BTMR questions

DisneyFan 2000

Original Poster
I noticed that we are the only Disney park that has a BTMR without a splash in the middle of the ride!!!

Why is that?

And im going to be at the world from the September 28 - October 4 and I was wondering if it will really go down for a rehab? And how are the crowds at this time?

66 days till the magic starts............. :animwink: :animwink: :sohappy: :sohappy:

BRER STITCH

Good Question!

There hasnever been a splash when we rode it either (most recently, two days ago!).

There is SOME splashing from overhead when you go under the waterfall on the first hill, but not much.

Maybe a question of lower ride maintenance by keeping it water-free???

Also, we've got our fingers crossed onthe rehab issue too, as we'll be there again the week before you with folks who have never been to WDW before. I would HATE for them to miss out on Big Thunder!

:wave:

Coasterbp

Nope, there's never been a water splash effect on the WDW version of BTMR. There's just the waterfall you go under on the first lift, and then the flooded town section that has the "trick track", and that's it.

As for the rehab, it's going to happen. Adding much needed AC to the queue line.

DisneyFan 2000

Original Poster
But does anyone know why that is?

Did we get BTMR first? Because that could explane why we dont have a splash. Maybe the other parks just got an upgraded version of the ride?

And what's an AC?

DisneyFan 2000

Original Poster
P.S.

How are the crowds at late September and the begining of October?

Is it more packed because of the Halloween celebrations?

General Grizz

September is still a bit crowded, but the crowds in mid-October are some of the lowest in the entire year (just keep away from the week of Halloween). :)

Lee

Adventurer
Originally posted by ajrwdwgirl
i do believe that wdw was the first to get big thunder mountain.

Nope.
Disneyland got it first, September 1979.
MK's opened a year later, September 1980.

AdLibSean

Originally posted by BRER STITCH
Also, we've got our fingers crossed onthe rehab issue too, as we'll be there again the week before you with folks who have never been to WDW before. I would HATE for them to miss out on Big Thunder!

:wave:

I'm in the same boat. I can't imagine a trip to the MK w/o Big Thunder. I guess that's the price you pay when you go in the off season- refurbs abound! But if World Showcase knows what's good for itself.... :p

Lee

Adventurer
Originally posted by Disneyland/DCA
Even without the water splash, MK's Big Thunder Mountain is better than Disneyland's.

I think they're pretty even.

DL's has a great wooded setting though, right in the middle of Frontierland.

goonsquads57

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but I don't have time to search. How long is BTMR going to be down, or....will it be open and running in December? Any help is appreciated.

RobVanDam

:veryconfu :hammer: :brick: ireally dont remember a splash in Disneyland's version either.. Am i just that stupid to not remember it?

ddbutts1

There used to be a splash on the track on the turn by the Rivers of America but it hasn't been working for a while. Maybe it was turned off with the water restrictions that have been that have shut down a few things, the cannon on Splash Mountain, the big ball in Tomorrowland, various fountains.

TinkRBell427

Ok I don't know if this has been said anywhere else, I searched and I found this thread. But anyway, what are the differences between BTM at DL and WDW, if there are any? Is there a part where the train becomes "derailed?" Like its supposed to happen. :veryconfu See I've never been to DL and my friends mom said that the train "derails" and that was where the accident happened the other day. That the derailing got messed up. I don't think shes right, but again I've never been there. I don't know why, but I feel stupid for asking this question. I feel like I should already know this, but I don't. Any help would be great!!

Dr Albert Falls

For the most part, the two attractions are very similar.

The queues are different. DL has no mining village during the ride (but it IS set up along the outdoor queue).

There is no "derail" effect-- but there is the 3rd lift with the "avalanche scene" that gives the appearance of a broken track--just like at WDW. (I wonder if that's what one of the injured guests saw when she reported to the LA Times seeing the track broken.)

In 1997, Disneyland upgraded its "avalanche scene". They removed the cheesy rocks-on-a-stick. The cavern had a little bit of smoke. They projected some of the "falling rocks". And I believe they even had a few boulders drop from the ceiling, attached to cords. Most notably, they created a very cool effect with fiber optics that made it appear like gold was trickling down the wall.

Bagheera

Originally posted by Dr Albert Falls And I believe they even had a few boulders drop from the ceiling, attached to cords.

Is this true??? If so, could one of the cords have broken, dropping the "boulder" onto the track and causing the derail?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom