August 2008 - How Bad?

adamcav

I am going to WDW next year August 16-23 2008. Unfortunately these are the only dates the whole group can go.

The past 3 times we have gone have been, September '06, October '05 and early November '04. Crowd levels were very manageable and things were great.

The people I am going with are VERY concerned about the dates this year (2008) in terms of crowd level. Realistically what should I tell them? I don't want to promise too much.

Anyone have August advice?

shoppingnut

I've been in August a few times and while it is very hot, I have found that the crowd levels aren't too bad, certainly no where near the levels of Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break and Easter.

I would also highly recommend you using Kingdom Konsultants to book your trip because if a special deal comes out that you are eligible for, they will rebook you to save you money. KK's also doesn't charge any fees. Other travel agents do not do that and do charge fees.

Upvote 0

hadlicksr

We went the same weekend last year. The crowds were not that bad. (The heat was though.)Florida kids and I guess a lot of kids in the south start school that week. That is typically the first week Disney offers the free dining. Not so sure that will be the case this year or not.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Go with KK. Pam took care of our super disfunctional Girl Scout troop for our August 2007trip and we had a blast. We were a group of 36. She was able to get all of our dining requests including Cinderellas Castle, Chef Mickeys, LeCellier and others. Crowds were not bad. Make sure everyone knows how to use Fastpass and be prepared to split up, take breaks and meet for meals or a swim you will be fine. We all wore St. Louis Cardinals tshirts one day, that was fun and made for some great photo op's. Good luck and have fun!

Upvote 0

coltow

I'm going around then too. We wanted other family members (1st timers) to be able to go with us. My neice will be 16 and cannot miss school. We had done some investigating and opted to go mid-August as opposed to Thanksgiving or Christmas breaks. We will be totally prepared for the worst. We know how HOT and HUMID it will be (my trip in 2006 was in July). We will also be prepared for crowds similiar to July, but we hope it won't be as crowded.

We have also already began to decide on some dining places even though we can't make any ADR's until Valentine's Day. Trying to get people to pick 1 place to eat is tough. We told the adults to pick a place and my sister and I will try to make sure we get them all in. Luckily there were a couple of doubles so we ought to be able to do it.

Upvote 0

adamcav

Original Poster
Fortunately my mom, who is going with us, is a travel agent so our room rate is about 50% off. Everyone in our group has been to WDW many times just normally in the off season (Sept & Oct). They are used to light crowds.

We are not worried about the heat. Planning to drink lots of water, misting fans, the works. And we are prepared for the afternoon rain bursts, micro umbrellas and ponchos.

They are mostly concerned with crowd levels because that's the one thing we really haven't experienced before.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Crowd levels are quite manageable - its just what you're used to. We've previously been at Easter so crowds over August 1st - 22nd last year by comparison were light. If you're used to light crowds you will find it busier.

Make use of early morning at the parks (don't expect to walk onto anything without waiting in line after 10am) and Fast Pass while there.

Upvote 0

stormer

We were there this year from Aug 24 to Sept 2. The crowds were not bad at all. We arrived at the parks as they opened in the morning and found them to be more than managable. Until about 1 PM the lines were very short. It started to pick up around 1. We found the evening Extra Magic Hours to be extremely crowded, especially in Epcot. The weather was was sooo hot and humid. Overall it was a good time to go, especially if you have to work around school schedules!

Upvote 0

mrerk

Premium Member
I think you will be OK.

The last 2 weeks of August are drastically different from the first 2 weeks. The heat will still be brutal.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom