Boardwalk vs. Grand Floridian

kennedy

I'm trying to decide between these two for our May trip. Please sell me on which one to stay at. Here's the stats: 2 adults, no kids, cost is not really an issue, we'll be at WDW for 8 days and plan to spend 5 of those days at the parks, the other three at the hotel, DTD, etc.

As you'll see below, we've stayed at BW before and really liked it. But GF has always been this big unknown. I'd hate to throw away what I know will be a good experience at BW if GF isn't worth it. On the other hand, maybe GF is even better than BW and I won't know that until I stay there.

So confused.
(But people could have worse dilemmas).

lukacseven

GF is definitely more intimate and romantic. You do have monrail access there, and it's a really quick ride to MK. If you're looking for more of a nightlife and activities, BW is the place, especially if you are planning on spending time at the resort. If it were me, I would stay at BW, only because I think it it more unique and you get alot more of the Disney experience, which is why I go there in the first place. I also like BW's lcoation relative t all of the on-site attractions - it is one of the most centrally loacted in all of WDW.

Upvote 0

nickcarraway

I say change it up! Do something different! The Grand Floridan has some good restaurants, a spa, boat rentals and it's on the monorail. It's definitely not my favorite resort, but there's so much to do, I think everyone should stay here at least once. Oh, and don't forget to have afternoon tea. It's delightful...

Upvote 0

SpectroMan

I also agree! Change it up!

GF is amazing. You could just sit back at night and listen to the Jazz band in the lobby or just look at the awesome architecture.

You have the chance to go to the GF, and if you don't, you will always wonder what it is like. Don't regret it, go with GF.

Upvote 0

kennedy

Original Poster
Gf

What is the ambience like at GF? Is there a theme? One of the things I like about BW is the 1920's (30's?) feel. The Belle Vue lounge with the radio show playing in the background has a great feel. Does GF have a "feel" akin to this?

Upvote 0

lukacseven

kennedy said:
What is the ambience like at GF? Is there a theme? One of the things I like about BW is the 1920's (30's?) feel. The Belle Vue lounge with the radio show playing in the background has a great feel. Does GF have a "feel" akin to this?

Not to offend anyone, but when I was at GF, the impression I got was a lot of older people who didn't have children and weren't there for the theme parks stay there. I saw very few families or younger couples. It was like you had to whisper, or everyone in the place (guests) turned and stared at you. I got the feeling of going to the country club with my grandparents. Could have been an isolated experience, or you may like that sort of thing. Just my personal observations and preferences.

Upvote 0

shalket

Stay at the Poly !

If you don't want stuffiness, and you want something different, try the Polynesian. It, in my opinion, is the best of everything. Central location, excellent theming, walk to monorail for Epcot, monorail stop for MK. Excellent restaurants, amazing pool and huge rooms.:)

Upvote 0

SpectroMan

kennedy said:

They are almost the same, but GF has a grander feel, and it is right at the turn of the century. There is a great orchestra that plays in the lobby every night, and it is one of the things that makes this resort.

I have stayed there many times, and I have never felt that it was stuffy or snobby. Yes, there is alot of older people there, but there are alot of families and children too. If you like the Boardwalk, you will love the Grand Floridian.

Upvote 0

njblackberry

The GF is Disney's attempt to recreate the grand old Florida hotels built by raildroad magnate Henry M. Flagler, and we think they've done a great job.

We've stayed there twice; once pre kids and once with very little ones. It is elegant, romantic, graceful AND on the monorail :)

We like the Boardwalk area (we own at BCV), but we also go to the GF when we are there just to see what's new.

Upvote 0

MagicMan17

shalket said:
If you don't want stuffiness, and you want something different, try the Polynesian. It, in my opinion, is the best of everything. Central location, excellent theming, walk to monorail for Epcot, monorail stop for MK. Excellent restaurants, amazing pool and huge rooms.:)

Ditto. I'm big on having a cool pool, though, and that may or may not be your thing. I just can't stand the clown staring at me at the BW pool. Freaky! :lookaroun

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

It really depends on what you are looking for and what you plan on doing during your stay. If you are going to spend time in the Magic Kingdom and want quick easy access to a quiet resort then the GF is right. If you want to have the nightlife and noise constantly then the boardwalk is for you. The boardwalk will give you something to do at all times which is the best perk.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom