BGTB: Does anyone know what is happening with Rhino Rally, Gwazi Tiger or Sandstorm?

djlaosc

Original Poster
Or the rumoured Tower Drop Ride?

http://www.screamscape.com/html/busch_gardens_tampa.htm

Screamscape said:
(9/18/12) Busch Gardens Tampa has confirmed with Screamscape that Rhino Rally “is closed for extensive maintenance, including an enhancement of the animal habitats. It will reopen in time for the busy holiday season, though I don’t have an exact date yet.”
(9/17/12) Interesting developments are taking place at Busch Gardens it seems, regarding the future of Rhino Rally. Though it was never listed on the official attraction’s rehab page on the park’s website, Rhino Rally closed down and was walled off earlier this month. The attraction is now no longer listed anywhere on the Busch Gardens website, and they’ve even gone so far as to remove it from the online park map, as well as the newest maps in the park.
Previously we did have a long standing rumor that a “fix” or major upgrade was planned for Rhino Rally that would include new features to make it more exciting again, new storyline as well as a fleet of new trucks.
A reader upon seeing the walled off attraction did quiz a nearby crew member who stated that it was down for refurbishment and was supposed to reopen in late December. However when this same reader stopped into Guest Services on the way out to dig for more information, they were told an entirely different story. Guest Services told them that Rhino Rally was closed “indefinitely”, with the possibility that it MAY reopen for the busy Holiday season. So in Florida park speak… it almost seems like Rhino Rally may have been changes into a ‘Seasonal Only’ attraction… one that is only open during the most busy periods of the year… typically Spring Break, the most busy Summer weeks, and for the Christmas holiday run.
I’ve reached out to the park to try and find out more about the ride’s current status.

Screamscape said:
(11/12/12) I had first heard about this back in September, but I thought I’d give it time to work itself out… but apparently this is not been the case. For whatever reason Gwazi Tiger is said to be closed indefinitely, and we know it has been closed since the end of the busy summer season. Only the Lion side is up and running, and the park is running both Lion and Tiger themed trains on the Lion side of the track.
What isn’t known is if Tiger is closed for a rehab of some kind (are they actually doing any work to it?) or did the park close it down for budget reasons after the summer was over? Anyone out there who can fill us in a bit more on what is going on with Gwazi? I know early in 2012 I did hear a rumor about possibly wanting to test out some Topper Track on Gwazi, but so far the reports seem to indicate that Tiger is just closed and no signs of a major overhaul.

While on the subject of lengthy rehabs… does anyone have an update on the status of Rhino Rally? The park reported to Screamscape earlier this year that it was undergoing a long term rehab and would be open for the 2012 Holiday Season. Just wondering if they are making any kind of progress here as well.
Also worth mentioning, the park has closed Sandstorm for it’s published rehab, and it does appear that behind the construction walls the ride is being taken apart. Previous permits filed by the park had shown their intention to move the ride to a new location over by Gwazi, freeing up the old location for the park’s rumored new drop tower ride.

djlaosc

Original Poster
Update from Screamscape:

Screamscape said:
(11/13/12) According to a Screamscape source, Gwazi Tiger was shut down primarily for budget purposes only. While Rhino Rally was supposed to be getting a long term Rehab, insiders say that they don’t know if much of anything has been done to it. There is also the issue of staffing, as all over the old Rally drivers were transferred to new positions out in the park. Since then a number of them have apparently quit, and according to a former Rally driver the park hasn’t said a thing to them yet about retraining to drive the course again, or if there are possible reopening dates.

wiigirl

I don't know, but I am curious too.
75.gif

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I have heard two things on regards to Gwazi. I cannot confirm which is true and which is not at this time but working on finding it out.

cheezbat

Gwazi is only running one side for operations/money reasons. Most days in the offseason they keep a side closed anyway.

As for Sandstorm, it's supposed to be relocated near Gwazi. That's good news to me because I love that ride, and don't care for drop towers...so if it got replaced with one i would have been mad.

The drop tower situation sounds like it most likely will happen, just that they're looking at options for manufacturers.

As for Rhino Rally, I have no clue what's up, except knowing there's been a rumor about an expansion for awhile now.

StageFrenzy

Ever since they took the water portion out rhino rally is super lame, if it goes the way of WoL or sounds dangerous I wouldn't be disappointed or miss it.

djlaosc

Original Poster
Ever since they took the water portion out rhino rally is super lame, if it goes the way of WoL or sounds dangerous I wouldn't be disappointed or miss it.

It really is nowhere near as good as it used to be - I think that we would avoid it until they expand it from now on!

StageFrenzy

It really is nowhere near as good as it used to be - I think that we would avoid it until they expand it from now on!

Seeing how it is closed "Seasonally" I don't think you will have difficulty. The sucker loaded slowly, took a lot of staff, wasn't that interesting and probably was costly with increased insurance risk in running it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom