Can't believe it's over already 9/28 - 10/3

Went down to O-Town to visit my CM sister last weekend. Tried some new things, tried some old things. Good trip all in all....here are the highlights:

WED 9/28 -- Was supposed to get to town about 10:30p. Due to storms in Dallas, the plane left 2 1/2 hours late. After getting the bags, getting the car and getting myself to All Star Sports it was 2:30a and time for bed.

THU 9/29 -- Morning came way too early. Poor sissy had to work and was up at 6:15. We went to breakfast at Whispering Canyon Cafe in WL. I love the breakfast skillet. They changed thier potates though and nixed the coffee cake. Otherwise, a quite entertaining experience. We achieved a new personal record of 36 bottles of ketchup on the table at once.

After breakfast, I played golf at Eagle Pines. What a fun course! It's one of those where you have to use every shot in your bag.

Then it was nap time until dinner at Cape May Cafe for the long anticipated clam bake. I must say that I was kind of disappointed. The salads were good, the clam chowder was excellent, and fried cod, baked salmon and prime rib all quite tasty. I just don't get the whole steamed clam bit. Too much work for little reward.

After dinner, sissy and I went back to Epcot for Illuminations and EHM. I totally forgot about the inferno barge. That's how good the rest of the show is. Watched the show by Norway, which is a very good vantage since the Italy bridge was closed for a party. May have to see it there more often.

After some rides, we left Epcot and went to PI. I like how you can now get on the Island without paying admission. You only need pay when you go into a club. So, we went down to the beach club and got a bucket from one of the outside bars. The bucket is the best deal on PI. $9.00 for the first, $7.00 for refills. We hung out for the "new years" celebration and listened to thier stage band (Caliente) for a while. By now, it was 1:00 and time for sleep

More to Come...

wilary

Original Poster
FRI 9/30 -- Poor sissy had to work again and was up early....again. I tried to go back to sleep, but couldn't so I got up and went to AK, since it was the closest to AS-Sports. It did not seem too crowded. It was able to do Dinosaur three times, then Spinny Roller Coaster, then the movie and then Tarzan Rocks probably for the last time. I noticed that the bass player and one of the singers also were in the PI Caliente band. You know you've been too much when you start recognizing the performers.

Since I was looking to kill some time, I actually went on the jungle treks and trails. Nothing I haven't seen at the Ft Worth Zoo. I can't wait for E:E to open. AK needs something else to do.

By noon, it was hot, I had seen everything I wanted and I was tired. Leaving the parking lot, I took a wrong turn and ended up in front of AK Lodge. So, I stopped and looked around for a while. It was very, very cool. I hope to stay some day.

After a mid afternoon nap, it was time to go to the HOOP DEE DOO REVUE, something we had never done before. It's always a challenge to try and figure out how to get places on Disney transportation. From AS-Sports, we took the first bus out which was to MGM. From there, we chose to take the first bus to the MK resorts which ended up being to Wilderness Lodge. Then it was the boat across Bay Lake to the campground. Which let us off right at Pioneer Hall.

Anyway, the show was quite entertaining. Lots corny jokes and stuff, but it fit right in with the theming of the whole time. Food was excellent. I ate so much chicken and ribs. Not only is it all you can eat....but it is it all you can drink too and not just soft drinks, beer and sangria are included too!!! Although we were on the cast member discount, I think it's worth the full price.

More to Come....

wilary

Original Poster
SAT 10/1 -- Started the day at MK. It was not bad until about 11:00 when it got way crowded. It poured as we just started Big Thunder. That was painful. Imagine traveling 30 MPH though a car wash in a convertible. We ended up doing everything we needed to, but the crowds were nuts. You could not move through the bottle neck between Peter Pan and IASW.

We then went to All Star Cafe as WWoS to try and see our beloved Mustangs of SMU on tv. Alas, they did not have the game. The food was good. A cool place to watch the games. They have about 12 big screens surrounding the main dining room.

After lunch, it was back to Epcot to go see some of the Food and Wine stuff. The Sam Adams Beer seminar was infomative and free, a rarity at Food and Wine. Heard some of Kansas, the Eat to the Beat band that night. Pretty good, they played thier hits. It was very very crowded. Made it thru a long line to get some Cheese Soup and beer at Canada. Just as we started eating, it started to dizzle. We hustled to finish the soup and beer just as the deluge arrived. We hauled buns to Soarin. Running through the rain, with a stomach full of beer and cheese soup, then standing in an air conditioned line is not a pleasant experience. However, Soarin is a pleasant experience. By the time we got thru the line, the rain had stopped. We walked out to the strains of Illuminations.

SUN 10/2 -- Morning was spent at MGM. Got there for rope drop. Went straight to TOT for FPs, then on to RNRC for as rides as we could before waiting in a significant line. Only 3 this time (my record is 9). Then TOT, Star Tours, Muppets and LMAX, which I had never seen before....AWESOME!

ASIDE: Remember when I said that you know when you've been too much when you start to know the performers? The lead director was that Don guy, whose been around for at least 12 years. He was the same guy who picked my mother and me for the sound show in 93, the guy who picked me to be Al Borland in Superstar television in 95 and the guy who I've seen many times in Millionaire.

Hot and tired, we went back to the resort for some relaxation before having to go to our cousin's house for dinner. After dinner, we went to Jellyrolls at the Boardwalk. We've been to the dueling piano show many times. It never disappoints. The drinks are reasonable and the show is very good. You especially know it's going to be a good show when Jason and Christian are playing. They know it all.

MON 10/3 -- Poor sissy had to go to work again. I spent the morning sleeping in and getting out of the room. AS - Sports was quite enjoyable. The decor is festive. They even have SMU Mustangs signs in the college football and basketball sections. The rooms aren't huge, but how ofter are you in the room?

I met sissy for lunch at POFQ for muffalettas and beignets. Oh baby, those beignets were good. After saying goodbyes, I had 4 hours to spend before having to go to the airport. I chose Epcot since I wanted to try out the Beers of the World Seminar. It's a must see if you like free beer. It's set up four people to share four bottles of different kinds, except I was at a table of four with only one other guy who was drinking. Party time.

As I was walking back to the car, it poured. In typical FL fashion, it stopped after 5 minutes...just enough to soak everything. Luckily, I had parked at the Beach Club. By the way, your resort parking pass gets you into any park or resort parking area, no questions asked. I got a towel at the pool and dried off while walking to the car. Of course, I had to dig through my packed suitcase for some dry clothes. Stupid rain...

Anyway -- It was a good trip. Good to get away from stinktown for a while. Can't wait for Xmas. Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed it.

999Ghosts

wilary if your in Dallas and a big Disney Fan:
Very Special Disney Guest Comes to Dallas NFFC

First if any WDWMAGIC Members are in the Dallas/Fort Worth then please read this!!! Dallas/Fort Worth TX does have A CHAPTER OF THE NFFC. If you do not know what the NFFC is, it is THE OFFICIAL CLUB FOR DISNEYANA ENTHUSIASTS. This month we have a great Disney Guest, George-The-Disney-Tattoo-Guy. If you have never seen him in Parks, TV, Magazines etc, he has over 1,800 Disney Tattoos and is one of the coolest, nicest guy you will meet. This is your chance to sit down and meet him! He is also a Professional Magician and will be performing his Magic Act. Afterwards George will talk about Disney and his tattoos. Contact me if you want to come see what THE DALLAS/FORT WORTH NFFC is all about...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom