Car Rental

emilymad

I was considering renting a car during my stay in WDW. Is it worth it to do this? All the other times I have been to Disney we have used the bus system and didn't have any problems with it. Pros and Cons?
Thanks for your help.
:D

pooh071567

I would say if you don't plan on leaving WDW property during your stay, I'd save the money on the rental car. For the most part WDW transportation is pretty good. If, however, you want to visit Universal or Sea World or just drive around Orlando, you might want to think about the car.

Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

crazygirley

Well, there are many pro's. Depending on the legnth of your stay, it may be a good idea to have a car. You can eat at resturaunts, shop at stores, and enjoy other activities outside of Disney World. There are ton's of stores, malls, outlets, etc, as well as infinate resturaunt possibilities. A car is also a good thing to have if you plan on visiting the beaches.

Upvote 0

goofyman

We always get a car. even if we stay within WDW.You can get one cheap these days. You are paying to get to and from airport usally and to me no matter how good the WDW transportantion is , "there is no substitute for having your own freedom to come and go on your own schedule"

Upvote 0

Merlin

Account Suspended
I highly recommend getting a car. Even if you don't plan to leave the property, there are several advantages to having a car:

- You're not bound to the schedules of the WDW buses, monorails, and ferries.

- If your hotel room is far from the front desk, you don't have to wear yourself out dragging your luggage a long distance. Just park near your room.

- You can explore areas of the property that the WDW transportation doesn't go.

- You can store things in the car (such as change of clothes, souvenirs, etc) instead of having to go back to your hotel.

These advantages multiply if you DO plan to leave property. And there are numerous things worth seeing outside of WDW:

- Kennedy Space Center, Busch Gardens, Sea World, Universal (to name a few)

- There is a great murder mystery dinner theater that we always traditionally do every time we visit. It is called Sleuths and it is the best dinner show I've ever been to. Better than anything on property and a lot of audience interaction. It is near Wet N Wild.

- There are countless fantastic restaurants off property (Bahama Breeze is a personal favorite)

- Although I don't usually do this, you also have the option of staying at a hotel off property if you rent a car.

Upvote 0

emilymad

Original Poster
Thank you for all the advice. We are taking a cruise the week before (not Disney) that is from Port Canaveral. I have the problem of how do I get from the port to Disney. I believe the port is about a 45 minute drive from the airport. Renting a car seems a good option for us. Do people who rent cars drive them to the parks each day? How does this compare with bus system? Do you have a far walk back to your car, etc?

Upvote 0

skipperg

We are at WDW right now and have a care. Did some pricing before hand and since we were going to Universal for a Day add that cost to a Towncar or Bus and it was only about $50 more to have the car for our 10 day stay. We come and go very freely. My only advise to anyone is if you are staying at a Disney resort take the Bus to the MK. Much easier than car, tram, boat or monorail. Going to any of the other parks the car works out great.

For some real fun. Park at Epcot and ride the Monorail to MK. The ride back to Epcot is awesome!!!!! Esepecially at night. The trip around Future World at night seeing Epcot all lit up is a Kodak Moment!!!

Joe Gudac

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

A car is essential if :-
1) You're staying off property
2) You're staying on property and wish to visit other parks, attractions, shopping malls and restaurants

A car is useful if :-
1) You're staying on property and wish to park hop (usually quicker and easier than WDW transportation)

Upvote 0

kaybee

We never go to WDW without renting a car even though we stay
on site. It is so convienent to have your own vehicle. You don't
have to wait in any bus lines...if you want to leave the parks you
can whenever you want. They do not charge you to park if you
are staying on disney property. I have never had a problem finding a place to park. The shuttles take you right to your car
with little hassle. I highly recommend renting a car.

Upvote 0

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
the only drawback to renting a car, is that you'll have to put up with Orlando drivers.... not the best in the world

Upvote 0

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by Bagheera
Takes one to know one, Rob? :zipit: :zipit: :)

I've been licensed in FL for just under a year... I don't know if I count as a FL driver JUST yet.. lol. I still use my turn signals..

Upvote 0

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by skipperg
We are at WDW right now and have a care. Did some pricing before hand and since we were going to Universal for a Day add that cost to a Towncar or Bus and it was only about $50 more to have the car for our 10 day stay. We come and go very freely. My only advise to anyone is if you are staying at a Disney resort take the Bus to the MK. Much easier than car, tram, boat or monorail. Going to any of the other parks the car works out great.

For some real fun. Park at Epcot and ride the Monorail to MK. The ride back to Epcot is awesome!!!!! Esepecially at night. The trip around Future World at night seeing Epcot all lit up is a Kodak Moment!!!

Joe Gudac

We actually still take the car when we go to MK too. We park at Contemporary and walk over from there.

For Epcot, we always park at the Beach Club and use the World Showcase entrance. Not as many people know about it so the lines to get in are shorter over there.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom