Busch Gardens First Timer

Matt7187

Original Poster
So, next Saturday, my dad and I are going to Busch Gardens for the day during our Spring Training trip, and it is our first time. We are both fans of coasters and will ride any of them. What are the must dos and what should we hit first? Also, what are the best places to eat in the park? Thank you!

cheezbat

Montu, Sheikra, Cheetah Hunt, and Kumba are all must dos. I find Scorpion to be pretty fun too.
I haven't ridden Falcons Fury yet, but my friends tell me it's quite an exciting drop ride.

I find the Smokehouse near Sheikra and the Crown Colony House to be my favorite locations to dine.

It's a nice park. Have fun!

Mickey81

Sheikra is awesome. Cheetah hunt, was a lot of fun and smooth too. Kumba was pretty cool, but rough. Montu was down when we visited, so I didn't do that. The only one that I didn't really care for was the wooden coaster, but I think they closed that recently.

Omnikron

Best place to eat is the Smokehouse near Sheikra. As for coaster the above mentioned are a great ride. Typically you'll want to do Cheetah Hunt first in the morning as the line for it will tend to get long and it being Spring Break, even more so. Falcon's Fury is a good drop ride, that's about it really. Sheikra would be next and then you can take your picks between Kumba and Montu. I enjoy them both for different reasons but you really can't go wrong there.

Gwazi closed back on Feb 1st and really, you didn't want to experience it. The ride was very rough and would've realigned your back after you got off of it.

MattC

Montu, Sheikra, Cheetah Hunt, and Kumba are all must dos. I find Scorpion to be pretty fun too.
I haven't ridden Falcons Fury yet, but my friends tell me it's quite an exciting drop ride.

I find the Smokehouse near Sheikra and the Crown Colony House to be my favorite locations to dine.

It's a nice park. Have fun!

^ This

nepalostparks

Busch Gardens just started its new Food & Wine Festival this past weekend, and it will continue this weekend when you visit. (Kool & the Gang is the headline act at 6 p.m. if you are so inclined - it's included in admission). I strongly suggest eating your way around the food booths at the festival - we enjoyed several dishes during the media preview Friday and then we spent the afternoon eating through several more booths on Saturday. There wasn't a dish we didn't like - the best for us was the Bacon Mac & Cheese and Beef Brisket (although the potatoes with the brisket were a bit on the bland side). Portion sizes are pretty large, and prices range from $4 and change up to $6.75 (that's the highest we saw anywhere). There's also lots of wine and several dozen craft beers available as well.

If you arrive early (parking toll booths open about 30 minutes prior to scheduled park time) then I would hit Cheetah Hunt first, as that will be a long wait most of the day. After Cheetah Hunt, then Montu due to proximity. As mentioned above, the back half of the park doesn't open until 30 minutes after the park opening (and Congo River Rapids opens 60 - 90 minutes after the park opening). Falcon's Fury due to it's intimidating nature actually keeps the lines in check - this past Saturday we saw it around 30 to 40 minutes in the early afternoon.

Don't miss walking through the Edge of Africa (keep an eye out for the new cheetah cubs), Tiger Trail or Kangaloom. Always the potential for great animal interaction/sightings. I also recommend going on the Skyride - ride fromt he Cheetah Hunt area early or later, otherwise try the Stanleyville station where the line is shorter the rest of the day (it's a one way ride in either direction). Iceploration is the headline park show, and it's pretty cool if you enjoy shows.

minbrad

We are also visiting for the first time next month. Our 11 year old isn't much of a thrill rider, but she's excited about the all of the animal exhibits and interactions. She'll also like to see Iceploration. How do you suggest we start our day off? Taking the BG bus transportation from Sea World as we're actually staying at a WDW resort. Thank you!

nepalostparks

We are also visiting for the first time next month. Our 11 year old isn't much of a thrill rider, but she's excited about the all of the animal exhibits and interactions. She'll also like to see Iceploration. How do you suggest we start our day off? Taking the BG bus transportation from Sea World as we're actually staying at a WDW resort. Thank you!

The bus usually arrives between 10 and 11 depending on traffic. First thing I would do is check to see what is going on at Cheetah Run (they have a presentation normally at 10:30 and 11:30 and again twice in the afternoon). They usually run one of the cheetahs at least once a day - the time varies from day to day. It's over in a just a few seconds, but it's something very cool to see if you're into animals.

There are also regular animal trainer talks/interactions in the Edge of Africa - look for signs posted when you enter near Cheetah Hunt (just over the railroad tracks). Also, check out Jambo Junction in the early afternoon (around 1 or so) as they often open the inside housing part and/or have an interaction with one of the "animal ambassadors." If you're visiting on a weekday, also try to stop by the Animal Care Center in Nairobi early in the day (before noon). They often do animal check ups or other procedures. Occasionally they do them on the weekends, but it's more rare.

Around 1:30 or 2, they elephants go off habitat and they set up a daily enrichment activity for the elephants to enjoy. They normally come back on habitat between 2:15 and 2:45 depending one what gets set up.

I also suggest stopping in Lory Landing where you can feed the birds (fee) and in Kangaloom where you can pet and feed the kangaroos (fee). Either location you can also go in without buying the food cup, but you'll usually get less attention from the animals.

The big thing is to always ask animal care or guest relations staff on the day of your visit - times often change to keep it interesting for the animals and based on conditions and staffing that day. If they don't know ask them to radio the appropriate department/area to get the answer, they usually can do that and it only takes a minute.

The Skyride is a neat way to see some of the Serengeti. If the train is open during your visit, put your family's "photographer" on the left side of the train - that generally provides better views of the plains as you head across the open Serengeti. There is also the upcharge Serengeti Safari that takes groups out for about 30 minutes to see some of the animals a little closer, including an opportunity to feed a giraffe. It's definitely worth considering, and I think it's a neat experience, but if it isn't in the budget, there are lots of other opportunities to get up close with the wildlife throughout the park with the way the habitats are built for viewing.

Iceploration is great - stay after the show and head to the left side of the stage to meet one of the show's animal performers. The newest show is Opening Night Critters up in Pantopia - yes, it's a bit cheesy, but it shows a number of rescued pets (including cats, dogs, birds and a few others) doing a variety of tricks. After the show here too they bring out several animals for up close interaction.

Hope that helps - BGT is a great park to go to for animal interactions. You can spend an entire day doing just that and feel you've had a worthwhile experience.

Last edited:

minbrad

Great information nepalostparks...thank you so much. I know all of the WDW parks like the back of my hand so this is a little intimidating. We've been wanting to go to BGT for years so we are excited to finally visit. Is the park fairly easy to navigate? We don't want to miss anything. I'll pick up the park guide and be sure to ask questions because the more animal interactions, the better.

nepalostparks

Great information nepalostparks...thank you so much. I know all of the WDW parks like the back of my hand so this is a little intimidating. We've been wanting to go to BGT for years so we are excited to finally visit. Is the park fairly easy to navigate? We don't want to miss anything. I'll pick up the park guide and be sure to ask questions because the more animal interactions, the better.

They layout can be a bit confusing for first timers. It's not set up like the Disney parks, so that may throw you off some. I liken the layout to a large 'Q' where there is one main circular loop and the jut off of it towards Cheetah Hunt and Montu/Egypt area. Sometimes things can look close (like looking at SheiKra from Pantopia) but you have to make a wide arc around to get to it. Keep a map with you and look for signs and bigger landmarks, and you should be fine. Asking an employee can help, but honestly some of the part timers and newer employees just aren't that familiar with where everything is and the best route to get there.

Matt7187

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the tips! We got there right when the park opened, and it turns out the tickets we got had unlimited Quick Queue, so that worked out pretty well.

kelknight84

We were there yesterday too. Arrived at park open and left about 1:30 when it finally started to get busy. Walked on most everything. I was worried with food and wine but I think it kept people from arriving until later.

Daniel Johnson

Great thread! We are making our first visit to BG this coming Saturday. Doing the unlimited food thing, as my wife is going with her cousin, they both enjoy the bigger coasters, I do, but, I choose to eat if I can.
Anybody done the unlimited food thing? Any highlights? Anything to avoid...?
Wife said the smokehouse and crown colony are not involved in the unlimited food...bummer as it's something you guys all highlighted

nepalostparks

Unless something just changed, the Smokehouse is included. It's just only certain menu items qualify - not the sampler, for example. This is true of most restaurants... there is often one or two most expensive options that aren't included (but usually can be added for a small surcharge of a few bucks).

The third floor Crown Colony Restaurant, which is full service and never included in All Day Dining, hasn't opened at all since the holidays, so it's not an option either way. There is a counter service option available on the second floor, it's called Crown Colony Cafe, which may be part of the confusion.

Keep an eye out to see if the new Dragon Fire Grill in Pantopia is open while you are there. It officially opens Monday, but a soft open isn't out of the question. Can't comment on the food options since it's pretty much a whole new menu in a brand new kitchen and serving area.

If you arrive for opening, Zagora Cafe (near the front of the park) is the only place with breakfast, so stop there as the other quick service restaurants don't open until 11 a.m. most days. If you buy a souvenir cup (or if you have any SeaWorld/Busch Gardens souvenir cup from a previous visit) you get free refills at all the restaurants and any snack stand with fountain beverages. Just show your All Day Dining wristband. They also normally run a Buy One, Get One Free promotion for snacks at the concession stands for All Day Dining holders. Just check when you get there, I know it occasionally changes, and haven't looked to see what it was recently.

Daniel Johnson

Unless something just changed, the Smokehouse is included. It's just only certain menu items qualify - not the sampler, for example. This is true of most restaurants... there is often one or two most expensive options that aren't included (but usually can be added for a small surcharge of a few bucks).

The third floor Crown Colony Restaurant, which is full service and never included in All Day Dining, hasn't opened at all since the holidays, so it's not an option either way. There is a counter service option available on the second floor, it's called Crown Colony Cafe, which may be part of the confusion.

Keep an eye out to see if the new Dragon Fire Grill in Pantopia is open while you are there. It officially opens Monday, but a soft open isn't out of the question. Can't comment on the food options since it's pretty much a whole new menu in a brand new kitchen and serving area.

If you arrive for opening, Zagora Cafe (near the front of the park) is the only place with breakfast, so stop there as the other quick service restaurants don't open until 11 a.m. most days. If you buy a souvenir cup (or if you have any SeaWorld/Busch Gardens souvenir cup from a previous visit) you get free refills at all the restaurants and any snack stand with fountain beverages. Just show your All Day Dining wristband. They also normally run a Buy One, Get One Free promotion for snacks at the concession stands for All Day Dining holders. Just check when you get there, I know it occasionally changes, and haven't looked to see what it was recently.

Thanks for posting! We actually HAD a sea world mug from when we went at the end of last year. Can we just use it for free drinks, or do we pay again? Thank you again for your post! I'll check out every resturant I can!

nepalostparks

Thanks for posting! We actually HAD a sea world mug from when we went at the end of last year. Can we just use it for free drinks, or do we pay again? Thank you again for your post! I'll check out every resturant I can!

If you're on the All Day Dining plan, then refills in the cup are free. Any SeaWorld cup should work - as long as it's not one of the special Christmas Celebration cocoa mugs - those might not. If you don't have the All Day Dining, you can still use the cup for 99 cent refills.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom