Bursting out of the screen?

Bonbondisney

Original Poster
I’ve always wondered how they burst out of the screen. My dads favourite thing from Florida was a show when someone on a motorbike on a screen was played and then an actual person burst out. I said I would ask here and then he remembered he thinks it was a universal show (terminator maybe?) but I’ve seen similar with disney Cinamagique

Kobe!!

I don't know the how of this but your dad is definitely remembering the Terminator 2 3D ride at Universal.
While reading the OP's post I was thinking your thoughts!!! GREAT, and I mean GREAT show they had put on with that "ride".

Link to watch the full show:

Goofyernmost

While reading the OP's post I was thinking your thoughts!!! GREAT, and I mean GREAT show they had put on with that "ride".

Link to watch the full show:

Disney got me started on my fixation with theme parks, but in all honesty, Terminator is the absolute best attraction of any I have been too. It had more special effects than anything I had ever seen and it was years ago that it was built. I miss that one more than any other attraction in any theme park that I have seen. I went to that first every time I went to Universal and really feel that it was a shame that they ended it, but if you noticed the size of the cast of that show, it is obvious that it was an expensive attraction to keep in operation. Disney isn't the only one that worries about expenses. It had animatronics, 3D movie, live actors and even the seats moved with every blast. And I never saw, to this day, any Terminator movies so it is easy to see that done properly, knowing the back story is not necessary at all.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Holy Thread Bump Batman… here goes!

The screen in which the movie is projected moves up and down. When in the “up” position, it reveals a doorway for actors (terminator on bike) to enter and exit the stage space. It’s concealed by th smoke effect that covers the doorway before the screen moves.

1. Smoke covers where doorway is located
2. Screen moves to reveal doorway
3. Actor moves through doorway
4. Screen quickly lowers
5. Smoke shuts off

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Holy Thread Bump Batman… here goes!

The screen in which the movie is projected moves up and down. When in the “up” position, it reveals a doorway for actors (terminator on bike) to enter and exit the stage space. It’s concealed by th smoke effect that covers the doorway begore the screen moves.

1. Smoke covers where doorway is lovated
2. Screen moves to reveal doorway
3. Actor moves through doorwY
4. Screen quickly lowers
5. Smoke shuts off
OK how did what's her name exit?
(Kimberly)

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
OK how did what's her name exit?
(Kimberly)
This one I don’t know 100%. But I can make some assumptions based on what you do and do not see. There are multiple stage lifts located in the theater.

My assumption:
1. When Kimberly returns behind the desk that is on stage right before she is grabbed and “lifted”, she is returning to an exact spot where a stage lift is located.
2. When the police terminator “picks her up”, the floor underneath her raises. (Keep in mind, you don’t see her feet or the lower part of her legs at this moment). So, it looks like she is actually off the ground.
3. When she is “thrown”, she basically falls back onto a pad behind her which is also on the same lift. So the fall is actually much shorter than it appears.
4. The actress then lays in place until the lift lowers (as the projection begins) below the stage level along with the desk obstructing the view.
5. The gap in the floor quickly closes after. From there the actress can get up and reset for next viewing.

And from out front, it all looks “SUPER….” :)

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No
what about in MMRR in DHS and DL, how does that preshow effect work
The wall underneath the screen is split into two halves. You can see where they meet in the middle. When the effect starts, the screen starts moving up and smoke begins pouring out to obscure it. The edges of the blast hole in the screen are motorized, and once the screen rises high enough they fold out. As the screen is rising, the walls underneath are sliding apart.

It’s explained pretty well in this video:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom