Art of Animation questions

smk

I am planning a trip for this October/November. In the past we have stayed at All Star Sports but no longer wish to stay there, for various reasons, but mostly because our last trip there in October 2012 was just plain awful. So, I have been reading reviews on the AoA, Little Mermaid section (we have no need for a suite) and I want to pull the trigger and book but the reviews are just so so. A lot of people complaining about how long the walk is to the food court, buses running hours late on returning back the resort after park closings, wifi issues, cell phones not working in the rooms, loud food court, long lines. I don't want to believe them but every one I read had mention of one or more of those issues! Who can tell me anything about the resort, first hand? While we are not crippled, we are getting older and don't want to walk ten minutes for a coffee refill, or stand in line 90 minutes after a long day at a park. Help me decide, please!

Twhitty

We are staying there in May. Go onto google earth and look at the resort. It does look like a long distance to animation hall but I have read a couple reviews that say the walk is no longer than some other resorts.

Upvote 0

bsiev1977

I am planning a trip for this October/November. In the past we have stayed at All Star Sports but no longer wish to stay there, for various reasons, but mostly because our last trip there in October 2012 was just plain awful. So, I have been reading reviews on the AoA, Little Mermaid section (we have no need for a suite) and I want to pull the trigger and book but the reviews are just so so. A lot of people complaining about how long the walk is to the food court, buses running hours late on returning back the resort after park closings, wifi issues, cell phones not working in the rooms, loud food court, long lines. I don't want to believe them but every one I read had mention of one or more of those issues! Who can tell me anything about the resort, first hand? While we are not crippled, we are getting older and don't want to walk ten minutes for a coffee refill, or stand in line 90 minutes after a long day at a park. Help me decide, please!

I will be staying there in December, Don't worry about the distance thing. I mapped it on a runners geo distance site, and it's only a little more than a quarter mile. Think walking once around the track at high school. It looks worse than it actually is.

Upvote 0

smk

Original Poster
Good news then, why are people so negative in their reviews? I really want to stay there, so I guess we will give it a try. How bad can it be? It's new, it's disney and I have read that the themes are carried out very well. I am hoping for free dining to be announced in April so I can quickly switch over. The bus situation I figure we can work around just by trying it once and if it is horrible we can drive ourselves around to the parks. It was the walking issue that really had me worried, I swear each and every review I read had a negative about how big the resort was.

Upvote 0

bsiev1977

Good news then, why are people so negative in their reviews? I really want to stay there, so I guess we will give it a try. How bad can it be? It's new, it's disney and I have read that the themes are carried out very well. I am hoping for free dining to be announced in April so I can quickly switch over. The bus situation I figure we can work around just by trying it once and if it is horrible we can drive ourselves around to the parks. It was the walking issue that really had me worried, I swear each and every review I read had a negative about how big the resort was.
I'm of the opinion that people love to complain about things online, so will post negative things much more often than posting good things.

Anyway, if the size of the resort is what they are complaining about, things aren't really that bad.

Upvote 0

HatboxGhost

A lot of people complaining about how long the walk is to the food court, buses running hours late on returning back the resort after park closings, wifi issues, cell phones not working in the rooms, loud food court, long lines.
One main thing to find out is if the people complaining are going there during PEAK times. I'm sure that every resort has its problems especially when it is packed. I am going there for the first time in Sept and I seriously doubt that I will encounter those problems being that crowd levels will be low. I dont understand people who go there in July and then complain about long lines, loud food courts, buses running late, etc. :confused: Best thing to do is to go and find out for yourself......chances are you will be satisfied.

Upvote 0

melmood2000

We stayed in the little mermaid section in sept. I have said on a few posts about it being a long walk. As others have said it isn't much different then some of the other resorts. However I was used to staying in preferred rooms at the value resorts so close to everything, compared to those rooms the little mermaid section is a bit out there. The rooms are amazing I loved the room decor the oversized characters are so cute and well done. You really feel like you are under the sea and a part of the movie. Would I stay in this section again Yes if my daughter was traveling with me.

Upvote 0

MightyMouse

Having stayed there I too read a lot of the complaints and would often wonder if maybe I had stayed at a different resort because I just did not experience any of these issues. Then I read a report from someone complaining about the long bus ride from the resort to the Magic Kingdom. He said it was a whopping 15-20 minutes. This put it all into perspective for me. For me that 15 minutes was a joy ride in which I enjoyed the scenery, took in the experience, and relished in the anticipation. To others that 15 minutes is a hinderance. So you will find this with most reviews. It is all the perspective of the individual.

Upvote 0

bsiev1977

For me personally, on my trip the distance to the main building will be a non issue no matter what. Most of my meals will be in the parks. As far as the bus, that doesn't matter either as I'll have a car that week and will be driving to the parks.

Upvote 0

smp2k6

We stayed in Little Mermaid shortly after it opened back in October. We enjoyed it. The biggest issue I had was the price premium over POP really wasn't worth it. The food court is smaller and we didn't like the limited options. The walk was fine and really not far. It was nice to walk through the themed areas of The Lion King to get to the food court. We've stayed at POP many times (along with WL and others). We definitly prefer POP over AoA. I'd suggest staying at POP and walking over the bridge to visit AoA to see the great outdoor themeing and then visit the foodcourt. We had a car so I can't comment on bus service. One thing to keep in mind is most of the room discounts lately haven't been applicable at AoA Little Mermaid section.

Upvote 0

HatboxGhost

We stayed in the little mermaid section in sept. I have said on a few posts about it being a long walk. As others have said it isn't much different then some of the other resorts. However I was used to staying in preferred rooms at the value resorts so close to everything, compared to those rooms the little mermaid section is a bit out there. The rooms are amazing I loved the room decor the oversized characters are so cute and well done. You really feel like you are under the sea and a part of the movie. Would I stay in this section again Yes if my daughter was traveling with me.
How far or close are the Cars rooms?

Upvote 0

HatboxGhost

Having stayed there I too read a lot of the complaints and would often wonder if maybe I had stayed at a different resort because I just did not experience any of these issues. Then I read a report from someone complaining about the long bus ride from the resort to the Magic Kingdom. He said it was a whopping 15-20 minutes. This put it all into perspective for me. For me that 15 minutes was a joy ride in which I enjoyed the scenery, took in the experience, and relished in the anticipation. To others that 15 minutes is a hinderance. So you will find this with most reviews. It is all the perspective of the individual
It really is perspective because I have no problem at all sitting on a bus for only 15 minutes. For me even the bus ride is exciting and I also like to sit back and enjoy the surroundings with my wife. Look, theres a McDonalds...LOL. :D

Upvote 0

HatboxGhost

For me personally, on my trip the distance to the main building will be a non issue no matter what.
The last 3 times that my wife and I went to Disney we went when it was cold back in Connecticut so it was a pleasure to take a nice walk in the warm Florida air. Granted, we stayed at Pop Century and All Star Movies which doesnt sound as bad as The Little Mermaid rooms at the AOA.

Upvote 0

smk

Original Poster
We have stayed at POP once and I know I am in the minorty here but I didn't like it. That being said, I used to LOVE Sports but the trip we took last year sealed the deal and we won't be going back there. Too many things went wrong, the pool was dirty, the main pool was down for rehab so the smaller pool got way too much use and not enough cleaning. I can't put my finger on one solid thing, just a lot of little things turned us off. So, we are shopping for a new place to love and I think AoA may fit that bill.

I do love the bus rides, anticipating the arrival at MK is always my favorite. Turning the corner, the music changing to announce our arrival, I love it. The standing in longs waiting for the bus is another story tho. At Sports if the bus was crowded or late there was always the option of hoping on a Music bus and heading back, not so with AoA, unless POP buses are right there and not full. We drive so there is less of a chance we will tolerate long lines when we can change that frustration just by getting in our own car and going whenever we want.

I am most looking forward to the food court, the themed areas and the newness of it all. If I am being honest, I am most looking forward to just going back to WDW! I could probably even tolerate staying at Sports again IF it meant I was there. :)

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement! If anyone else has observations I would love to hear about them!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom