August and Hurricanes

Familyfun

Going for our first visit in Aug.. I know there will be a hurricane threat...
Anyone ever been there during one? We are staying at the POR. Just wondering how fast the partks reopen. and how the cast members handle all those guest...

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I worked at Disney in 2004 during Charley and one other that I can't remember the name of. Disney has their "hurricane plan" down pat. They close the parks (if one gets close enough) but send the characters to the resorts to keep the guests entertained. It's not all that bad if you don't mind a lot of wind/rain.

Upvote 0

Tigerdaly

Hi, My family and myself were there in 04 and had Hurricane Francis go staight over our villa.
We were the last plane into MCO and we were told to stock up on food and water and to stay in. The following day Saturday, we were issued with a mandatory house curfew untill the storm passed. The storm staggered its way onto land and passed over in the early hours of Sunday morning. Myself and the family were asleep and blissfully unaware. (Never seen rain like it tho throughout Saturday the pool overflowed in about 1 hour, It had previously had a 8" lip.). We were still curfewed untill the Monday morning first light.
The first park to open for business was Epcot, they had finished there safety checks over the sunday/monday night and it was all go for 12:00 noon for funsters. We got there at 13:00 and there was about 40 cars in the parking area.......................:lol:
The whole holiday was absolutely magic because nobody dared to venture to Florida during this couple of weeks of mayhem. The rides were totally empty. I know it was Universal but I completed 10 complete runs of the Incredible hulk coaster without anybody getting off......................
Throughout the Disney parks it felt as tho they were starting the ride up for you to have a go.
Other than the obvious worry about loosing the roof etc it was a great holiday and absolutely fantastic to see mother nature rent her fury.
Roll on July..................................:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Helenr

We were in Orlando last year when 'Wilma' hit.

I don't think Orlando was that badly affected (think she stayed a fit further south), Epcot opened at 12.30 (I think the other parks did around the same time) and stayed open until Midnight (well after scheduled hours!).

Heck, even the Beach Boys played as scheduled!!! lol

We were on the 27th floor of a hotel and it didn't seem too bad - just like a real winter storm we get in the UK - only not as cold!

The good thing is there are loads of people around who will help you out if the going gets tough!

Upvote 0

MansionFan415

Disney has it's methods of keeping the guests entertained AND safe during hurricanes, so if you have the threat of one, or even have one on it's way, I wouldn't worry too much.

Well, within reason of course. I'm from New Orleans, so I know what it's like to have to deal with them but let's just pray this season doesn't produce tragedies like last season.

Just go and enjoy your trip as planned, you never know what the season will bring and when, so just keep an eye out.

Upvote 0

col

me and my family where there when hurricaine francis came from august to september 2004 -to us it was not big deal it was just like a winters day in the uk, but it was soemthing i will never forget even though we never stayed at a disney resort we stayed at cypress pointe in lake buena vista next door to the DTD entrance and they looked after us giving us updates everytime the hurricaine progressed and what direction it was heading we also go extra bedding, toiletries and stuff.

disney is one of the safest places to be during a hurricaine coz they move people to the convention centres and put on shows with CM's.

i wouldnt worry about it, just enjoy your holiday and have fun!!!:)

disney will keep you updated one thing: we went to MK when the shutdown had been lifted and it was empty we didnt have to wait for any rides.:D

Upvote 0

timkelmom

Disney is very prepared for hurricanes. We were in FW in Sept. '04. They closed the campground and had a mandatory evacuation. They offered to put us in a value resort at no additional cost for the remainder of our stay. We opted to leave FL because of our RV, but we were fully refunded for the amount of days we could not use and given some meal vouchers for our inconvenience. I think in a resort you would be fine. The hurricanes that have hit the area in recent years have not produced too much damage for the Orlando area. It seems coastal areas get the worst of it. Besides, maybe a "hurricane party" could be fun.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom