Call for special Dietary Requests?

BioCub

Original Poster
I notice on the Disney web site that you can call many restaurants for special dietary requests. I am very interested in this, as I will be traveling with diabetics. But, I am not sure what exactly this feature is. Is a diabetic friendly meal something they can accommodate? Or is it even something i really need to call about?

BioCub

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Are they recently diagnosed diabetics or have they been dealing with it for awhile?

Their doctor should be able to tell you/them if they are Type 1 or Type 2 and if they are prone to hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia. All of this matters for proper diet.

I'm sure that Disney will do all that they can to ensure the health of your traveling companions.

BioCub

Original Poster
They have been Diabetic for a while, but I am charged with making reservations for all the guests in our party. I didn't know if I needed to call ahead to these resturants for their dietary needs.

tigsmom

They have been Diabetic for a while, but I am charged with making reservations for all the guests in our party. I didn't know if I needed to call ahead to these resturants for their dietary needs.

I'm a Type 2 and have never had a problem finding something to eat on my plan. There really is no need to call ahead, especially if they are not newly diagnosed. They will know what they can and cannot eat and should be able to make good choices. I know that I can go a little overboard with my carb counts and still be ok because the added exercises balances them out.

Just remind them to carry a small snack with them in case they get hungry/hypoglycemic and need a quick pick me up. I always have pb crackers and cereal bars. Also carry a bottle of water at all times to prevent dehydration because some medications can cause problems if that occurs.

Also the chefs are more than willing to tweak a dish to fit into the plan; sometimes its a simple as skipping a sauce or adding a bit more veggies, etc. All they have to do is ask when they are ordering. I would suggest reviewing the menus with them so they can find a place that looks promising - a good idea anyway when traveling with others so everyone is in agreement. :wave:

J_Krafty24

Something you may want to ask about when making reservations (especially if you are on the dining plan) is desserts.

If anyone in your party would like a s/f dessert make sure to mention it to your server by the time you place your order for your main course. That will give them time to either defrost what they have or put something together for you. Some places have excellent s/f desserts, others will offer fresh fruit.

My favorites were
- Chocolate Mousse from the Norway bakery
- Chef Mickey's - they had something s/f on the dessert bar - All I remember is that it was good.
- Wolfgang Pucks - they brought me a big parfait glass layered with sliced strawberries and whipped cream.
- Luau - Big plate of assorted fresh fruit

Mystic

Definitely have everyone sit down together before you book anything and go over the menus together and have everyone agree on which restarants you're going to eat at, that way everyone knows what's on the menu ahead of time. Also, don't be afraid to mention something to the wait staff/host/hostess once you're actually at the restaurant if you're still unsure about the food choices once you're at the restaurant. They'll speak to the chef and he'll come out and talk to you and if need be, they'll make something specifically to suit your needs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom