Australian Disneyland

DisFanMark

The population does an awesome job of supporting Dreamworld, Sea World, Warner Brothers Movie World and others; all in the same area where the original project was scheduled to be built; which is itself a huge tourist area (like Central Florida and Southern California).

Twilight_Roxas

The population does an awesome job of supporting Dreamworld, Sea World, Warner Brothers Movie World and others; all in the same area where the original project was scheduled to be built; which is itself a huge tourist area (like Central Florida and Southern California).
I wouldn't count on Dreamworld since there declining in popularity due to the incident.

DonaldDoleWhip

So I've spent the last 3 weeks crashing in Kingscliff, NSW, very close to Gold Coast; a Disneyland here could absolutely kill it. I mean that in the best sense.

The weather's great year-round, the region already supports lesser amusement parks, and the metro area has been getting denser as Queenslanders shift toward Brisbane and the coast. Aussies are used to long road trips and flights, so heading to Gold Coast (which has its own local airport with international service) would be a breeze. For longer-haul journeys, Brisbane Airport isn't that far away. Finally, Aussies already seem to love Disney and are down to visit HKDL and Anaheim.

To me, this makes so much more sense than Paris, Hong Kong, or Shanghai (aside from having a token presence in Europe/Mainland China), and I hope it comes to fruition one day. Would be a great reason to return to this corner of the world!

Robbiem

Original Poster
Came across this very interesting video recently, definitely worth a watch. :)

Really interesting- great find. It sounds like the Sydney project was another iteration of the regional entertainment centre concpt disney have been kicking around for years. I wonder why they never proceeded. This and the similar Fukuoka plans are interesting what ifs

Sir_Cliff

Really interesting- great find. It sounds like the Sydney project was another iteration of the regional entertainment centre concpt disney have been kicking around for years. I wonder why they never proceeded. This and the similar Fukuoka plans are interesting what ifs
To me, this seems like a project that could have worked really well. Considering the trend toward high-rise apartments all over central Sydney and Melbourne, this development actually seems like it would have been a breath of fresh air in its combination of amenities and experiences. Residential development, meanwhile, could have generated big returns considering how property prices have been going up and up in Australia. I'm not so sure about the inclusion of theme park attractions, to be honest. I honestly think interest in them would die out pretty quickly outside of peak times.

Growing up in Australia, the idea of a local Disney theme park was always very appealing but I think the population is just too small and it's too far away from anywhere to attract enough visitors. My sense is that it would have turned out similar to HKDL, being built too small and struggling to attract enough guests. Disney Wharf, though, sounds like it could have worked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom