Backpacks on rides

bamillerpa

Original Poster
I like to take my dslr to the parks with me and found that the best way for me to carry this around is in a small padded backpack. This allows me to also stow a jacket, sunscreen, tickets, and my cell phone. I would guess that my backpack is no more than 18 inches tall and is just a normal everyday backpack that you would see kids lugging around campus. Are there any rides that they won't allow me to take the backpack on? I've carried a small dslr camera case before with no problems but the backpack is bigger. It's been waterproofed so water on rides is no problem either. Thanks in advance for the help!

rsoxguy

I have carried a backpack on every Disney ride. Some are less convenient than others, but they all accommodate a backpack if it is properly placed or protected from water.

luv

They let you take bags on all the rides. Some rides make this easier than others, but you can take it. :)

I_heart_Tigger

My backpack holds my DSLR as well as my laptop, can hold 5 lenses and accessories (filters, batteries, cleaning kit, manuals) including a small tripod...in other words it's a good sized back pack.

I have taken it on every Disney ride. Some rides have little "nets" that you are supposed to put your bags in and it usually doesn't fit in those but I just place it on the floor with my leg through one (or both) of the straps so it doesn't move around. If it's not huge and you are on a ride that doesn't have a shoulder harness - ToT for example - you can just wear it on your chest rather than on your back (Just don't let it bash you in the face on the drops - smaller backpack is easier for that)

I have to say it's much easier at Disney than Universal. Firstly Universal is not very camera friendly anyway and secondly there are a fair number of rides there that you have to get a locker for all carry ons not just large bags. After having to wrestle for a locker at Harry Potter both before and to get back to it after the ride I would never do the ride again if I had a bag with me.

bamillerpa

Original Poster
I kind of thought I would be ok but didn't want to try and end up having problems all day while at the park. Thanks for the answers. I'm going to order my new backpack today:sohappy:

Annielkd

If it doesn't fit under the seat at Soaring you will need to put it to the side. That's the only ride you might have a problem with.

PhilharMagician

If it doesn't fit under the seat at Soaring you will need to put it to the side. That's the only ride you might have a problem with.

Don't forget MS. The bin in the capsule is kind of small if you carry a large overstuffed backpack. I have always been able to get our backpack in (with some finess) which typically has my SLR, Video camera, poncho's and a half dozen bottles of water. For some people the CM has takent he bag and put it in the center of the room.

The Empress Lilly

After having to wrestle for a locker at Harry Potter both before and to get back to it after the ride I would never do the ride again if I had a bag with me.
Seriously, which muppet designed those locker cellars at Potter? I had more space and physical privacy when I trekked the Yucatan jungle in Mexico, slipped and fell in this tight crevasse with a million snakes slithering all over me.

Well, okay, there were no snakes. Well techically, it wasn't a crevasse either. Okay, so it wasn't in Mexico on account of me never actually having been there at all, but the country definately exists and I'm sure they have snakes there which was the whole point so stop questioning me okay?

I_heart_Tigger

Seriously, which muppet designed those locker cellars at Potter? I had more space and physical privacy when I trekked the Yucatan jungle in Mexico, slipped and fell in this tight crevasse with a million snakes slithering all over me.

Well, okay, there were no snakes. Well techically, it wasn't a crevasse either. Okay, so it wasn't in Mexico on account of me never actually having been there at all, but the country definately exists and I'm sure they have snakes there which was the whole point so stop questioning me okay?

:ROFLOL: At least you know exactly where I was coming from. What a terrible system. My friend actually had to crawl on her hands and knees to get next to our locker while I reached over someone's head to do my finger scan to open it. And god help you if it accidentally closes before you get your stuff out!

disney magic 06

:ROFLOL: At least you know exactly where I was coming from. What a terrible system. My friend actually had to crawl on her hands and knees to get next to our locker while I reached over someone's head to do my finger scan to open it. And god help you if it accidentally closes before you get your stuff out!

Or if you forget your locker number!

The Disney rides are much less intense than the Universal ones which is probably why bags can be taken on all the rides but it was time consuming and slightly annoying having to use a locker every time.

bamillerpa

Original Poster
It sounds like I won't have any trouble. I know with my old camera case I left it on the floor during Soarin. My backpack isn't much bigger that that so I'm going to figure that I'll be ok with it. It just works so much better than a camera bag since I can put everything in it.

Thanks Everyone!:wave:

scpergj

I carry my dSLR in a mid-sized Tamrac backpack - it even fits under the seats on Soarin'! It pretty much goes everywhere with me - been on most rides at Disney with it (for the record, I can't do TOT or RnRC) with no issues.

grunter

Y'know, I don't think I've ever seen anyone at a Disney park carrying a backpack onto a dark ride.

Please, whatever you do, take many multiple flash pictures of such a person as soon as the ride leaves the launch bay and begins the "dark" portion of the "dark ride."

:kiss:

fosse76

My backpack holds my DSLR as well as my laptop, can hold 5 lenses and accessories (filters, batteries, cleaning kit, manuals) including a small tripod...in other words it's a good sized back pack.

I have taken it on every Disney ride. Some rides have little "nets" that you are supposed to put your bags in and it usually doesn't fit in those but I just place it on the floor with my leg through one (or both) of the straps so it doesn't move around. If it's not huge and you are on a ride that doesn't have a shoulder harness - ToT for example - you can just wear it on your chest rather than on your back (Just don't let it bash you in the face on the drops - smaller backpack is easier for that)

I have to say it's much easier at Disney than Universal. Firstly Universal is not very camera friendly anyway and secondly there are a fair number of rides there that you have to get a locker for all carry ons not just large bags. After having to wrestle for a locker at Harry Potter both before and to get back to it after the ride I would never do the ride again if I had a bag with me.

You have to remember though that universal has a number of intense rides that are extremely close (and in some cases, over) the parks' walkways. Any loose item falling off these rides can injure someone. Disney's attractions are generally removed from the paths and loose objects, though still a danger to others on the attraction, don't pose a danger to passersby.

I_heart_Tigger

You have to remember though that universal has a number of intense rides that are extremely close (and in some cases, over) the parks' walkways. Any loose item falling off these rides can injure someone. Disney's attractions are generally removed from the paths and loose objects, though still a danger to others on the attraction, don't pose a danger to passersby.

Oh, I understand why Universal has lockers for some of their attractions. I was just pointing out the differences. Also, I mentioned that they aren't as camera friendly not really due to not being allowed to take you camera on the thrill rides but just not being allowed to take any photos (not just flash) on most rides - all the way from The Mummy to the Cat in the Hat.

PhilharMagician

Yeah, but MIB? Shouldn't be any problem there but no bags allowed.

RnRC you can take your backpack on with you, but RotM you cannot.

Universal rides are very restrictive in what you take on with you and even more so on your personal size.

Greenheart22

Don't forget MS. The bin in the capsule is kind of small if you carry a large overstuffed backpack. I have always been able to get our backpack in (with some finess) which typically has my SLR, Video camera, poncho's and a half dozen bottles of water. For some people the CM has takent he bag and put it in the center of the room.
You will be asked to place your backpack under your feet if it is too large for the bin on Mission Space. Nothing can be inside the flight bay when the mission is launched. If it very, very large they will take the bag to reentry; the area just outside.
Greenheart22

PhilharMagician

You will be asked to place your backpack under your feet if it is too large for the bin on Mission Space. Nothing can be inside the flight bay when the mission is launched. If it very, very large they will take the bag to reentry; the area just outside.
Greenheart22

On green I have seen CM's place bags by the center of the centrifuge.

I_heart_Tigger

So someone should have taken my rather large backpack from me while on MS? That didn't happen. We were on the green version though so maybe that's the case. When I realized I had no room for it in the bin I just placed it on the empty seat since there were 3 of us.

Nothing happened to it but for next time...is that a no-no? Just concerned about my gear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom