Becoming a Cast Member...

Grim Grinner

Original Poster
I was wondering if a few of you could shed some light on how it was working for Disney, and how you became a CM. Did you have any choice in yuor particular role?

Is there an age limit?

The pay, if any has to suck- but can you divulge ballpark figures?
Is it possible to get higher pay?

What restrictions to the park do you recieve? IE Cannot go into the parks on days off... that sorta thing.

I'm wondering, because I'll be 28 tomorrow (yeah, Valentine's Day is my birthday, go ahead 'n laugh...) so I'm getting up there in years.

I was thinking of moving down to Florida so I could be closer to the parks, and I have some friends down there already. I was wanting an interesting way to earn some basic income while I work on my books, and would love to spend my days in a place of beauty.

BTW- Does is ruin the magic a little?

cm1988

Originally posted by Grim Grinner
...how you became a CM...
Unless you happen to be in Orlando, your best, most current information on available openings is through a phone call to the JobLine --- (407) 828-1000 (Monday - Friday between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.) When you're in town, stop by the Casting Center at Lake Buena Vista --- opposite the Downtown Disney Marketplace.
Did you have any choice in your particular role?
Normally, there's a variety of roles being cast. It's a good idea to know what you want before you come in for an interview.
Is there an age limit?... I'm wondering, because I'll be 28 tomorrow...
Happy Birthday, and no, you are not too old! WDW has a solid diversity program and EEO policies. Give me a break; 28 is NOT old.
...can you divulge ballpark (wage) figures?... Is it possible to get higher pay?
Probably best to ask the folks at the JobLine/Casting Center. It is not a secret... I just don't have the current information.
What restrictions to the park do you recieve? IE Cannot go into the parks on days off...
Your Cast Member ID admits you to the Theme Parks 365 days a year... although in some years when extraordinarily high attendance was forecast on New Years' Eve or July 4th, they discouraged use of that privilege. There are many other benefits... again, please do check with Casting on that.
BTW- Does it ruin the magic a little? That's up to you! Do you believe that it is better to give than to receive? When you're onstage, the magic is you.
Good luck, if you decide to give it a try. In the meantime, you may want to read my further ramblings about WDW casting in previous postings such as this one and this one and this one

TURKEY

There are definite blackout dates... not suggested dates not to enter the park.

I know the 4th of July is for all parks, New Year's Eve is for all parks, and the week between Christmas and New Years is for MK.

CM usually get free wheelchairs and cart rentals. During blackout dates and a few other dates where crowds are large but no blackout, rentals are no longer complimentary.

Blackout dates are only for bringing in family and friends using a silver pass or other "privilege" passes. As a cast member your ID gets you in to the four major theme parks 365 days/year. As a full-timer you get the privilege of taking a limited number of other people with you for free, but blackout dates apply. We go every year, including this past holiday season, just after Christmas for about a week (it's our anniversary and my in-laws live there so we celebrate Christmas with them while we're there, as well) and we've gone for July 4th too, as it's my birthday. My husband has always used his ID to get in, even on these holidays.

TURKEY

Originally posted by Married@WDW
Blackout dates are only for bringing in family and friends using a silver pass or other "privilege" passes. As a cast member your ID gets you in to the four major theme parks 365 days/year. As a full-timer you get the privilege of taking a limited number of other people with you for free, but blackout dates apply. We go every year, including this past holiday season, just after Christmas for about a week (it's our anniversary and my in-laws live there so we celebrate Christmas with them while we're there, as well) and we've gone for July 4th too, as it's my birthday. My husband has always used his ID to get in, even on these holidays.

No it isn't. NO CAST MEMBER can get in on New Year's Eve and July 4th. At MK, no one can get in during Christmas to New Year's.

I don't want to start an argument here, but I know I'm right. My husband got into MK both this year and last year on New Year's Eve with his company ID. My sister-in-law uses hers every year to go on Christmas Day. She cannot take her boyfriend though -- he has to use a pass. It's the privilege passes that have blackout dates but your company ID is separate from a privilege pass and is not included in the dates.

On the pass issue -- the company also gives two one-day complimentary park hoppers every six months to most employees.

cm1988

...got into MK both this year and last year on New Year's Eve with his company ID... sister-in-law... on Christmas Day...
Borrowing a somewhat tired diplomatic tactic, I'd say you're both right. Some years, NYE and July 4th Cast admissions are discouraged through E&E articles... other years, not. Once I can recall c.m. were asked not to use comp tickets either. (must have been Y2K).

For me, its a moot point. Yeah, the fireworks are great on those two days, but I'd just as soon catch Illuminations... and the Tapestry of Dreams... on one of the other 363 days. Thinking about it now; maybe this weekend.

Invero

I had a question about the whole blackout dates on ID's, Maingates, and Comp Tickets. This is the answer that both Guest Relations AND Turnstiles told me:

Maingate passes DO have blackout dates. They are listed on your Maingate holder.

Company IDs do NOT have blackout dates. Why? Because when you think about it... CM's could circumvent the turnstiles, park in Cast parking, and enter the park from backstage, thus causing the park to have more people than it may safely hold. By allowing them to enter through the turnstiles, they get more accurate attendance figures, and know when the park is truely full to capacity.

Complimentary Tickets also do not have blackout dates. They are one day, park hopper tickets, that are just as valid as the tickets you paid good money for.

Now... HOWEVER... I will add... on holidays... if the park gets to be crowded, they will go through a set of "Phases" First, only people who have bought tickets for the day will be let in... then, only Disney Resort guests will be let in. And finally, when the park reaches FULL capacity... they will close down the turnstiles, and NO ONE will be let in. Even if you have a handstamp.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I was wondering if a few of you could shed some light on how it was working for Disney, and how you became a CM. Did you have any choice in yuor particular role?

Is there an age limit?

NO.. 28 is upper average age

The pay, if any has to suck- but can you divulge ballpark figures?
Is it possible to get higher pay?

The pay sucks! most CM's have either a second job or other source of income. The only way to get raises are through seniority and through promotions within the company. Promotions are not offered individually, but are posted as an available position that eligible CM's can apply for

What restrictions to the park do you recieve? IE Cannot go into the parks on days off... that sorta thing.

you can go any day that you're off, but don't do that too often or people might think you're a bit weird

BTW- Does is ruin the magic a little?

what magic? :D the magic I felt before is long gone, but it's a different type of magic I feel now+

I must agree -- the magic is different but it's still really special and unique. I was only a Disney Store cast member, so I can't comment on the parks, but, being from the Northeast, I also got to perform in the Hrecules Electric Parade in Manhattan. The parade was hard work with lots of rehearsals, costume fittings, etc. and for those people that do it every day, more power to ya!, but the "Disney magic" I felt that night was so much cooler than what I feel when I'm in the parks. You really are a part of it. It's amazing!

2much2do

being from the Northeast, I also got to perform in the Hrecules Electric Parade in Manhattan.
Hey, I was in the Hercules Electrical Parade!!!!!! What Disney Store did you work at???? I was at 5th Ave. Do you still live in the city??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom