Pre-Trip April 2018 Adult Birthday Trip – he’s a real boy! Plus making our friends part of this world!

Hello everyone! I’m new to the forum, so apologies in advance if I do anything wrong in this post.

I’m going to WDW in April for a 4-night trip and would love to run our current plans by you wonderful people!

THE PREMISE: My boyfriend, Steven, and I have both been to WDW many times, including twice in 2017 (once for a 5-day trip together in January and separately with our respective families). I’ve always been a Disney parks fan, but I went off the deep end to plan our January 2017 trip, reading all the blogs and forums I could find. In the process, I became a Disney obsessive and so did he.

This is us at MK last year:
IMG-7677.JPG

We’ve talked up WDW on many occasions since then to two of our closest friends, Abbey and Bryce, who are married. Both have been to DL when they were young, but not WDW (with a small exception) so we convinced them to go with us crazy people for a whirlwind long weekend for Steven’s birthday! The goal is to show them as much as possible over the 4-night trip without causing a mutiny.

THE GROUP:
Me – I love planning trips, so I’m doing most of the planning and logistics. I’m a type A person and I like my vacations to be active and busy. My goal is to show Bryce and Abbey the four main parks and to give them a magical and stress-free vacation full of rides, food, and fun.

Steven – He’s listened to me ramble about the plans for the trip for months and gives great advice. He loves WDW, but he is much more relaxed than me, which is good for me and this trip. He will be turning 27 on the trip, so I want to give him the best possible birthday!

Bryce – He went to DL once as a child and what he remembers most was waiting in line for the HM, but getting to spooked by the queue and running away. He wants to go on Pirates more than anything else and to ride all the thrill rides. Anything with the word “mountain” or “space” in the ride name is required!

Abbey – She went to Orlando for a conference last year and got to go to Epcot for an event in the event pavilion in the WS. She got to ride TT, Soarin’, and Mission Space but hasn’t seen anything else. She also had dinner at the Boathouse in DS and her only request for this trip is that we return there.

THE PLANS:
Wednesday evening: We’re all flying from the NYC area on two separate flights, so we’ll meet at Pop Century that night, where we are staying. We’ll be taking the Magical Express and Disney Transportation so no worries about those pesky parking fees! Once we’re all there we’ll get a snack and a drink from the pool bar to kick off the trip then go to bed.

Thursday: Wake up early, eat breakfast at Pop Century, get on the bus by 8am to rope drop MK. The plan of attack is to do Pirates first thing, then make our way through the rest of the busy rides in Adventureland, Frontierland, and Liberty Square before our morning Space Mountain FastPass. Then we have Be Our Guest Lunch, and 7DMT and Peter Pan FPs after lunch. From there we’ll do more rides, booking additional FastPasses. Then we’ll take a late afternoon break for Trader Sam’s at the Poly, returning for the fireworks. I don’t know if we’ll do an official dinner this day or just graze on snacks.

I plan to have one of those birthday balloon room packages delivered while we’re gone for the day. Has anyone bought these before? Did you think they were worth ~$100? This is the one I was thinking of: http://disneyworld.disneyfloralandg...paign=resort_add_ons&utm_medium=landing_page#

Friday: Steven’s birthday! At his request, we’re rope dropping Epcot with a brief jaunt to Hollywood Studios in the afternoon. We’ll spend the morning doing Future World, then head over to WS around noon. Steven and Bryce want to drink/snack around the world, so we’ll start doing that in Canada and make our way counter-clockwise around the lagoon.

I’m really excited to see all the special gardens and topiaries for the F&G festival! A few hours later we’ll head over to HS to do our afternoon FastPasses for Star Tours, ToT, and RnRC. We’ll return to Epcot and continue where we left off for drinking and eating around the world, then stay for Illuminations.

Saturday: We’ll have a slightly later wake up today because we won’t be rope-dropping a park. We have a Boma breakfast reservation mid-morning (Steven and I LOVE Boma!) and will go to AK after breakfast. We have FastPasses for Flight of Passage, Expedition Everest, and the Safari. AK is my favorite park and I haven’t even been to Pandora yet! I’m excited to show Bryce and Abbey how beautiful the park is.

Currently, we have a dinner reservation for Yak & Yeti. However, we are debating cancelling that and having dinner at either Satu’li Canteen or Flame Tree instead. Or both! What do you all recommend?

We’re doing the Star Wars VR experience at DS later that night and seeing DS! Bryce and Steven are huge Star Wars fans, so they are looking forward to entering that world! This is our last night together, so we’ll probably get one last drink at one of the many cool bars in DS before heading back to the hotel. We’ll fly out the next day.

SUGGESTIONS: What do you all think about this as a plan? Any suggestions? Bryce and Abbey have said that they plan on going to WDW once in their life, so if that ends up being true I want them to have as magical a vacation as possible! But obviously the real goal is to turn them into fans like us 😊

Disneylover152

All of your fastpasses are ideal! Great planning on your part.

This is a really good plan.

I know your schedule doesn't really fit this in, but have you considered going to Hop-Dee-Doo! or spending some time resort hopping? This is a really fun thing to do, and I personally love resort hopping more than Disney Springs.

jannedoe

Original Poster
All of your fastpasses are ideal! Great planning on your part.

This is a really good plan.

I know your schedule doesn't really fit this in, but have you considered going to Hop-Dee-Doo! or spending some time resort hopping? This is a really fun thing to do, and I personally love resort hopping more than Disney Springs.

Thank you! We were lucky that the FastPasses worked out - I was flying during our window so my mom was kind enough to wake up at 6am central time to reserve all of them.

I absolutely adore resort hopping and am hoping to sneak in a few on our plan. When Steven and I went last January we spent an entire day resort hopping! We'll definitely go to the Poly to visit Trader Sam's and I'm hoping to convince everyone to go over to the Wilderness Lodge after that to get a quick dinner from either Geyser Point or Roaring Fork. Abbey and Bryce are from the Northwest, so this will feel like home to them. When I was younger we would always stay at the cabins at Fort Wilderness or in the Wilderness Lodge, so I have a lot of nostalgia for the resorts. Plus, I think it's the most beautiful Disney hotel!

I'd love to do Hoop-Dee-Doo with the group, but I think that will be too big of a time commitment for our one day in MK :(. I haven't done that since I was a little kid, so I want to make time for it on my next trip!

I also think we'll walk through either the Boardwalk or Yacht/Beach Club as we park hop between Epcot and HS. I love the Boardwalk and hope to stay there someday, but in the meantime I just want to wander around those resorts!

jannedoe

Original Poster
Sounds like fun! We love Boma too.
Thank you for the response! I've only ever done Boma breakfast, I want to get out there for dinner sometime too. AKL is high on my list of resorts I want to stay in, I've only been once for breakfast and absolutely loved seeing the animals on the savannah!

Mainahman

Nothing beats your birthday at Disney! I turned 31 on our trip, and i wouldn't of had it any other way! Personally i wouldn't cancel Yak and Yeti, Thats my favorite meal on site! Great food, and great frozen drinks ;) if you go and like fruity, get a Yak Attack, or several! Have a blast!

Disneylover152

Also, while I love Yak and Yeti, Satulli Canteen is amazing and much better! I think you should eat there. Don't forget to mobile order!

krisri18

Sounds like a great trip! We did the Star Wars VR experience in January and it was definitely something we would do again, and I have absolutely no interest in Star Wars whatsoever! They were running a good half hour to 45 minutes behind, hopefully they've straightened out all the kinks since then!

jannedoe

Original Poster
Nothing beats your birthday at Disney! I turned 31 on our trip, and i wouldn't of had it any other way! Personally i wouldn't cancel Yak and Yeti, Thats my favorite meal on site! Great food, and great frozen drinks ;) if you go and like fruity, get a Yak Attack, or several! Have a blast!

Aww how fun! I hope to do my birthday there someday too.

Also, while I love Yak and Yeti, Satulli Canteen is amazing and much better! I think you should eat there. Don't forget to mobile order!

I'm still so conflicted on Yak and Yeti vs. Satu'li! We'll probably end up making a decision the day before whether or not to cancel our reservation. I'll be sure to do a trip report and let you all know what we decide.

Sounds like a great trip! We did the Star Wars VR experience in January and it was definitely something we would do again, and I have absolutely no interest in Star Wars whatsoever! They were running a good half hour to 45 minutes behind, hopefully they've straightened out all the kinks since then!

I'm glad you liked it, I've heard good things! That's good to know about them running behind. We're doing it at night, so it's very possible that they'll be running behind by the time we get there.

Mainahman

Aww how fun! I hope to do my birthday there someday too.

I'm still so conflicted on Yak and Yeti vs. Satu'li! We'll probably end up making a decision the day before whether or not to cancel our reservation. I'll be sure to do a trip report and let you all know what we decide.

I'm glad you liked it, I've heard good things! That's good to know about them running behind. We're doing it at night, so it's very possible that they'll be running behind by the time we get there.

It was pretty fun to wear the birthday button all week! I will say the girls were probably sick of hearing them say happy birthday to me by the end, but we did get a few "magical moments" from it. Free dessert , free popcorn scoops etc :)

Gurt

I haven't tried Satu'li yet but the burger my OH had at Y&Y was amazing, he said it's the best burger he has ever eaten.

jannedoe

Original Poster
Just be aware of the cancellation fees!

Yes we definitely don't want those! I had a great experience with guest services last year where I had to call and cancel a brunch reservation the day of due to travel plans changing and the CM waived the fee, but we definitely can't expect that to happen all the time.

It was pretty fun to wear the birthday button all week! I will say the girls were probably sick of hearing them say happy birthday to me by the end, but we did get a few "magical moments" from it. Free dessert , free popcorn scoops etc :)

That sounds wonderful! We're definitely getting Steven a birthday button so he can hear "Happy Birthday" while we're there. Plus, we would never say no to free dessert!

I haven't tried Satu'li yet but the burger my OH had at Y&Y was amazing, he said it's the best burger he has ever eaten.

Now I've swung over to team Yak & Yeti! Our breakfast is around 9am, so maybe we can do late-ish lunch at Satu'li and still go to Y&Y for a proper dinner to get the best of both worlds.

Thank you everyone for all your opinions! These are all so helpful!

Mainahman

Yes we definitely don't want those! I had a great experience with guest services last year where I had to call and cancel a brunch reservation the day of due to travel plans changing and the CM waived the fee, but we definitely can't expect that to happen all the time.

That sounds wonderful! We're definitely getting Steven a birthday button so he can hear "Happy Birthday" while we're there. Plus, we would never say no to free dessert!

Now I've swung over to team Yak & Yeti! Our breakfast is around 9am, so maybe we can do late-ish lunch at Satu'li and still go to Y&Y for a proper dinner to get the best of both worlds.

Thank you everyone for all your opinions! These are all so helpful!
Free dessert is always the best!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom