go behind the scenes and take a picture with them?

jiminy.cricket

Wow... You really like that ride. If you set up your own Carousel, be sure to post pictures!

jmvd20

After an emotional incident you can definitely relate to things around you. I think CoP is a special attraction to begin with and is one my must see list everytime we go. I even love the song. You found a special place that you relate an experience to, to me that is part of the magic of Disney and why I choose to go there on vacation year after year.

jcat2312

This ride is also very special for us. It is always the first and last ride of our trip. Our daughter was 5 when she rode it for the first time, and loved it from the start. To this day, it is one of her favorite songs to sing and constantly wants to watch the ride video online.

It is definitely a very special ride!

LuLaSue

i just wanted to apologize wdwfan. im sorry if i was rude.

i love cop too! i was just givign you a hard time. i love the show and could watch it at least once a trip. its a classic and im sorry your family member is dead. maybe theyd let you go behind the scenes and take a picture with them?

KUDOS to you BrueWayne.:D

Kadee

Hi WDWfan!
I understand how you feel. My DD and I LOVE CoP. We ride it several times on each trip. I just LOVE how he says "It just doesn't get any better than this!" in each scene. It reminds me of my grandfather SO much. He's been gone almost 13 years now. He would talk about the past a lot and how things had changed. It is a touching, sentimental ride that I never miss. Sometimes I get a little teary-eyed thinking about my grandfather while I'm on it. So you are certainly not the only one who thinks of CoP this way.:wave:

beachclubbasics

We also love CoP and make it the first ride that we go on at MK. it's hard going to WDW as a single mom with 4 kids (my firefighter hubby died in the line of duty in 2002) and seeing all of the happy mom/dad/kid families can be rough, especially for my 12 year old(we never were able to go as a full family with DH for money or time reasons, the year he died was going to be the first year we were going to go to WDW all together) and for some reason, CoP always makes us feel like he's there with us in spirit. I don't know why, but it always sets the tone or a happier trip...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom