April 29th Shuttle Launch

gorebunch

The next space shuttle launch has been moved to April 29th at 3:45 pm. We are arriving around 10:30 a.m. that morning in Orlando for a week at WDW. My son is 8 and my twin daughters are 5 and because the space shuttles are headed out of service I thought this would be a great opportunity to see history. Also, I have never seen the shuttle launch.

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get to a viewing site for the launch? Also, we were planning on using magical express to take care of our bags. Obviously, we would now need to rent a car for one day if we decided to watch the shuttle launch. How will that work if our bags go ahead to the room and we leave in a rental car from the airport for the launch.

Would it be better to take magical express to our resort and rent a car at the car care center and leave from there?

Any help is appreciated

tizzo

From Disney property to Jetty Park in Port Canaveral, which is my favorite viewing location, is around a 90 minute drive, maybe a little less, under ordinary circumstances. But traffic is always heavy, getting worse the closer you get to the port, when there's a launch. And with the program winding down, it's only getting worse.

I'd give myself at least 2:30 to get from Disney to the coast under these conditions, and would further advise arriving at least a couple hours before the scheduled launch time, because there is limited space available and they'll close the parking lot when it's full.

An alternative to Jetty Park is anywhere on the beach south of the port, IE Cocoa Beach. Same traffic issues, and you're on your own for parking, but there are at least more options. I've never tried to park there for a launch, but I suspect most of the businesses along A1A are tolerant of people parking for the launch, since it likely translates into extra business for them.

I've never viewed from there before, but you can see launches from inside the parks. Depends on how dedicated you are to seeing it from the best vantage point. There's no comparison to seeing it from up close. Jetty Park is a dramatically better view even than from my house, which is only around 20 miles or so from the launch pad.

Also be aware, before you commit to spending money on making this happen, that local reporting is saying that if there's a government shutdown, the launch could be delayed again. And of course shutdown or no shutdown shuttle launches are subject to scrubbing for any of a number of reasons right up to about 10s before launch. IE there are no guarantees that you'll see a launch even if you get there nice and early and secure a good spot.

Upvote 0

Jay & Sue

We had a nice and unexpected view of a shuttle launch from Cosmic Ray's. Not too thrilling as all you saw was a trail of smoke heading skyward but impressive none the less. The trouble would be to be watching at the right time. If you go to http://www.upoc.com/group.jsp?group=LaunchHolds they will text you information about launch holds and delays. Hope it was Ok to show that link. If not, sorry and please delete.

Upvote 0

Gucci65

NASA also has a twitter account, where they send you many, many, many up to the second updates.

Good luck!! Hope you get to see her go up! It's definately a sight to be remembered.

Upvote 0

ssnyder4

I would suggest what someone else said and head for Daytona Beach. The path of the shuttle will take it right up the coast....there are going to be thousands of people there and getting to the launch will be difficult enough, but getting back to Orlando will be worse...We headed there (I work on the shuttle program) last April and the drive back was easily 4 hours...this one will be even worse. The traffic on I4 won't be nearly as bad as the main route from the cape back to Orlando.

I'll wish you and your family the best of luck seeing the launch. This will truly be a once in a lifetime opportunity for you. And I'll be watching from Mission Control in Houston.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom