At what time should I schedule my first FP?

mdcpr

Original Poster
FP day is on Saturday!!! I'm going to WDW the week of Thanksgiving=very crowded! Since I'm planning to arrive at rope drop, at what time should I schedule my first FP? Tks!

Simba’s Mom

Sometimes it's better to do FP+ a little later than opening. Last week, when MK opened at 8:00, virtually everything was a walk-on until at least 9:30 or so. Fortunately, I hadn't done any FP+s until 10:00, 11:00, 12:00. That way I could do walk-on attractions, and even get some of my shopping done, and eat my dole whip, earlier.

Wendy Pleakley

Sometimes it's better to do FP+ a little later than opening. Last week, when MK opened at 8:00, virtually everything was a walk-on until at least 9:30 or so. Fortunately, I hadn't done any FP+s until 10:00, 11:00, 12:00. That way I could do walk-on attractions, and even get some of my shopping done, and eat my dole whip, earlier.

I second this approach. MK has the more attractions than other parks, and you are more likely to be able to book a 4th, 5th, etc. Fastpass that is actually worthwhile. Rope drop a few attractions and then do your initial 3 FP in quick succession.

Schneewittchen

I'm a weirdo about MK these days, I want to try to get a dozen or more FPs if I'm going to do a commando day. And my initial 3 FPs are going to be the mountains - Space, Splash, Big Thunder.

If it's a morning extra magic day, I try to do as many rides between 8 am and 9:55 am as I can and then catch my first FP at the last possible minute. Do my second right away, walk on another random ride, swipe into the 3rd FP and get a 4th FP while standing in the fast pass line for FP3. From then on, I'll just grab FP after FP until I collapse from exhaustion.

At the other parks, when I use this method, I usually only seem to be able to get 4 or 5 FPs per day. Perhaps it's the annoying lack of attractions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
For me it depends on a number of factors like the park, park hours, and what FP's I'm getting.
I'll give a quick example...
-MK: 10:30-11:30am Space Mountain, 12-1pm 7DMT, 1-2pm Splash Mountain. After that I can usually easily get Thunder, Jungle Cruise, and Pirates one after the other.
-HS: RD TOT and RNRC, FP 9-10am TSMM, 11-12pm TOT. look for a FP at Epcot for later in the afternoon
-Epcot: if I go in the afternoon then I just check for whatever is available which I can usually get Soarin more than once and Living With The Land, Figment, Spaceship Earth etc.
Epcot if I go in the morning RD Test Track, 9-10am Frozen Ever After, 10-11am Spaceship Earth, 11-12pm Figment or Living With The Land. Then I can usually get Soarin shortly after.
AK: RD Dinosaur, FP 9-10am Expedition Everest, 10-11am Safari (I usually back it up after I ride EE). I don't do much in AK so then I'll look for a FP for another park.

I really only start my FP's a bit later at MK because there are so many attractions to do in the first couple of hours before the lines get too long.

mdcpr

Original Poster
For me it depends on a number of factors like the park, park hours, and what FP's I'm getting.
I'll give a quick example...
-MK: 10:30-11:30am Space Mountain, 12-1pm 7DMT, 1-2pm Splash Mountain. After that I can usually easily get Thunder, Jungle Cruise, and Pirates one after the other.
-HS: RD TOT and RNRC, FP 9-10am TSMM, 11-12pm TOT. look for a FP at Epcot for later in the afternoon
-Epcot: if I go in the afternoon then I just check for whatever is available which I can usually get Soarin more than once and Living With The Land, Figment, Spaceship Earth etc.
Epcot if I go in the morning RD Test Track, 9-10am Frozen Ever After, 10-11am Spaceship Earth, 11-12pm Figment or Living With The Land. Then I can usually get Soarin shortly after.
AK: RD Dinosaur, FP 9-10am Expedition Everest, 10-11am Safari (I usually back it up after I ride EE). I don't do much in AK so then I'll look for a FP for another park.

I really only start my FP's a bit later at MK because there are so many attractions to do in the first couple of hours before the lines get too long.
Is a 10-11 FP for Killimanjaro Safari a good time to see the animals? I keep hearing that the best time is first thing in the morning, i.e. 9 am.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Is a 10-11 FP for Killimanjaro Safari a good time to see the animals? I keep hearing that the best time is first thing in the morning, i.e. 9 am.

I had expressed to you that earlier is better.
If you happen to go during an AM EMH day then I'd head right over.
I don't do much at AK and like to leave as early as possible which for me means RDing Dinosaur, FP'ing EE, and FP'ing the Safari but trying to move my time back to prior to 10am.
When I have done the Safari prior to noon I have seen a decent amount of animals. Anything after that and I have seen nothing. I went in the evening a couple times and if the animals were out none of us saw them because it was too dark to notice them.

mdcpr

Original Poster
I had expressed to you that earlier is better.
If you happen to go during an AM EMH day then I'd head right over.
I don't much at AK and like to leave as early as possible which for me means RDing Dinosaur, FP'ing EE, and FP'ing the Safari but trying to move my time back to prior to 10am.
When I have done the Safari prior to noon I have seen a decent amount of animals. Anything after that and I have seen nothing. I went in the evening a couple times and if the animals were out none of us saw them because it was too dark to notice them.
Prior to noon--got it. I'm one of those people that don't well with 'early in the morning,' I need a specific time, that's how my brain is wired. Thank you for all your help.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

The safari varies by season when its the best time, but as a rule just when it opens is the best as they have just been released from the overnight pens and are out for breakfast. When its warm (like two weeks ago) the wide open space is wide, open and empty.... maybe a few Giraffes but even the Ankoli Cattle stick to the shade.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I think the order of fastpasses is more important than the timing of them. I like to figure out what my general route through the park for that day will be. For example, on arrival day we always swing right into tomorrowland, then clean our way through fantasyland, ending at the castle and finding some grub. So in this instance, Ariel's Grotto- 7DMT - Peter Pan is more beneficial than Peter Pan - Ariel's Grotto- 7DMT

I subscribe to the "earlier is better" mindset as well, but availability usually dictates timing for me. So with the above example, I'd try for 7DMT first, somewhere around the 10-10:30 range. Then schedule the others around it. Because that one is the hardest to get.

I have a young child though, so trekking across the park back and forth for rides is something I try to actively avoid

nickys

Premium Member
Also dont count on Safari being open for EMH it wasnt earlier this month when we were there.... its one they can choose to or not for EMH.

When it opens usually depends on how long it takes to feed and check the animals. They could decide specifically not to open during EMH. But it is much more likely that the welfare checks end up taking and delay the ride opening.

Sometimes there can be a delay even after park opening time. In that sense it is unpredictable.

Mainahman

When it opens usually depends on how long it takes to feed and check the animals. They could decide specifically not to open during EMH. But it is much more likely that the welfare checks end up taking and delay the ride opening.

Sometimes there can be a delay even after park opening time. In that sense it is unpredictable.
Its good to know that actually! I kind of thought that, as when we did get right on when the park " opened" most animals were still not out, and it was really a animal lacking time. Due to how short that trip was we didnt go back for a better one,. but that makes total sense now.

Thank you!

Touchdown

I shoot for 1-1.5 hours after opening. I start at SDMT, then do Pooh (if under 15 min,) frontier mts, Pirates, Peter Pan (FP 1,) SDMT (FP 2,) hit some smaller lines in Fantasyland (Mermaid, Philharmagic, Small World) while waiting for my next FP at Space Mt. If I can’t score a mountain within 2 hours I get HM as FP #4.

SAV

I schedule mine for as early as possible and then get my extra ones the rest of the day when lines are longer.

correcaminos

I schedule mine for 9 am. If a ride is a walk on I switch it out for something else. The other thing I do is as soon as I use a FP+ I see if I can move another earlier. MK is particularly great with this. I can manage to get 5 FP+ in usually there before lunch among other rides.

Slikke

We had a FP for Kili Safari at 11:30 and still saw plenty of activity with animals... And it was a super hot day as well..

PolynesianPrincess

I schedule mine for 9 am. If a ride is a walk on I switch it out for something else. The other thing I do is as soon as I use a FP+ I see if I can move another earlier. MK is particularly great with this. I can manage to get 5 FP+ in usually there before lunch among other rides.

This is exactly what I do. As soon as I scan my MB for the current FP, I try and move the next one up. If I've used the 3rd FP, then I start searching for the next FP as soon as I scan my MB. I'll continue to do that for each ride. Saturday afternoon I was riding solo before DME picked me up and I scored RNRC, Tower, RNRC, Tower in succession to end my trip. I refresh the app SO much to get the FPs I want. Sometimes it's time consuming but it's worth it. Even scored Flight of Passage FP midday last week that someone dropped.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom