Bob Iger article....

IWant2GoNow

I don't know too much about the inner workings of the company and what person is good for what job, but this article is VERY encouraging if it's based in truth. I love hearing the word "future" in Iger's comments and thinking. Hope he doesn't deteriorate over time like a lot of CEOs.

raiden

“The baggage of tradition,” he says of Disney’s culture, “can slow you down.”

“I’m not going to eliminate that,” he added, “but I’d like to reduce it significantly.”

Nice.:eek:

wolf359

But the "Disney culture" Iger sees in the company today isn't the rose-colored "back in Walt's day" version we all venerate, but the giant media conglomerate it has become in the last 30 years.

We talk on this message board every day about the ways we'd improve things and change the way the company is run and what its priorities should be. I think it's encouraging that the man actually in a position to make changes sees change as necessary and seems to be making it a priority. I like that. I'd be a lot more worried if he thought everything in the company was just fine and didn't need improvement.

RSoxNo1

I wonder what attraction they're talking about here:

On a Friday, staffers gave Mr. Iger, the chief executive of the Walt Disney Company, a 30-minute rundown of final plans for a new multimillion-dollar attraction at the Disneyland Resort. He hated it.

Could it be Radiator Springs Racers or Little Mermaid at DCA? Or perhaps one of the major E-Tickets that have yet to be announced for Disneyland's expansion.

nor'easter

Could it be Radiator Springs Racers or Little Mermaid at DCA? Or perhaps one of the major E-Tickets that have yet to be announced for Disneyland's expansion.

It's World of Color, and his changes are not good.

floridabill

Well after reading this article I would never want his job! I give him alot of credit, that is alot to deal with. It is so easy for us to all sit here and complain and say why didn't they do this or do that, but easier said than done. It is very refreshing to know that the man in charge still brings up the fact they must be innovative and look ahead to the future, instead of were fine everything is great. It is quite the task to run a company this size. And I have alot more respect for him, and I myself have said why don't they do this or that, but its easier for me or any of us to say it because we don't have all those other headaches and obstacles in the way, were just here to voice our opinions,(complaints!)

sponono88

He's talking about World of Color, specifically about the music. Also, this article talks about events that happened back in February.. The article says he was impressed with the show but felt some of the music had to be reworked. At this point i'm not too worried - World of Color is Steven Davison's baby. As long he's still overseeing the project, that's all that matters.

THE next morning, Mr. Iger is relaxed — or as relaxed as a perpetual motion machine ever is. And the three problems that engulfed him over the last few days had been solved.

That Disneyland attraction, a high-tech water show set to music called World of Color (think the Bellagio fountains in Las Vegas on steroids), was being reworked. He felt that the attraction over all was outstanding, but he worried that the music was all wrong. So he had written notes about each song on how to make the show more modern.

“Ninety-five percent of the decisions made at the company are made by other people,” he says. “But this is a big show, and I felt opportunities were being lost.”
this quote caught my eye:
“We get credit for being innovative, at least in our space, but I think we can be even better,” he says over breakfast at the Lanesborough hotel in London. He complains that in-house lawyers can at times be overly aggressive, that instead of simply advising business units, they are too often making decisions.

“I’m not going to eliminate that,” he added, “but I’d like to reduce it significantly.”
Disney's heritage and tradition is now considered excess baggage? Good job, Iger.

hokielutz

Granted... Iger is the head of a giant international corporation, unlike Walt was when he managed and built up his studio and Disneyland park. So there are some significant differences between the two, but what I do like, is this statement from him:

"...Our brand is so powerful because of our heritage. But you’ve got to innovate, and not just in terms of what is new today but what will be new far into the future.”

Just as Walt bet his and his studio's future on cartoons with Sound and then cartoons with color (at the exasperation of Roy), you can see the same theme with the above profession.

I continue to hope that he keeps the company moving forward.... but at the same time, don't let down the divisions that brought you here: Animation and Domestic theme parks.

KevinFlynn

Many, many things in this article worry me greatly, and it's obvious that the decisions made recently are going to be status quo, rather than anomalies.

hokielutz

Nice.:eek:

could you also say that the tradition that he is talking about is the complacency that took root under the second half of Eisner's control of Disney? Perhaps "baggage" being that foreign markets make content and product decisions locally.

devoy1701

Those comments that he made about reducing the tradition and heritage bother me. But then again Disney being a Media Conglomerate bothers me too. It sounds like Iger is trying to turn Disney into a beast that is selling products, not a brand. It almost sounds like Iger is saying to hell with the brand! Walt's success was because he promoted a brand, didn't focus on products and/or profits. But unfortunately this is the problem with public corporations anyway. People are less inclined to take risks and focus on tradition I guess.

PurpleDragon

Its nice to see he is a much more forward thinking individual than his predecessor. During Eisner's reign he got too cocky and arrogant and way to comfortable with the status quo. Iger seems to be embracing a lot of Walt's ideologies, but applying them to a international conglomerate.

TBH, hearing that he wants to cut back the amount of influence the lawyers have over decision making is a huge plus in my book.:sohappy:

Master Gracey 5

I'd say the fact that Warren Buffet has good things to say about Iger is probably the best sign of what is to come. Everyone can agree that Buffet is an extraordinary businessman, but you don't become one of those by ignoring your customers and focusing only on profits so his support of Iger would indicate that Iger manages the same way. Here's hoping its true.

niteobsrvr

Those comments that he made about reducing the tradition and heritage bother me. But then again Disney being a Media Conglomerate bothers me too. It sounds like Iger is trying to turn Disney into a beast that is selling products, not a brand. It almost sounds like Iger is saying to hell with the brand! Walt's success was because he promoted a brand, didn't focus on products and/or profits. But unfortunately this is the problem with public corporations anyway. People are less inclined to take risks and focus on tradition I guess.

On the contrary, Walt and Roy most certainly understood that promoting the brand meant promoting products. The company thrives on synergy in its marketing. Think Mickey Mouse dolls back in the day. This kind of merchandise cross promotion of major vehicles like movies and characters has been with the company for decades. The theme park rides were sometimes orginals with a story all of their own and at other times were based on a movie or character.

A brand is nothing without products and promotion.

The founders also understood that without money/profit, they were not be able to build the innovative experiences, produce the movies, and generally do things better than their competition. Remember the dark years of the late 70's and early 80's before Eisner? The company had no direction, income was down, and the whole Disney empire was on the verge of being bought up by investors only to split up the individual entities and sell them off at a profit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom