Bfast Buffet

LRnascarfan

Original Poster
I'm thinking of changing our Whispering Canyon Cafe bfast to either Akershus or Crystal Palace. We are all adults (Me & 2 of my daughters 23 & 18) but still like to have a pic with characters and breakfast buffets make it so easy!! What are y'alls opinions of these two restaurants? We have eaten lunch at Crystal Palace before (about 12 years ago) and have never eaten at Akershus. Do they have regular American breakfast fare there as well as Norweigian?

Thanks for any tips!!

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I would go with Crystal Palace if wanting a true full American buffet. Akershus is not a typical large buffet. It's much smaller and less to choose from. Both places are wonderful but just look at the menus on here to see which one appeals to you most. Also Crystal Palace is Winnie the Poo characters and Akershus is some of the princesses. So also depends on that too which ones you want to meet more. Poo characters are nowhere's else in the park where as the princesses some/most are elsewhere to meet. :)

LeighM

I enjoyed both! Which park do you want to go to that day? I enjoyed Crystal Palace and meeting the Winnie the Pooh characters. Plus I really like their breakfast lasagna and breakfast pizza :) It was a lot noisier at CP than breakfast at Akershus. Breakfast at Akershus has the Norwegian cold buffet and muffins, etc while they bring the hot food to your table family style. I prefer the atmosphere at Akershus. We had breakfast there before the park opened and it was nice to be right at Frozen Ever After and have a shorter wait in line. Here are some pictures at Akershus:

A few selections from the cold buffet - didn't get a pic of my plate with the herring and gjetost cheese.
2016-10-03 08.29.10.jpg

American breakfast served family style - eggs, bacon, sausage, cheesy potatoes
2016-10-03 08.38.24.jpg

chrisbarry

Two very different food experiences.
The buffet at Crystal Palace is more extensive. There's even a custom made omelet/egg station. You won't get that at Akershus. There really isn't a choice at Akershus. They put down a breakfast plate in the center of the table and it's pretty standard fare. You get a lot more breakfast and better quality at Crystal Palace. The breakfast lasagna is heavenly! Sweet and heavy …but heavenly.

Two very different character experiences. Meeting pooh and his pals is a lot of fun. There are more princesses to meet in Norway than there are Pooh characters. Plus, the princesses speak. That adds another layer.

Two fun choices, but very different.

carriebeth

We really really liked the breakfast selections at Crystal Palace. Lots of choices. Lots of really good food. Some unique items we haven't seen elsewhere too. You are guaranteed to get full...really really full...and won't be able to decide what to eat first. When we did breakfast here the characters were so super fun and the interactions were wonderful. That was 2 Falls ago. This past Fall we tried dinner there and didnt' really care for it and the character interaction was really poor and so so slow. Since it was so great the previous time, I am guessing and hoping we just hit a bad night last time.

The food at Akershus was pretty good. But like others said, the main selection is no choice. My husband felt they were too slow and didn't refill our platter enough too. Mainly at this location is all about being able to meet a bunch of princesses! The downside of it here was, at least where we were seated last time, we were sort of packed in and there wasn't any room or a good spot for the children to get up and meet with the princesses.

Ricky Spanish

We've eaten at both.
Akershus was 12 years ago for our daughter's Make-a-wish trip.
Crystal Palace this past spring break.
I prefer Crystal Palace because there wasn't a restaurant full of lil' princesses.
As far as the food, basically the standard breakfast foods but CP has that funky "breakfast lasagna" thing.
I was a little hesitant to try it, but it was actually pretty good.
And they got Tigger, too!

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I'm going to throw this out there but if you're considering Akerhus, that means you're going to be in EPCOT. If you're going to be in EPCOT, in my opinion the best all you can eat character breakfast in the parks is Garden Grill. It's standard American breakfast fare, served family style, and it's delicious. I'd give it a go.

LRnascarfan

Original Poster
We are doing Garden Grill for lunch one day. The day we are going to Epcot we are doing bfast at 'Ohanas before we go into the park.

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
Between Akershus and CP it is CP hands down. If you truly want a character meal it is the best choice. That being said, if it's not all about the characters, Whispering Canyon can really be a fun experience if you enjoy their style of entertainment. The food is also all you can eat and good old comfort food.

Figgy1

Between Akershus and CP it is CP hands down. If you truly want a character meal it is the best choice. That being said, if it's not all about the characters, Whispering Canyon can really be a fun experience if you enjoy their style of entertainment. The food is also all you can eat and good old comfort food.
^^^^^This and then some. We did an 8am ADR on a 9am park opening and had a wonderful meal, fun, met everybody and done in time to be at the front of rope drop:)

jpinkc

Crystal Palace is better for our family at breakfast, but its not as good as our last trip to Whispering Canyon. IMHO. Akershus do the Princess meet and greet lunch there that was wonderful. But check the menu as its Norwegian but it was delicious!!

EvilQueen-T

Crystal Palace would be at the bottom of the list for us. We've enjoyed breakfast at Askerus. Don't worry about thinking it's just too foreign...it's disney so there's a few items that are unique otherwise it's a standard American breakfast. We also love Whispering Canyon. It's not traditional characters but the wait staff are a lot of fun in a old movie western comedy type of way but we've also had our waiter dress up as a bottle of ketchup lol. We really like both Askerus and Whispering Canyon so either would equally have my vote. At Whispering Canyon we love getting the skillet for breakfast ...and for dinner lol.

My very hungover sister asked them to keep the water coming so they brought the huge mason jar of water and a fast pass to the nearest outhouse.
14494772_1252158634829572_8406025553050265046_n.jpg

14463139_1252162464829189_8587705130685990611_n.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom