California Grill and MNSSH fireworks?

horizons82

Original Poster
I was going to dine at California Grill on my birthday and hoped to catch the fireworks after the meal for a special evening.

At first, I was extremely disappointed to find that the park closed early that day and that the fireworks would not be taking place due to it being a 'not-so-scary Halloween' night.

However, I did read where there are still fireworks that take place for MNSSH (although I'm sure a Halloween-themed version).

I'm trying to figure out whether California Grill would still make it an 'event' out of going out onto the observation deck to watch the Hallowishes fireworks on a MNSSH night, and whether the fireworks music and such would still be piped into the CG's sound system for Hallowishes just like it is for the regular Wishes.

Would it still feel like a special night with a dinner and fireworks night at the CG or should I really do it another night when they have the regular Wishes program?

And is it certain they do have fireworks the night of MNSSH?

Thanks for the help!

sissa216

Yes, they definitely have fireworks on MNSSHP nights, and as far as I know they've always been at 9:30- I would guess it will be the same this year too. They are spectacular, and a different soundtrack than regular Wishes. It is SUCH a fun version of Wishes.

Yes, they do still pipe in the music! It is a wonderful view.

horizons82

Original Poster
Sissa, thank you GREATLY for that info!

I was really stressing because we arrive on my birthday and I really wanted to dine at CG for my birthday but still wanted some kind of fireworks show after. I'm glad this will seem to still give me a 'show' after the meal and I can gladly make the arrangements. It also makes the itinerary MUCH nicer, so a sincere thanks for the information!

HouCuseChickie

I love being at Cali Grill for fireworks. We've only seen Hallowishes from inside MK, but we've seen Wishes and Holiday Wishes from Cali Grill. While you're sort of watching at an angle, it's still very cool being up there for it. :)

USAF79

It's great for fireworks. Our server held off our apps while we watched out on the observation deck. Refolded our napkins ect. Very nice romantic night with the fireworks.

epcotisbest

We found the halloween fireworks music and voice over simply horrendous. We watched from Top of the World next door at BLT. The traditional Wishes is magical and we have viewed it from inside the park many times, from Cali Grill several times including for our 30th anniversary, from the Contemporary 4th floor viewing area, from the beach at Poly and more. Once and only once for the halloween fireworks thing. Never again. But lots of people seem to enjoy the halloween thing. I just don't get it. Seems to me kinda like playing Ozzy during Carousel of Progress, just does not go together. Rather have ice cream topped with collard greens, or maybe a root canal.

LucyK

To each his own I guess because Hallowishes is my favorite firework show at WDW!

I was wondering what's the best time to book a reservation for better chance of being seated near the window? We'll be there for the first MVMCP, which also have a special firework show.

sissa216

We ate at California Grill the day after Thanksgiving last year, with a reservation around 9:40 and Wishes at 10:00. We had the PERFECT seat by the window. However, the server told us we were extremely lucky, and that he rarely sees anyone give up such a good seat so close to fireworks time. I would probably recommend trying for at least 45 minutes out.

HouCuseChickie

Timing an ADR for fireworks is tough, but we've found it nearly impossible to get those seats right along the window. The first time we tried Cali Grill, we were advised to try getting an ADR for 1.25-1.5 hours before fireworks start to have a chance at a window. On that first visit...the best we got was 1 row off from the window. It was a great view, but obviously not right on the window. We used similar ADR timing when we dined there during MVMCP a year later. We were seated along a window on that visit, but the only fireworks we were seeing from our table were from Illuminations. Still, in both cases, we were having dessert right around the time fireworks went off and you can always go out to the decks if you're not at a table with a great view.

HouCuseChickie

Here's a visual ... Wishes from a table 1 row away from the windows. IMO it's still a decent view. Mind you- it's in the old seating configuration, but if you can get something like this now, it's probably not worth waiting an excessive amount of time for something right on the window.

6062915557_f88bd602e4.jpg

horizons82

Original Poster
Wow, the view from that table is pretty decent considering it's not right at the window.

I know CG was closed for a while for renovation, but they do still have the outside observation deck since they opened don't they? Anyone have details on what (if any) changes they made to the outside observation deck?

sissa216

I believe they actually expanded the observation deck if I'm not mistaken. It is definitely still there. Lovely view @HouCuseChickie - we were basically exactly there, but at the window. It was breathtaking; our first experience at the restaurant for our 9th anniversary, and definitely an experience that can't be topped!

I had left my camera in the room to focus on dinner- but now I kind of wish I had brought it with me. Here are a few low quality phone pictures.

IMG_2708_zpsfb36bc44.jpg
IMG_2723_zps9786837f.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom