Attendance comparison

Homer fan

Original Poster
With SWGE coming to DHS this year, is it possible that it will exceed attendance at MK in 2020? And when I say possible, I mean it has less capacity (right?), so is it even mathematically possible?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
With SWGE coming to DHS this year, is it possible that it will exceed attendance at MK in 2020? And when I say possible, I mean it has less capacity (right?), so is it even mathematically possible?

Capacity doesn't directly impact attendance, since people can leave the park early and other come in later. DHS numbers will definitely go up but I am not sure if it will surpass MK, since additional guests coming to see GE will also drive up attendance at MK.

Homer fan

Original Poster
Capacity doesn't directly impact attendance, since people can leave the park early and other come in later. DHS numbers will definitely go up but I am not sure if it will surpass MK, since additional guests coming to see GE will also drive up attendance at MK.
Thanks....let's assume DHS fills to capacity each day and everyone stays all day, is it even possible to surpass MK?

Disstevefan1

According to a Google search, DHS has a estimated capacity of 75,000 guests. so it is possible.
Also, according to a Google search, The magic kingdom has a estimated capacity of 100,000 !!!!
EPCOT, approximately 95,000 guests (less than MK)
Animal Kingdom approximately 60,000 guests

I got the numbers here:

Homer fan

Original Poster
According to a Google search, DHS has a estimated capacity of 75,000 guests. so it is possible.
Also, according to a Google search, The magic kingdom has a estimated capacity of 100,000 !!!!

I got the numbers here:
How can MK have the largest capacity, yet be far smaller than Epcot and AK?

Chef Mickey

I got the numbers here:
Yeah, those are wrong. Quora is almost worthless.

SirWillow

those numbers are very much off. I worked at Epcot one New Years Eve when we were approaching 110,000 people in the park and they were still letting people in. It is easily the park with the largest capacity.

The numbers have changed some since I worked there, but the only one that might be close is DHS.

disneyworlddad

One thing that I think people need to remember is park capacity and ride capacity/attraction involvement are two different things. 100k at Epcot is probably going to feel a lot busier at Epcot than 100k at MK if you are looking at wait times. Park capacity/room capacity has a lot more to do with space/fire codes/safety measures than ride capacity.

SirWillow

One thing that I think people need to remember is park capacity and ride capacity/attraction involvement are two different things. 100k at Epcot is probably going to feel a lot busier at Epcot than 100k at MK if you are looking at wait times. Park capacity/room capacity has a lot more to do with space/fire codes/safety measures than ride capacity.

Actually quite the opposite. 75k at MK is going to feel much more crowded and with longer lines than 100k at Epcot simply because there is a lot more room to move around and a lot more "facilities," places to eat, and things to do/ see at Epcot. I can handle (and have handled) 90-100k at Epcot, but I don't want to be anywhere near MK with 75k.

lentesta

Premium Member
A Disney document in the Buzz Price Archives at UCF indicates that somewhere between 46 and 60% of the people in a theme park are on an attraction, in its preshow, or in its line (see below) at any given time. It's an older document, but it's pretty close to the numbers Disney has told us more recently, and that we were able to verify by counting.

Excluding character greetings and parades, I think the most optimistic Studios' ride and theater show hourly capacity is something like 14,000 to 15,000 people. With GE, and MMRR, it'd be 20K-ish, assuming multiple shows per hour, and no ride breakdowns.

So assuming a 1-hour wait for everything (including Muppets, Indiana Jones, BATB, Disney Junior, FTFTIF, etc.), you'd get to 60K peak attendance in the park, based on Disney's calculations.

I think the average wait for all attractions across WDW right now is under 30. So assuming everyone is cool with a 1-hour wait for everything might be a stretch.

This is a quick calculation. I could be wrong.

Disstevefan1

All the the (wrong) information aside, to answer the OP's original question, I think DHS can hold enough people to exceed MK attendance numbers in my opinion.

Walt Disney1955

Let's just look at it in context here. Star Wars additions will be nice and will boost DHS' attendance but we are talking about it taking over the flagship park of, well, the world basically when you factor in attendance.

2017 attendance the Magic Kingdom had 20,450,000 while DHS had 10,722,000 and both Epcot and Animal Kingdom are over 12,000,000.

How is this even possible that it will surpass the Magic Kingdom? Not even Disneyland or Tokyo Disneyland have surpassed it in this century in any given year.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
those numbers are very much off. I worked at Epcot one New Years Eve when we were approaching 110,000 people in the park and they were still letting people in. It is easily the park with the largest capacity.

The numbers have changed some since I worked there, but the only one that might be close is DHS.

Even though DAK is the largest park in terms of acreage, I would expect its capacity to be smaller as much of the land is not available for humans to fill up. The Serengeti is around 110 acres of the park's 580 acres.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Let's just say it will be crowded....wall to wall like MK during Christmas week.

110,000 in Epcot. Wow.

SirWillow

Even though DAK is the largest park in terms of acreage, I would expect its capacity to be smaller as much of the land is not available for humans to fill up. The Serengeti is around 110 acres of the park's 580 acres.

At the time I worked there, DAK was a smaller capacity than DHS. But that was also before Pandora, Toy Story Land, and the upcoming Star Wars land, which will have impacted both parks in significant ways. DHS would have a larger capacity still, and especially after SWGE edge opens I'm sure, but I'm not privy to what the numbers are anymore. I am comfortable saying though that none of the 3 approach Epcots massive capacity. Even back then (8 years ago now) MK wasn't close.

Prog

There might be plenty of guests hitting up DHS and DHS only, but I think that at least half of the ones attracted by SWGE will also be hitting MK while they're down there. And, for that reason, I doubt DHS will surpass MK's attendance.

While I have no doubt SWGE will be a hit, from where I'm sitting, it seems the hype is much more subdued after Solo and TLJ. Not near the levels I would've anticipated in 2015/16.

Walt Disney1955

There might be plenty of guests hitting up DHS and DHS only, but I think that at least half of the ones attracted by SWGE will also be hitting MK while they're down there. And, for that reason, I doubt DHS will surpass MK's attendance.

While I have no doubt SWGE will be a hit, from where I'm sitting, it seems the hype is much more subdued after Solo and TLJ. Not near the levels I would've anticipated in 2015/16.

This, pretty much. People will come all the way from where they live solely to go to DHS and never venture the flagship park down the road? Doubt it. I don't know about the crowd levels at Disneyland when Star Tours first opened up in 1987 but this was the peak of Star Wars obsession. I can remember even at that time Star Wars lunch boxes. Those movies got a LOT of mileage. Now? Meh. As was mentioned, the recent movies just aren't the same. The ones that obsessed with going to see it likely don't have girlfriends or children either.......................(oh, I am just kidding, a little Star Wars joke)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom