Boardwalk vs. Grand Floridian

kennedy

Okay, so we currently have 6 nights in May booked at the Boardwalk. Thanks to the newest code, it's down to $229/night. But now I'm thinking. . . the Grand Floridian is down to $284/night for a standard room. Is this the time to finally try the Grand Floridian? I was really looking forward to staying and the BW (never been there before), but is this opportunity with the GF too good to pass up?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has stayed at either the BW or GF regarding your thoughts on this.

Moustronaut

Ok I admit I've never stayed at GF so this is a biased opinion...

...but stayed at BW last October and I can not say enough awesome things about this resort. The room was great, with a wonderful view of Spaceship Earth and the Eiffle Tower (where else can you get that?). My wife and I spent many of our mornings with coffee on our balcony looking over the garden and with World Showcase in the distance.

Waking up early in the morning and going out on the boardward to go eat at the bakery or at Spoodles is really a treat. The restaurants and clubs are fun to hit after coming back from the parks. The Coney Island style Keester Coaster waterslide is pretty fun too.

But the best part is your can easily walk into the back door of Epcot... so if you end up spending a lot of time at Epcot like I always do, this is a must have!!!

Upvote 0

GalacticGobbler

We have never stayed at the Boardwalk, but we have stayed at the Yacht Club, Beach Club Villas, and the Grand Floridian. My pick hands down is anything at the boardwalk. There is so much more to do, and within walking distance. Restaurants, nightlife, EPCOT, MGM, Fantasia Gardens, etc.

Cant wait 12 more days:sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Hi, never stayed at either sorry. BUT I have stayed at YC and BCV and Poly. While I really loved Y&B and the whole Epcot resort area, GF is an experance like non other at WDW (or any other place for that mater.) GF is also so close to MK and right on the monorail. (a big plus in my book.) I think given the choice I would go for GF. (Just to confuse things, what is the rate for Poly? That is a wonder resort too.)

Where you want to spend most of your time maters. If you have a family with youngens or is just adults. How much does the pool mater to you? Also, it seem like BW is always under some kind of renovation, ask and see if it is when you plan to go.

My sugestion is stay at GF, then check out DVC when you are down there, get your free meal and then join DVC, BCV. (hurry they are selling out fast!) You can stay at BWV, BCV and VWL in the future for the next 39 years! (not to mention OKW and Vero Beach.)

Sorry, we are happy DVC members and just want to "share the joy!"

Upvote 0
I can maybe help. In August of 2001 we stayed at the Boardwalk. In December 2002 we stayed at the Grand Floridian. Here are some thoughts:

The GF is most convenient to the Magic Kingdom. When going there, the monorail is the best way there, the boats the best way back. However, we found that our car was the best transportation everywhere else from the Grand Floridian.

Other than the pool, there is not much else to do during the day at the GF hotel. If you wanted to take a day off from the parks, the pool would be the main attraction there. The hotel is great, but some rooms are pretty far from the main hotel. The restaurants are ok, but nothing to rave about. We did not eat at the fancy one, whose name now escapes me. The bar is ok, but small.

We preferred the Boardwalk. Firstly, we really felt the staff was nicer there, perhaps a little less stuffy. We were upgraded to the garden suites, which was fantastic. We usually walked to Epcot. We took the boat to MGM. We used the Disney transportation for everything else. We did not touch our car while we were at the Boardwalk.

There are plenty of things to do on the Boardwalk. Restaurants, brew pubs, ESPN Zone, shops, dueling piano bar, dancing make this a fun little area. In fact, while we were staying at the Grand Floridian, we spent a lot of money using valet parking at the Boardwalk. From there we walked to Epcot, enjoyed Illuminations, strolled back to Boardwalk, and had fun there. I bet we parked at Boardwalk 3-4 times.

It was only my wife and myself on this trip. If you have little kids that want to spend most of the time at the Magic Kingdom, then GF may be the place for you. However, we felt that Boardwalk offered more, the people were friendlier, and was more convenient overall. By the way, valet parking at the GF takes forever. They need to take a page from the valets at Boardwalk.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to try to answer.

Upvote 0

disneydudette

I think its mainly what you may prefer...

GF- the monorail is great....and the pool is decent...and I would stay there just to be able to say I stayed there....but if you do have young kids...then I advise against it...the resort is not all that kid friendly...very "poo-poo" and elegant....If its you and a spouse....then YES! its great for couples...definaltey a romantic getaway...the only downside is its lack of closeness to all the other parks...

BW- LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION...BW is great for MGM and EPCOT! which is great if you have older kids...its also close to FANTASIA mini golf...which is a good deal...the boardwalk location is great....you have the shops and restaurants...aswell as a well-themed pool...the overall feeling is more relaxed...

If you are traveling with smaller kids...and do want a MK resort...I would lean more towards the POLY....its on the monorail...close to the TTC and has a better pool and slide...and more well themed for kids...plusI hear the Neverland club is great for the kids...

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

Def. BOARDWALK as you can walk or take a boat to MGM and Epcot. Also, youre at the BoardWalk itself, zand can walk to Yacht and Becah and Swan and Dolphin, and mini golf. It's very picturesque and very seaside-y, which is pretty. The ambiance and location aree excellent resons to pick the BoardWalk, or any Epcot Resort.

Remember that the monorails, especially at closings and openings, get jammed in the stations and you end up waiting inside a monorail for a good 5-10 minutes till the "traffic congestion" ahead at the station has moved on.

Ugh, wlak and take boats to the other parks, much more peaceful and serene. And the collective themeing at the Epcot Resorts is magnifique.

Upvote 0

Pippa

Yep i agree with the BW although i have never stayed at GF. The service at the BW is fabulous the rooms are lovely and if you want to pop back to the resort for a time out the BW is always really quiet in the day time. Whan i stayed there in 1998 we were given a basket of sweets on our last night with a note saying "Hope you had a magical vacation".

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

Who is going to be going on this trip? I've only stayed GF and poly, and I have to say that with children, I would not want to leave the MK monorail!! It is soooooooooo convenient!! And the kids love the monorail. I am sure that Boardwalk is awesome, I'm sure all resorts are! But until I have older kids who don't whine every time we have to walk more than five feet to get somewhere, it's the monorail for me!! (Plus - airconditioning! It was so welcome on some of those rides back to the room. I swear I fell asleep in there once!!) Plus, GF is gorgeous... absolutely. The flower arrangements in the main building lobby are reason enough to visit! spectacular!! (We're doing Poly next trip... I love that "zero entry pool " where the little tiny ones can play in an inch of water and think they're such big stuff!!)

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

also...

I never had any trouble whatsoever with anybody being anything less than completely friendly and courteous and helpful at GF. There were just tons of kids there when we were... but Poly is more for kids.. arcade, and man did I use the laundry room!

Upvote 0
When we were at the Grand Floridian in December, I would say there were plenty of kids there. It is definitely kid friendly. There is a character breakfast everyday there.

To clarify and add to my previous post, I would say that the GF is a more elegant resort than the Boardwalk. We did stay in the garden suite at Boardwalk, so I can't speak for the average room there, but the average room at the Grand Floridian was very nice. The common areas of the GF are just gorgeous.

My main point in my previous post was that there was just more to do in the surrounding area of the Boardwalk hotel, and we found the transportation more convenient there.

Upvote 0

Marijil

We have never stayed at the Boardwalk, but we were blown away by the GF....I think it really has to do with who is in your party.....MK or EPCOT/MGM...that is the question...(wait, i thought to be or not to be was the...) well, you get the picture

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I say go for the GF, or try to get a room at the Polynesian. Nothing beats the convenience of the monorail and the ammenities of those resorts. It is great when you get your own private viewing of Fantasy in the Sky from a hammock on the beach.

Upvote 0

kennedy

Original Poster
Originally posted by doombuggy1983
I can maybe help. In August of 2001 we stayed at the Boardwalk. In December 2002 we stayed at the Grand Floridian. Here are some thoughts:

The GF is most convenient to the Magic Kingdom. When going there, the monorail is the best way there, the boats the best way back. However, we found that our car was the best transportation everywhere else from the Grand Floridian.

Other than the pool, there is not much else to do during the day at the GF hotel. If you wanted to take a day off from the parks, the pool would be the main attraction there. The hotel is great, but some rooms are pretty far from the main hotel. The restaurants are ok, but nothing to rave about. We did not eat at the fancy one, whose name now escapes me. The bar is ok, but small.

We preferred the Boardwalk. Firstly, we really felt the staff was nicer there, perhaps a little less stuffy. We were upgraded to the garden suites, which was fantastic. We usually walked to Epcot. We took the boat to MGM. We used the Disney transportation for everything else. We did not touch our car while we were at the Boardwalk.

There are plenty of things to do on the Boardwalk. Restaurants, brew pubs, ESPN Zone, shops, dueling piano bar, dancing make this a fun little area. In fact, while we were staying at the Grand Floridian, we spent a lot of money using valet parking at the Boardwalk. From there we walked to Epcot, enjoyed Illuminations, strolled back to Boardwalk, and had fun there. I bet we parked at Boardwalk 3-4 times.

It was only my wife and myself on this trip. If you have little kids that want to spend most of the time at the Magic Kingdom, then GF may be the place for you. However, we felt that Boardwalk offered more, the people were friendlier, and was more convenient overall. By the way, valet parking at the GF takes forever. They need to take a page from the valets at Boardwalk.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to try to answer.

Doombuggy, thanks for the excellent advice! For this trip, it's just my husband and I, and we plan to spend a lot of time at Epcot and "dinner and drinks" evenings, so I think the BW is the place to go. Children will be on the horizon soon, so I think I'll save the GF for times when the convenience to MK is more essential.

Upvote 0
No problem. We have been to WDW without kids twice now, and it is a fun experience for a couple. I do think you will enjoy Boardwalk more than GF for your needs. It is nice to have Epcot and all it offers a couple within walking distance, plus all the stuff on the Boardwalk.

If you guys like steak dinners, you might try Shula's Steak House across the way at the Dolphin. Kinda pricey, but it is a nice adult getaway from the Disney stuff.

We were there for 14 days last December, so we did just about everything you can do at all the parks. If you have any questions, don't hesitate.

Have a great time!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom