Buying a second camera

LVROFDSNY

Original Poster
I have a great camera for up close shots...but am looking at buying a camera with more zoom capabilities...but don't have the money to buy the exact camera I want. I am looking for a camera between $150 and $300. Here are a few things I THINK I want in the camera...are any of these not necessarily important? (I of course want the shots everyone wants, night, movements, fireworks, and I understand that it is about learning the camera too.)

Ok...the things I want:
at least 10x optical zoom
at least 8 megapixel
1600 ISO or higher
re-chargeable battery
zoom stabilization

Is there anything else I should be looking for in a camera? Do you have any suggestions?

PhotoDave219

Your best bet is to find something with your base requirements and something that allows you to have manual settings so you can take what you learn and apply that to the night shots and fireworks.

A great, comparison research site is DPReview which allows you to compare and contrast features, price and sometimes has hands-on user reviews.

I went to WDW back in May and rocked two point and shoots, both Canon, the Digital Elph and an older A530. I really like the "color highlight" feature on the Canon, wherein everything is Monochrome except one color in the camera. Here's an example:
blueballs.JPG

Personally, I stick with Canon or Nikon. They make excellent pro-level cameras and are on the cutting edge of image processing, giving people what they want - low noise and higher ISOs.

So after a quick glimpse of what is out there, I'd be buying one of these four: Canon Powershot G10, Nikon Coolpix P6000, Canon Powershot SX1 IS and Nikon Coolpix P80. Comparison of the Four.

But i cannot stress this enough, to get the shots you want, you have to learn how to use it. The biggest problem most P&S cameras have (beyond low light problems) is shutter lag, meaning how long it takes for the camera to take the picture from the time you push the button. This is something you have to learn to compensate for so you can get that peak shot.
Example:
blockparty.JPG

Now for fireworks, you will probably be limited to 15 seconds max for an exposure, which is completely fine. 5-10 is all you'll need. However, most P&S will do post processing for the same length of time of the picture you just took if you took a picture that goes longer than 1 second.
So this 5 second shot of illuminations took another 5 seconds before i could shoot again.
fireworks.JPG

So again I'll reitterate to everyone out there who actually reads what i have to say - I mean i do this for a living and i really hate to see people spend thousands of dollars to try and get pictures and walk away unsatisfied - You can get great photos with the camera you already own. You don't need to go out and drop 700-3000 dollars on a dSLR to get amazing pictures, like this lightning shot (15 seconds, f/8, set on a trashcan and angled up with the edge of my baseball hat)
lightningcastle2.jpg

Just learn the basics and spend some money on a basic book, rather than a $1000 dollar dSLR.

KeithVH

All the cameras I would have recommended a couple of weeks ago were just superseded by the latest Photokina announcements and they're no longer in production. You can still buy some of them but at a very silly premium price. So much for that.

One caveat to the above - don't think the SX1 will be available in US (but that CMOS chip would be nice). But the SX10 is available right now at Amazon. Meets all your specs. I would not hesitate to recommend that since the A650 and S5 are no longer viable options.

Sony : DSC-H10
has your 10 x zoom... ISO up to 3200.... optical image stabilization... 8.l megapixels... uses a rechargeable lithium ion battery... and even direct from Sony it is only 279.99

So you can probably find it cheaper other places.

But that fits your list of requirements... the only down side to it is the memory card it uses is not SD its a memory stick....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom