Anything like the Blue Bayou at WDW?

ElyseL

Original Poster
I live in CA and go to Disneyland regularly. For anyone who hasnt been the Blue Bayou is a restaurant attached to Pirates of the Caribbean where you can watch the boats go by. It's one of my favorite sit down restaurants but I haven't seen anything similar at WDW on the website, any recommendations?

Rufus T Firefly

I live in CA and go to Disneyland regularly. For anyone who hasnt been the Blue Bayou is a restaurant attached to Pirates of the Caribbean where you can watch the boats go by. It's one of my favorite sit down restaurants but I haven't seen anything similar at WDW on the website, any recommendations?
There is a restaurant inside the Mexico pavilion in Epcot. Hope you like Mexican food.

ElyseL

Original Poster
I saw that but I was a little apprehensive, coming from CA I can get a lot of Mexican food easily. Off to tripadvisor I go.

Sweet Melissa

There are three restaurants overlooking rides in Walt Disney World. The only one as immersive as the Blue Bayou is the San Angel Inn in Epcot. I'm also a native Californian, and I think the cuisine there is wonderful. It's not exactly the same as the Mexican food we get in California, but it is close, and it's definitely authentic. The other two are the aforementioned Village Haus, and the Garden Grill, a rotating restaurant that overlooks Living with the Land in Epcot. It's kind of a mess of themes. It rotates, it has characters, and it's a family-style meal. Not my thing as I prefer a la carte menus and no character interaction.

ElyseL

Original Poster
OOO thanks! I'll check it out. I'm still debating abt San Angel but we are going to the Brown Derby and Artist Point for sure to eat. I feel so lucky right now Disneyland in August and Disneyworld in December. What more could a girl ask for :) Let me know if you guys have more suggestions, I really appreciate it. :)

lazyboy97o

Yeah, the food at San Angel Inn is not that great and I don't think just being inside and next to a water ride path gives it the same atmosphere as the Blue Bayou.

The Incredible Schmulk

I don't really think the food at Blue Bayou is all that great. I actually prefer San Angel, if asked to choose between the two. It's pretty good Mexican food, and it's a menu that boasts some preparations that you would rarely see in your neighborhood establishment. The path of the boats for the ride is similar to that of the boats at Blue Bayou, but I also think the theming in the Mexico Pavilion is more immersive. In my experiences with both restaurants, I consider San Angel to be the all around winner.

jmorri26

Yeah, the food at San Angel Inn is not that great and I don't think just being inside and next to a water ride path gives it the same atmosphere as the Blue Bayou.

I actually really love their food at San Angel Inn. It's changed a ton in recent years (plus the full menu from La Cava?! What what) Given a choice of the 2, the vibe is similar but I think there's more to look at at San Angel Inn. We all commented how crazy dark it was in Blue Bayou. The food was ok there too.

ElyseL

Original Poster
I don't really think the food at Blue Bayou is all that great. I actually prefer San Angel, if asked to choose between the two. It's pretty good Mexican food, and it's a menu that boasts some preparations that you would rarely see in your neighborhood establishment. The path of the boats for the ride is similar to that of the boats at Blue Bayou, but I also think the theming in the Mexico Pavilion is more immersive. In my experiences with both restaurants, I consider San Angel to be the all around winner.
I love the food at the Blue Bayou, the Monte Cristo is great (granted I never get it, too fattening). They got me with their gumbo which is exceptional, and the salmon. Yummy stuff.

ElyseL

Original Poster
I actually really love their food at San Angel Inn. It's changed a ton in recent years (plus the full menu from La Cava?! What what) Given a choice of the 2, the vibe is similar but I think there's more to look at at San Angel Inn. We all commented how crazy dark it was in Blue Bayou. The food was ok there too.

LOL it is really dark in there, one time i couldnt really see the food in front of me. The lighting was a lot better when I went in OCT last year.

draybook

The diner at the San Angel Inn was our favorite meal from our trip last year. And the atmosphere was great. If you go, make sure to wait on a water side table.

This is the dining area:

sanangelrest_zpsb6b3009d.jpg

Disnee4Me

My first trip to Disneyland, way back in '76, we ate at the Blue Bayou and I thought it was FANTASTIC. I had so hoped they would have recreated that restaurant in Florida, but they didn't ... someday I'll get back there ... sigh!!

amazingwdw

OOO thanks! I'll check it out. I'm still debating abt San Angel but we are going to the Brown Derby and Artist Point for sure to eat. I feel so lucky right now Disneyland in August and Disneyworld in December. What more could a girl ask for :) Let me know if you guys have more suggestions, I really appreciate it. :)

If you're still on the fence about San Angel, I would suggest looking into Coral Reef Restaurant in The Seas pavilion. I've always had great food and service there.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I really enjoyed my meal at San Angel Inn, I had a steak with chilquilles (unsure of the spelling) that is offered at lunch. The atmosphere is nice too and does remind me of the Blue Bayou.

As a pp suggested the Coral Reef is nice with a view of the tank, and my meal there was okay. I don't like seafood though so I was limited in my landlubber choices. But my husband had some catfish dish he loved.

wolf359

San Angel is one of my very favorite restaurants at Walt Disney World because I really do enjoy the food, but the atmosphere is really great, and very much like the Blue Bayou.

armyfamilyof5

Food wise, NO, atmosphere wise San Angel Inn fits the bill, beautiful atmosphere. The entire family loved Blue Bayou in DL but San Angel Inn not so much and we are Mexican food lovers being we are originally from Texas.

ElyseL

Original Poster
Food wise, NO, atmosphere wise San Angel Inn fits the bill, beautiful atmosphere. The entire family loved Blue Bayou in DL but San Angel Inn not so much and we are Mexican food lovers being we are originally from Texas.

I think I'll pop in and take a look at the food. Worse case scenario is I just order a margarita and have some chips.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom