News Bruce Vaughn Returns to Disney as Co-Lead of Walt Disney Imagineering

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Bruce Vaughn returns to co-lead Walt Disney Imagineering March 20.

"Bruce Vaughn will return to Disney to co-lead Walt Disney Imagineering, the division responsible for designing and building the company’s theme parks and attractions.

Vaughn will return as chief creative officer and head the division alongside Barbara Bouza, president of Walt Disney Imagineering. The two will report to Josh D’Amaro, chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products.

The longtime executive previously worked at Disney for more than two decades and co-led Walt Disney Imagineering for nine years as chief creative executive. He left the company in 2016 to become CEO and CCO of Dreamscape Immersive, a company that creates location-based virtual reality experiences. He joined Airbnb in 2021 as vice president of experiential creative product, where he led a team responsible for designing immersive offerings for Airbnb stays and experiences.

“I’ve remained an Imagineer at heart, so I’m thrilled to join Barbara and reunite with this phenomenal global team of creators and innovators during this pivotal time,” Vaughn said.

“With so many exciting projects under way and tremendous opportunities ahead of us, I look forward to partnering with Bruce to fuel creativity and deliver next-level experiences,” Bouza said.

In a memo to Disney staff about Vaughn’s return, D’Amaro highlighted CEO Bob Iger’s emphasis on creativity, as well as the opportunity for Vaughn and Bouza to work together on “significant developments under way and more on the horizon.” The two will also be working on a plan to find the “most effective way to structure Imagineering.”

“In Disney Parks, Experiences and Products, we continue to invest in new endeavors that deliver the most compelling experiences, immersing our guests around the world in the stories they love most. In the past few years, we have found ourselves at the crossroads of a wave of new technology and a seemingly unlimited amount of new stories and franchises, allowing us to develop groundbreaking new experiences. Of course, none of this comes to life without a strong commitment to creativity and innovation by the amazing team at Walt Disney Imagineering,” D’Amaro wrote in the memo.

The division has had a co-leadership model since 2009. Bouza had been leading the division herself since December 2021, after Bob Weis moved to Global Imagineering Ambassador and then retired.

The division made changes to its pricing and parking policies at its theme parks earlier this year, offering more days of its lowest priced pass and offering more parking flexibility to consumers, after a push from former CEO Bob Chapek to drive up profits.

Vaughn will begin in the role on March 20."

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Here's the full memo from Josh D'Amaro -

"As Bob Iger often says, creativity is the heart and soul of who we are and what we do at
Disney. In fact, as we look at our company’s 100-year history of bringing captivating and
memorable storytelling to life, the consistent thread that binds us together as a company
across all segments is our ability to drive innovation through creative projects.

In Disney Parks, Experiences and Products, we continue to invest in new endeavors
that deliver the most compelling experiences, immersing our guests around the world in
the stories they love most. In the past few years, we have found ourselves at the
crossroads of a wave of new technology and a seemingly unlimited amount of new
stories and franchises, allowing us to develop groundbreaking new experiences. Of
course, none of this comes to life without a strong commitment to creativity and
innovation by the amazing team at Walt Disney Imagineering.

With this in mind, I’m pleased to share that effective March 20, Bruce Vaughn is
returning to Walt Disney Imagineering as the Chief Creative Officer. Bruce will co-lead
the organization with WDI President Barbara Bouza, with both leaders reporting
directly to me.

Together, Bruce and Barbara will partner closely to connect visionary creative thinking
with project opportunities and flawless execution and delivery. With significant
developments under way and more on the horizon, this dedicated focus toward
creativity and innovation will help us deliver next-level experiences well into the future.
To best accomplish this, they will be working together to swiftly identify the most
effective way to structure Imagineering.

Many of you have had the opportunity to work with Bruce previously. He has a deep
history with Imagineering, serving for more than two decades in leadership roles
including with WDI R&D, as well as co-leading the entire WDI organization as Chief
Creative Executive for nine years. Bruce left Disney in 2016 to become CEO and CCO
of Dreamscape Immersive where he worked with teams to advance virtual reality
technologies for mainstream location-based entertainment, and most recently was with
Airbnb where he developed and led the Experiential Creative Product team.

Please join me in welcoming Bruce back to Disney."

*Edited to fix typo

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There’s a lot of rumblings. From everything by I’ve heard, D’Amaro’s statements about a lot to coming are far from hollow.
They’re in financial malaise…and it’s not exactly looking better in the forecasts

…that isn’t good math for “a lot coming”

Love the optimism though.

The next month is gonna be a lot of tactical maneuvering as Bob tries to keep his hide intact

Smiley/OCD

What attractions has been a part of ?

Who was the principle creative force on Pandora ? Just get that guy to do everything.
That was Joe Rhode, which is why I want him back…LAST WEEK! Let’s put it this way, I’m NOT a fan of Tiana’s ride, BUT, if Rhode were in charge, I’d have a COMPLETELY different outlook on the project…STILL NOT HAPPY, but more comfortable that it would be done right

drnilescrane

If anything this is a perception move. They've structured this just like WDAS and Pixar, where an independent CCO has responsibility for creative staff (and nominally some green light authority over projects).

Iger wanted to send the message that the creatives are back in charge, in all aspects of the company. I suspect this is timed deliberately to coincide with his appearance at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media and Telecom Conference.

I also think that while Disney has revenue and debt issues on the DMED side, the market will look favorably on Capex investment in DPEP (the opposite of 10-15 years ago). It's clear the return is there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom