Best Boating

November Girl

What's the best place to rent a boat in WDW, and once in the boat, what are the must-sees while out on the water? Are there any hidden or secret areas? Can you see the old Ft. Wilderness water park that's shut down now? Parks in ruin are always so interesting! Can you stop off on any little islands, or will you get eaten by an alligator and have to wear a hook? Also, can you see everything by boat in under an hour rental? A boating afternoon is already in our plans, we just want to maximize the experience!

Eyekimore

Our choice is Bay Lake by the MK area. We love to boat over by the "sneaker tree" near River Country. We also love to "cross over the road" and be in the midst of the fun by the MK. It's also fun to watch the people para-sailing and tubing. Our favorite hotel to leave from is WL. It's easy to get in/out of. My DH even let me drive and park. If I can do it- anyone can!

Upvote 0

Eyekimore

BTW- I just re-read your original post. They don't allow you to stop and explore anywhere. If you only rent for 1/2 hour- you might have to stay on one side. If you rent for 1 hour- you can easily explore both the area by Con-WL-FW and GF-Poly-MK.

Upvote 0

smk

You do wear a hook so if you become disconnected the boat motor will shut off. The area is heavily patrolled and you have to take care to stay away from the launches going to the MK and to the hotels/resorts. That being said, I am not a water person and I was afraid to drive one of those boats. I did, but I stayed over on the side of the lake (we left from FW) and well out of everyones way. My DH and kids were all over the lake, speeding around and having a blast and I basically cowered in the corner of the lake going in circles. I would not do it again, for me it is a waste of good money. I think we have looked into the boats and rented from the Contemporary and FW and I think it was cheaper to rent from FW but only by a few bucks....or maybe they were just so lenient (sp?) that they didn't keep good track of the time we rented or came back. Either way, If you rent and like boats you will have fun!

Upvote 0

Rob562

As a side note, if you are staying at a Disney resort under a package reservation, one of the "extras" you get with the package is a coupon that gives you an extra 30 minutes when you buy 60 minutes (so 90 minutes total) on a Sea Raycer rental, good for up to 5 people.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
We rented from the Polynesian and road around Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon, got pictures of all the resorts and the Magic Kingdom, and then went back.

As someone else said, the waters are really patrolled and they are strict. My husband let my son put his hands on the steering wheel with him and they "pulled us over" to tell us that wasn't allowed. :lol:

Upvote 0

KingStefan

Anyone remember how much it cost to rent the little speedboats???

For 30 minutes:

Water mice: $22
Canopy boats: $26.50
Pontoons: $35
Sailboats: $20-25 depending on the boat

Not all boats available at all places. Some resorts also have pedal boats.

EDIT: Oops, these prices are really old - see below.

Upvote 0

KingStefan

For 30 minutes:

Water mice: $22
Canopy boats: $26.50
Pontoons: $35
Sailboats: $20-25 depending on the boat

Not all boats available at all places. Some resorts also have pedal boats.

Actually, I just realized that this list is about 6 years old, so it's probably considerably more expensive now. I'll try to do some research and get updated numbers

I've been there many times and never seen sailboats for rent. Where would I find those?

They use to be over at the Contemporary (only), but I don't know if they have them still (see above note).

Thanks! That seems super cheap...

Yes, those are super cheap :lol: sorry about the mix up. I'll update soon.

Upvote 0

KingStefan

Yes - here is an update:

According to Disney Recreation Reservations.

Average price for Sea Raycer (varies by location, I think):
30 min - $31.95
60 min - $47.93

Boston Whaler:
30 min - 47.93

Yeah, that sounds more like it. Those other prices are way old. I knew they sounded too good to be true. Sorry about that.

According to the disneyworld site, they also have kayaks, pontoon boats, sailboats, canoes, and pedal boats, but I don't know the details about the prices and which locations.

Upvote 0

wpxc

All boat rental prices across property are exactly the same. Stefan has the most updated prices.

I would highly recommend renting your boats anywhere in the Bay Lake/Seven Seas area as the boats are fastest and you have the most area to explore. Depending on the weather they have shut down the water bridge between the two lakes. Bay Lake includes FW, WL, and the Contemporary and will allow you to see River Country (sort of), Discovery Island, and lots and lots of uninhabited shoreline. Seven Seas is GF and the Poly and allows you see MK, the TTC, and all of the ferries that go back and forth between. You can rent from any marina, but must return your boat to that specific marina.

You're probably already aware but they also rent boats at all the other resorts with the exception of the values and AKL.

Here are the most up to date prices before tax:
Sea Raycer $30 per 30 min OR $45 per 60 min
Canopy Boat $45 per 30 min
Pontoon $45 per 30 min
Pedal Boat $6.50 per 30 min (only at certain resorts)
Sailboat $20 per 60 min (only at certain resorts)

There are several other types of boats that are available at various locations, but those are the ones I know. I believe they also rent a few Hobie Cats from the Grand/Poly and Canoes/Kayaks from some of the other resorts.

Any other questions just ask!

Upvote 0

Eyekimore

You can't see all that much of River Country. Never having been there while it was open- its hard to describe what you can see. You can see an overgrown relatively open area and some walkways that led you there.

We always take out the pontoon boats. We try not to get too close as my DH has gotten grounded. (yep- he and MIL ran out of gas and floated right into Fulton's steamboat area.) He's still embarrassed!

Upvote 0

raven

Rent them at one of the MK resorts for the best areas to see. :wave:
WDWspring2008501.jpg

Upvote 0

November Girl

Original Poster
That is all great info...so thank you to everyone. It will either be the 2 person speedboats, or a larger boat that can fit our fmaily of 3. Can't wait! And if I can get good shots I'll do photos of the views around the lake and post them.

Upvote 0

KingStefan

Thanks for the updated prices KS! The wives are going to the spa, the husbands are renting the sprites!!!

That is all great info...so thank you to everyone. It will either be the 2 person speedboats, or a larger boat that can fit our fmaily of 3. Can't wait! And if I can get good shots I'll do photos of the views around the lake and post them.

Have a magical time on the water!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom