Are there Church Services over Christmas???

CTXRover

Hey,

My brother is bringing his girlfriend to Disney over Christmas vacation this year and they definitely want to go to some type of church service on Christmas day. I know Disney used to hold Church services over at the Poly (I think), but I'm pretty sure they don't have them anymore. However, does anyone know if they still have some type of special Church service over Christmas? If so where and how can I get info on it? Thanks!

Pioneer Hall

Disney does not offer religious services of any kind any more on property. If you ask at Guest Services they will tell you where you can go to observe the holiday.

Upvote 0

Maria

If you are Catholic, I know Mary Queen of the Universe Shrine, has midnight Mass on Christmas Eve. (Or at least, used to....) :animwink:

Upvote 0

onecoolmama

How do most people get to these services without a car? My mom and Aunt want to go October 5th (a Sunday) that we are there. We will not have a car..so I guess they would have to use a taxi? How much is it to take a taxi...has anyone done this before?

Upvote 0

MFLetou

Exactly!

That's exactly what I'm thinking. We're headed down to WDW on 10/11, so mass would be the 12th. In the past we've gone to Poyneisan, but they have cancelled that (I understand that it was a decision made by the Church and the RC Diocese of Orlando, not Disney). This is absurd to me! You have a property bigger than many towns and you don't have a single mass on it? Guests invest a lot of time and money into their trip to WDW and I would guess that most that stay on property do not have cars, they rely on WDW Transportation. It is really quite unreasonable to expect you to invest in a taxi and the extra time to go to mass on-property. And don't give me the priest shortage excuse, you can't tell me that there isn't a retired priest someplace they could have do the mass at the Poly. That mass was a big money maker for that place, and they pretty much built their "Shrine" with the funds they made at the Poly services from what I understand, so that's bunk.

Just to clarify, before anyone jumps on me...my gripe is NOT with Disney, its with Mary Queen of Universe and the Orlando Diocese.

Upvote 0

Maria

I think you should better blame it on Orlando´s awful public transportation system. If there was a reliable one, you would be taking it. :animwink:

Don´t quote me on this one, but in an old thread about this same topic, I think I read someone mentionned some buses or a way of free or cheap transportation going to the Shrine, but I might be wrong.

Upvote 0

admats130

Mary Queen Shrine

The Shrine is just across I-4, near the Lake Buena Vista Blvd. entrance. A cab ride couldn't cost more than a few dollars.

The Shrine is not a parish but a ministry (technical terms). They 'congregation' per se are Orlando tourists; that is, it is specifically targeted towards visitors and not locals. That's why the don't hold masses anymore on property; they want people to come visit the Shrine (which, btw, is gorgeous).

Cheers,
Alex

Upvote 0

Maria

Re: Mary Queen Shrine

Originally posted by admats130
The Shrine is just across I-4, near the Lake Buena Vista Blvd. entrance. A cab ride couldn't cost more than a few dollars.

The Shrine is not a parish but a ministry (technical terms). They 'congregation' per se are Orlando tourists; that is, it is specifically targeted towards visitors and not locals. That's why the don't hold masses anymore on property; they want people to come visit the Shrine (which, btw, is gorgeous).

Cheers,
Alex

Thanks Alex! You made me remember the introductory speech by the Priest at Mass there!

...and I agree, the Shrine is gorgeous, specially during Christmas time! :)

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

Re: Exactly!

Originally posted by MFLetou
It is really quite unreasonable to expect you to invest in a taxi and the extra time to go to mass on-property.

(I think you meant off property )

Welll, what is also unreasonable is to provide Catholic services and generic Protestant services (as they used to at the Polynesian) but no other services. Many non-Catholic Christians prefer a denomination-specific service.

If you only knew the differences in interpretations of sacraments, how to address God, etc etc etc

I think it was a wise thing for Disney to get out of the "religion business" before it turned into a discrimination lawsuit. (and you know it would sooner or later)

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Re: Re: Exactly!

Originally posted by Yellow Shoes
(I think you meant off property )

Welll, what is also unreasonable is to provide Catholic services and generic Protestant services (as they used to at the Polynesian) but no other services. Many non-Catholic Christians prefer a denomination-specific service.

If you only knew the differences in interpretations of sacraments, how to address God, etc etc etc

I think it was a wise thing for Disney to get out of the "religion business" before it turned into a discrimination lawsuit. (and you know it would sooner or later)

Agreed! There are hundreds of religions and variations on those religions. Disney can't help everyone and for them this was the best way to please everyone. If they can't make everyone happy then they won't make anyone happy.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom