Carousel of Progess Update/Question...

niceguy621

Original Poster
Hey, As most of you know, COP will b eup and running this Thanksgiving Weekend, and is also slated to be opened during the Christmas holiday. I am leaving for Disney on Dec. 12 for a week-think it'll be up and running then? I really hope it is!!! :-/

markc

unfortunatly you'll probably miss the opening of the carousel of progress. The Carousel of Progress most likely won't be open until the Saturday before Christmas, which is what they usually do as the weeks prior to christmas are empty in terms of attendance.

CAPTAIN HOOK

C.O.P.

Why does it only open seasonally ?
Is there a staffing problem (not enough CM's to manage all the rides)
Is it just not popular enough to warrant all year opening ?
I'm mystified and would like to know why.
Any ideas ?

mickeyfanatics

Operations states it is too expensive to staff during the non-peak times so they close it then. It is open during peak times to help alleviate crowds from the rest of Tomorrowland. I think their whole reasoning is horsesh*t.

Nansafan

I think the reason CoP is not open year around is because the powers that be are goofy. If it were open year around, there would be people visiting it year around. First time visitors don't even know there is anything in that building. If it were open year around, a line would develop and people would go to see CoP which would then justify the expense. Long live CoP. There's a great bit beutiful tomorrow.............

WDWspider

Plus, don't we pay an all-round admission price to cover operation of all rides, whether they are being fully utilized or not. Just limit operating hours, don't close it up.

The only thing I can see justified on limited hours are parks up north with Water Parks not open while the main park is open, or seasonal shows and attractions.

wdwfan4eva

Having gotten back from WDW on Saturday, I must say that it's disappointing riding the TTA and all you get is dead air when you arrive at the CoP. If I remember correctly, they did have a line or two regarding it.

I don't see why they don't open it at scheduled times of the day as with any other stage-type show. Even if it's only two or three times a day, visitors would know when they can see it and will show up at the scheduled time. It would save money and use of cast members. Anyone agree??

jmarc63

The corporate line is that the mecanics of the turntable in the attraction are in bad shape and use other that peak times will weare out the useful life and if it breaks down, they say it will be to expensive to repair. I find that to be bull!!!!

I undertsand that in the old CoP/America sings building in DL the turntable and all the mecanicals were rebuilt for innoventions .

Sounds fishy to me. I had heard that Disney wants to use the current CoP and Skyway areas for something new like the flying saucers that has been rumored about.

Monorail Lime

CoP is an expensive piece of equipment. It takes a lot of electricity and maintenance to make a building revolve. The motors and the mechanics of the beast have to be constantly lubricated and tuned to keep it running smoothly and silently if they intend on opening CoP every day. It's now over 25 years old, so the maintenance issues will only get worse.

They can open it seasonally and spend their budget a few times a year, as they are doing now. Or they could run it all the time and cut corners to spread out maintenance. Now here's the tricky part... the electric motors that turn the building are UNDER the building. They are accessible to maintenance crews but the cannot be easily replaced.

The attraction was planned for the '64-65 World's Fair. Long term maintenance was not considered a high priority. Then it moved to Disneyland... for seven years. Still not a whole long time, in the scheme of things. When CoP was moved to WDW, do you think they really considered the possibility that it would still be running there three decades later?

When one of the motors dies, it will require some major effort to replace it. The building will have to be partially torn down and a section of Tomorrowland will have to be closed off. Big bucks which WDW couldn't possibly justify spending on the CoP.

If CoP is left open all the time with a limited maintenance program the lifespan of these motors will be greatly decreased. And when one of them dies... the show's over, folks. I think what they are doing now is the best way to preserve Walt's legacy.

MKCustodial

It's a pity, really. And you know what, Grizz's plan is great. They should've advertised CoP big time during 100 YoM as a Walt Disney Original Attraction. It'd take tons of people to it, and maybe they'd put together enough money exclusively to get a big rehab done on it.

Or maybe they could put a CM outside CoP with a bucket and a bell: "Save CoP! Your donations are necessary!" :D

niceguy621

Original Poster
Ok so I hear that COP is going to be open the week of 12/8-12/15......of course that's what I hear....can anyone confirm? I'm just hoping it's true, as I will be there at that time!!!! Only 15 more days to go!!!! :)

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by Monorail Lime
CoP is an expensive piece of equipment. It takes a lot of electricity and maintenance to make a building revolve. The motors and the mechanics of the beast have to be constantly lubricated and tuned to keep it running smoothly and silently if they intend on opening CoP every day. It's now over 25 years old, so the maintenance issues will only get worse.

They can open it seasonally and spend their budget a few times a year, as they are doing now. Or they could run it all the time and cut corners to spread out maintenance. Now here's the tricky part... the electric motors that turn the building are UNDER the building. They are accessible to maintenance crews but the cannot be easily replaced.

The attraction was planned for the '64-65 World's Fair. Long term maintenance was not considered a high priority. Then it moved to Disneyland... for seven years. Still not a whole long time, in the scheme of things. When CoP was moved to WDW, do you think they really considered the possibility that it would still be running there three decades later?

When one of the motors dies, it will require some major effort to replace it. The building will have to be partially torn down and a section of Tomorrowland will have to be closed off. Big bucks which WDW couldn't possibly justify spending on the CoP.

If CoP is left open all the time with a limited maintenance program the lifespan of these motors will be greatly decreased. And when one of them dies... the show's over, folks. I think what they are doing now is the best way to preserve Walt's legacy.

While I hear what you're saying, the last time I visited CoP, the interior really needed some work - nothing major, but things that just hadn't been done (ripped curtains, blown lightbulbs, etc)

I just don't think that letting the guest areas become so neglected is anything that Walt would want to be considered his "legacy".

As far as "big bucks which WDW couldn't possiblt justify spending on the CoP" - I don't even want to go there...

It definitely should have been open all through the 100 years of magic celebration and billed and hyped as a major Walt achievement and must show see. A little intelligence and smart marketing and the attraction would have had loads of visitors. What a pity! :cry:

General Grizz

Each time it is seasonal, they go in and refurbish the area. There area always new things each season - which I find very cool!

Christmas - all new carpeting and wallpaper, new bow for Rover
On Presidents day - Kitchen counter refurbished
August - 50s scene John has been given darker and a bit messier hair

So if anything was in bad shape, it'll probably be fine....Today!

If anyone goes, tell us how the crowds and show are!!

Sean23

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
Each time it is seasonal, they go in and refurbish the area. There area always new things each season - which I find very cool!

Christmas - all new carpeting and wallpaper, new bow for Rover
On Presidents day - Kitchen counter refurbished
August - 50s scene John has been given darker and a bit messier hair

So if anything was in bad shape, it'll probably be fine....Today!

If anyone goes, tell us how the crowds and show are!!

Valentines Day, 4th of July, Halloween and Christmas are the four scenes.

I went to MK yesterday and I went to COP around 9 pm and the theater was about half full. COP will be open Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 10-10 if I remember correctly. I have the map insert in my car I can check, timekeeper is closed.

GrinningGhost

I went yesterday during the day and the theatre was jam packed! Unfortunately, the show didn't start properly and the entire Carousel was evacuated. I overhead a someone say that they had come to the Magic Kingdom JUST to see Carousel. It re-opened later, and the theatre, again was filled almost completely to capacity.:sohappy:

General Grizz

Sean23 - - I wasn't talking about the seasons IN the show - I mean when the SHOW REOPENED on THOSE times. I.E. the kitchen counter was refurbished in the Christmas scene FOR President's Day weekend. See what I mean? :D

It's good to hear it's going through capacity. However, why did it evacuate? It just wouldn't start? Or was Patricia still in the shower??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom