Can't decide between POR and POFQ

MinnieSummer

Personally, I would stay at Coronado as it is my families favorite but...

POR: I dislike the Bayou section intensely. I know that the theming is supposed to look like a bayou but I don't like walking around after dark as it is way to overgrown and there are very few lights. It's also very confusing trying to find your building. There are also no elevators. The good thing about that section is they have trundle beds if you need extra sleeping area. The Magnolia Bend section is much nicer. The resort has a fun pool/playground and the table service restaurant is very good.

POFQ: This resort is the smallest of all the moderates which makes for shorter walks. The theming is "charming". The pool is OK. There is no table service restaurant and the food court seems small to me.

PO in general: Boat rides to Downtown Disney are great, Horse and buggy rides are fun, you can use the pool at either FQ or R. You share busses with both resorts and that can make for a long trip at the end of a tiring day.

Upvote 0

prspeppers

I just got back from POFQ a few weeks ago....I have stayed at all of the disney hotels, save for AKL. I can honestly tell you I enjoyed my stay at the French Quarter more than I enjoyed staying at the Grand Floridian or any of the high end resorts. POFQ is affordable, beautiful, clean, and fun to stay at. Try and Snag a river view...its amazing.

Upvote 0

Cindyrella

I think the grounds at POR are beautiful. My kids love the food court there because of the rocking chairs and coloring table. I love POFQ because it is charming and smaller. I personally didn't care for CB and have yet to stay at CSR.

Upvote 0

TTFN-Tiggger

I think it is a personal choice. I made that same decsion for my upcoming trip. Never stayed at either yet. I am travelling with my sister who has back trouble. I chose POFQ because it is smaller so we should have less walking there(since we will do enough at the parks). It also looks very neat with the theming. Only 43 more days until my stay there!!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Lucky

POFQ is great. The pool is very nice, there never seem to be lines at check in, the buses to MK often don't make any other stops so are quicker, the food court is small but not crowded and much less hectic than at POR. But if you can't decide, I guess you'll have to make another trip soon afterward so you can try them both.

Upvote 0

TikiBeckie

Original Poster
We have stayed at CSR the last three times, and since we are bringing our older parents, I am thinking less walking and smaller grounds would be nice, I think I am lenaing towards POFQ...

Upvote 0

Epcot82Guy

I personally prefer Riverside, but it does come down to personal preference. POFQ feels more like a hotel to me. POR is much more spread out and secluded. Now, having said that, it can get confusing, especially in Alligator Bayou. You really won't go wrong with either, though. If you tend to be averse to walking after the parks, hit POFQ. If you like to be more "surrounded", POR is likely the way to go. Both resorts are connected by a walkway and the river, and the functional aspects of the room are pretty much identical.

Upvote 0

TikiBeckie

Original Poster
I personally prefer Riverside, but it does come down to personal preference. POFQ feels more like a hotel to me. POR is much more spread out and secluded. Now, having said that, it can get confusing, especially in Alligator Bayou. You really won't go wrong with either, though. If you tend to be averse to walking after the parks, hit POFQ. If you like to be more "surrounded", POR is likely the way to go. Both resorts are connected by a walkway and the river, and the functional aspects of the room are pretty much identical.

Thank you very much for this!

Upvote 0

monorailguy01

I stayed at both RS and FQ and I love both of them although I have to admit I like the FQ more, FQ is much smaller so everything is in walking disntance, I think it is theamed better, and The most important thing is the Bus system stop there before FQ. As far as RS it is just way to big I think there is 5 or 6 stops just in that resort. And like I said it is nice but way to big...

So I would say take the FQ it is very small yet a very nice place, im sure you would love it......

Upvote 0

blackerbys17

Well, I stayed at POR during Xmas 2004. While it was beautiful and very well themed, everything seemed so far apart. One night we had to walk to the food court in the pouring rain and it is at times like that that you realize how big the resort is, too big for me. Next time I stay at a moderate, it will be the POFQ. Themeing looks great and I prefer a smaller resort anyways. That said, my favorite resort so far has been the WL. I'll be heading back this Xmas!:sohappy:

Upvote 0
I can never resist this subject. In my four trips I've only ever stayed at POFQ. I've visited the other resorts, but I have to say for the money/quality ratio, this is the place to be. On our last trip we both walked and took the boat to POR to dine, and while it seemed nice, the French Quarter just seems like home to me.

Every time we go I start talking all big about staying at the GF or the Poly, but I just can't imagine not being at the POFQ.

As always, there has been excellent, practical advice from the posters. Whatever you do, have fun!!!!

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

I must say I'm really surprised by the overwhelming postives for POFQ.
I would have guessed that Riverside fans would have chimed in by now.

It's just interesting to me for the recommendations to be so one-sided.

Are there any POR fans other than Epcot82Guy?

Upvote 0

daguru

I've stayed at both, but prefer POFQ. I really liked the pool at POR, but the ambiance of POFQ gives it an edge. Wonderfully themed, quiet, and it's small size does make it easier to get around.

My wife and I honeymooned at POFQ (back when it was just PO) and convinced her brother to honeymoon there this past Dec.....

Upvote 0

hankhill

POR Fanws Here

I must say I'm really surprised by the overwhelming postives for POFQ.
I would have guessed that Riverside fans would have chimed in by now.

It's just interesting to me for the recommendations to be so one-sided.

Are there any POR fans other than Epcot82Guy?

Ok. POR is POFQ on steroids. I have stayed in both mutiple times and I have to say that POR has the better sit down restaurant in Boatwrights. It has the best nightlife with Bob at the Piano (if you have nore experienced it you and the kids will love it!) For those who have HOW DOES MY HAIR LOOK?
It has some wonderful themeing on both sides of the Sassagoula. Large with enough spacing for the four bus stops that make life very simple and 5 (or six) pools including Ol Man island which is neat. I cannot say enough about this resport. Now if I was looking for something smaller and more romantic with just myself and the wife I would consider POFQ.

I dont think there is a one size fits all resort. That is why they have as many as they do I guess.

Upvote 0

fmingo36

My second favorite place to vacation (before Katrina) was New Orleans so I absolutely loved staying at POFQ-it was getting my 2 favorite places at once. It has such a authentic feel when you walk around.

When I stayed at POFQ my daughter was an infant (her first resort stay at WDW). They gave us a room that was near everything, so I wasn't lugging stuff all over the place. I really appreciated it.

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

I like Riverside, Magnolia Bend section, for the scenery and the quiet beauty. If however, you prefer a more compact resort, or a resort that feels more like city streets, then French Quarter is the place. Tks.
:king:

Upvote 0

thisisnotanexit

i prefer riverside. relaxation is paramount there. the scenery is beautiful, and i personally prefer the southern theming. the food court is great as well. also, if you prefer recreation above relaxation, there many things to do at riverside (fishing, pools, boats, bikes, etc.). however, either choice you make will be a good one :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom