ANYONE WHO WAS EVER IN THE DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM:

MJ Roy

Original Poster
To: Anyone who was ever in the DCP

I am a 18 year old girl from Oregon. I want to do the Disney College Program Fall 2013. After reading many reviews and hearing multiple testimonies, I am more confused than ever. So I just want straight facts.

Kinda like a survey :)

1. What year/term were you in the DCP?
  2. How long (month arrive to month end) were you there?
  3. How did you get there? Plane/Parent's Car/Personal Car? What state/country did you come from?
  4. Select one reason why you chose to do the DCP: want to have a good time, love Disney history, love Disney movies, love amusement parks, college credit, pertains to your career, or other?
  5. What was your role? What were your daily tasks? How many hours a day did you work? What was your daily work-related stress level?
  6. Would you choose a different role now?
  7. How difficult is it to get organized, trained, and work? Regarding the instruction and learning process:
  8. Was your pay: low, medium, or high on the scale of (7$-9$)? Do you think that was fair?
  9. How much money a month did you ACTUALLY have to live off of each week, after housing?
  10. What housing did you stay in? Did you like the amount of people there, and the apartment itself?
  11. After that experience, what housing would you prefer now?
  12. Pro or Con on the bus system? Explain why you chose that in one sentence:
  13. How much free time do you have each week? What were some things you did on your free time (besides the obvious)?
  14. Did you take classes? If so, which ones?
  15. Would you recommend this choice, or have done it differently?
  16. Did you get college credit, or work experience credit?
  17. How 'home-sick' were you?
  18. Mood during the course of the program: depressed, moderate, moderately happy, happy, or always happy:
  19. Absolute BEST part of the DCP:
  20. Absolute WORST part of the DCP:

Any more comments would also be appreciated if you would like to elaborate :)

From everyone who wants to know about the Disney College Program,

THANK YOU!

schwartziel

1. What year/term were you in the DCP?
I did Spring but extended the the summer so technically Spring Advantage 2012
How long (month arrive to month end) were you there?

January - August
How did you get there? Plane/Parent's Car/Personal Car? What state/country did you come from?

I drove - I lived in North Carolina at the time and it was a 10 hour drive. I went all by myself which wasn't an issue. Move in day was actually really easy and my roommates parents were there and offered to help me out.

Select one reason why you chose to do the DCP: want to have a good time, love Disney history, love Disney movies, love amusement parks, college credit, pertains to your career, or other?

I had always known about it and thought it would be a great opportunity. I had only heard good things from Alum. What other time in my life was I going to get an opportunity to work at the happiest place on earth with a bunch of other kids my age?

What was your role? What were your daily tasks? How many hours a day did you work? What was your daily work-related stress level?

I was Attractions/Park Operations. I worked for the first 4 months at Animal Kingdom at MJT and Flights of Wonder. I spent my last 3 months at Hollywood Studios at Tower of Terror (which is my favorite attraction!) with some Fantasmic! shifts as well! I worked on average 30-35 hours a week. My hours and times ranged more at DAK since I worked on an Animal Trail and the park changed up its hours a lot. My hours were really consistent at DHS - lots of six hours shifts and I was never scheduled in the morning - always closing shifts (which I loved). I personally was never stressed - I absolutely loved both of my jobs! I got to make magic every single day and interact with so many people from all over the world.
Would you choose a different role now?

NO WAY. Attractions all the way. Best role in my opinion.

How difficult is it to get organized, trained, and work? Regarding the instruction and learning process:

It wasn't difficult at all. Just pay attention and you will be fine. Some jobs are more complex then others - I would know as working at MJT was very laid back and easy to learn whereas Tower has a lot of safety regulations that you must abide by while also having fun with what you are doing/staying in character. Training on average is about 6 days i'd say (including assessment)

Was your pay: low, medium, or high on the scale of (7$-9$)? Do you think that was fair?
I was paid the lower wage (I think 7.67?) and I was fine with it. Of course I would have loved for it to have been more but I never complained. I loved my jobs so I had no issues going to work - pay was just a bonus in my mind. Even with the low wages I still had enough money for food, gas, and lots of play. Never really struggled for cash.
  1. How much money a month did you ACTUALLY have to live off of each week, after housing?
It ranged depending on the hours I got but I would say on average about $150 - considering you were getting your money every week this was plenty for me. Working 5 days a week you really just need the money for food and then the extra you have left over you can save or spend on days off.

What housing did you stay in? Did you like the amount of people there, and the apartment itself?
I stayed in Patterson in a three bedroom. My roommates and I wanted Chatham but they did not have a three bedroom left by the time we got to the housing part of check-in. I thought three bedroom was the perfect size and I already had picked out my roommates on facebook so we were good to go at check-in. The apartment itself is really nice and typical size. I really liked it. The rules regarding housing and visiting other complexes/having guest....not so much. Everyone hates those rules though and they are not changing. And when it came to inspections we only had 1 official inspection in about 7 months. Our second one was about 2 weeks before we left the program.
After that experience, what housing would you prefer now?
Patterson or Chatham. For sure.
Pro or Con on the bus system? Explain why you chose that in one sentence:
Never really took the bus so I couldn't tell ya. I do know they changed up the bus companies though since I left. From what I hear they seem to run on time.

How much free time do you have each week? What were some things you did on your free time (besides the obvious)?
2 days off every week. I loved playing around the Disney parks in my free time (obviously) and the other parks as well. It was also nice just to lay out by the pool or have a relax day with a movie where you aren't running around like you are at work. Shopping was also fun and Downtown Orlando at night was lots of fun too - the party buses aren't too bad if you are smart about them. Also with free time after work I LOVED going to Ihop or Steak n' Shake with co-workers. So much fun.
Did you take classes? If so, which ones?
I did! I took Exploring Marketing and Professional Development: Finance. I really enjoyed both. I have to admit that Marketing was more fun than finance but I did learn a lot in both and made some new friends. Each class is a great networking opportunity and just a good way to learn more about how Disney operates.
Would you recommend this choice, or have done it differently?
Recommend the program? 110% - best 7 months of my life!
Did you get college credit, or work experience credit?
I did not try to get credit for my classes but I did take online classes while I was there so that is how I got credit. It still looks great on a resume though :)
How 'home-sick' were you?
It sounds terrible but not at all. Seriously - 0%. I talked to my family and friends a lot and kept them updated on everything I was doing. To be honest you are so busy while you are down there with work and your social life that it becomes home. One of my roommates was homesick at first but by the time she left she was ready to move down to Florida and call it her new home.
Mood during the course of the program: depressed, moderate, moderately happy, happy, or always happy:
I'd pretty much say always happy. Met some of the greatest people ever. Had a wonderful job. Got paid. Had wonderful opportunities.

Absolute BEST part of the DCP:
The people. Prepare to make best friends - friends for life.
Absolute WORST part of the DCP:

Have to leave at the very end

MJ Roy

Original Poster
I seriously cannot thank you enough.
I am absolutely stunned by your amazing detailed response!
I appreciate it SO SO SO MUCH!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I want to live in Patterson with my friend Bre, and we're willing to get a 2 bedroom to share some rent.
I want to do custodial (I know it sounds wired!), I've researched it a lot, and it sounds like a really great job.
I want to take home college classes, but people are telling me I'll not have any time to do that... So I'm nervous...
My main thing is I want to take a Disney history class while I'm in the program, because I'm OBSESSED with the history behind Disney!

Thank you so so much again!

:)
MJ

ULPO46

If your from Oregon, i'd say you would be closer to disneyland. You might want to take a plane instead of car because you will have to spend a lot on gas and hotel, it's a 2-3 day drive. Also custodial makes just about the same amount of money about minum wage that is allowed by law in Florida and Orange county. Be careful when you fuel up near disney gas prices are rigged usally a dollar more than the outskirts of the border. Kissimee and Celebration are nice Celebration being Disneys town. I don't think they have a disney history class. If so I would have taken it. After college and the program you can always try and continue to work at disney. They have great insurance and great benifits. Your probably like me except I get paid a little more since i am an apprentice with imagineering.
P.S. be careful around here people take this Disney stuff verys serious and say that it's a faliure and is loosing attendance. What ever you believe it's not true. Disney is still a great place to work and visit. Also 17.5 million people visited last year the magic Kingdom alone so really don't listen to anyone about the Disney failing post.

MJ Roy

Original Poster
Thank you so so much for the advice!

If I get accepted to the DCP in California I am going to take my car because I do not pay for my gas, so I really don't have to worry about that! Thank you so much for the tip about fueling up near Disney though! :) BONUS!

From my house to Disney it is a 14 hour drive, and I would be traveling with my friend Bree, so we could swap driving along the way. I've driven to Colorado in one day, and it was a 20 hour drive :O worst day ever!

The history part I was talking about is the Interactive Learning course or the Exploring Disney Heritage seminars! I'd love that!
And the tours that you can go on sound incredible! Getting to see Walt's apartment is literally a dream of mine!

The last part you said (The P.S.), I'm a little confused with. I don't know if your telling me that I called Disney a "failure"? I have never said anything of the sort, and I refute those who do. I can't tell if your tone in the message is accusatory or insightful?

I appreciate your advice either way! :)

MJ

ULPO46

Thank you so so much for the advice!

If I get accepted to the DCP in California I am going to take my car because I do not pay for my gas, so I really don't have to worry about that! Thank you so much for the tip about fueling up near Disney though! :) BONUS!

From my house to Disney it is a 14 hour drive, and I would be traveling with my friend Bree, so we could swap driving along the way. I've driven to Colorado in one day, and it was a 20 hour drive :O worst day ever!

The history part I was talking about is the Interactive Learning course or the Exploring Disney Heritage seminars! I'd love that!
And the tours that you can go on sound incredible! Getting to see Walt's apartment is literally a dream of mine!

The last part you said (The P.S.), I'm a little confused with. I don't know if your telling me that I called Disney a "failure"? I have never said anything of the sort, and I refute those who do. I can't tell if your tone in the message is accusatory or insightful?

I appreciate your advice either way! :)

MJ
No I am warning you about the other post's. I know that a true disney fan like you would never say anything bad about disney because disney is perfect. Sure it might need new ideas but really it is just a perfect park.

katiekinzakat

Be careful when you fuel up near disney gas prices are rigged usally a dollar more than the outskirts of the border.
Living in Orlando, this is the opposite of the truth. There is one Mobil station on 535 that is like $1.50 more expensive than everywhere else, but gas on property and in the surrounding areas is actually pretty cheap, comparatively.

Vii

Living in Orlando, this is the opposite of the truth. There is one Mobil station on 535 that is like $1.50 more expensive than everywhere else, but gas on property and in the surrounding areas is actually pretty cheap, comparatively.

OMG, I think I saw that gas station and thought it was a misprint, LOL!! What the heck are they thinking, seriously?

But yeah, gas is pretty cheap around here, compared to other places. It's down to $3.11ish now and I find it to be around the same price around Disney aswell.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
OMG, I think I saw that gas station and thought it was a misprint, LOL!! What the heck are they thinking, seriously?

But yeah, gas is pretty cheap around here, compared to other places. It's down to $3.11ish now and I find it to be around the same price around Disney aswell.

That one is ALWAYS high. Little Lake Bryan's finest tourist trap!

To the OP, if you do not want constant partying stay away from Vista housing. The rumors of the pool having to be closed on a regular basis due to high levels of certain fluids is true.

Most apartments have 3/4 rooms with two people per room. Each room has two occupants.

If driving is an option even two cars for one to stay with you that is the better option. Relying on busses is not fun.

Lifeguards have the better pay of CPs when it comes to deep water guards. Scheduling is typically better for nights off. Food service and attractions can have crazy hours.

Deep water guards usually have a bit extra each month to live off of. It's hard to give a hard number on what the final numbers are with the variables left on the table.

Best part. Discounts.

Worst parts. Getting junk roommates. For the inspection of apartments you can be left doing all the cleaning with one or two roommates in order to pass. Some are quite lazy.

steviej

To: Anyone who was ever in the DCP

I am a 18 year old girl from Oregon. I want to do the Disney College Program Fall 2013. After reading many reviews and hearing multiple testimonies, I am more confused than ever. So I just want straight facts.

Kinda like a survey :)

1. What year/term were you in the DCP? spring advantage 07, and summer alumni 09
  2. How long (month arrive to month end) were you there? 01/07-08/07 and 05/09-08/09
  3. How did you get there? Plane/Parent's Car/Personal Car? What state/country did you come from? Took my car, from new jersey
  4. Select one reason why you chose to do the DCP: want to have a good time, love Disney history, love Disney movies, love amusement parks, college credit, pertains to your career, or other? Love disney world, wanted to have some fun and build up my resume a little bit
  5. What was your role? What were your daily tasks? How many hours a day did you work? What was your daily work-related stress level? my first time was operations in innoventions in epcot, this was a blast, loved it with a passion. Latest I ever worked was 12:15 am. And I think the longest shift I ever worked was 14 hours. My second cp was merchandising, as far as tasks go, it was basic retail. Usually worked around 8-10 hours. I wouldn't say that the job itself was stressful, but the location was (ws in epcot)
  6. Would you choose a different role now? I would probably want to try hotel check in
  7. How difficult is it to get organized, trained, and work? Regarding the instruction and learning process: wasn't difficult at all. Enjoyed it quite a bit.
  8. Was your pay: low, medium, or high on the scale of (7$-9$)? Do you think that was fair? low, I made 6.67 my first cp, then 7.21 my 2nd. I think I should've been paid slightly more.
  9. How much money a month did you ACTUALLY have to live off of each week, after housing? after taxes and rent, I averaged about 180. That did the trick for me.
  10. What housing did you stay in? Did you like the amount of people there, and the apartment itself? My 1st time, I lived in vista with 3 roommates. It was a little too quiet for my taste in the apartment itself. But then, my 2nd time, I did chatham with 5 roommates and that was perfect. Always someone to hang out with. And the apartment was much bigger.
  11. After that experience, what housing would you prefer now? I would do chatham again.
  12. Pro or Con on the bus system? Explain why you chose that in one sentence: they run reasonably.
  13. How much free time do you have each week? What were some things you did on your free time (besides the obvious)? It was very rare for me not to have at least 2 days a week off. I was pretty boring, so I'd either hit the parks, go for some drinks, or hit the pool or stay in and play video games, never really mixed it up from that.
  14. Did you take classes? If so, which ones? No, and I could kick myself for that!
  15. Would you recommend this choice, or have done it differently?
  16. Did you get college credit, or work experience credit? got 3 college credits
  17. How 'home-sick' were you? my first cp was my first time away from home, so at first i was EXTREMELY apprehensive, but I adjusted excellently
  18. Mood during the course of the program: depressed, moderate, moderately happy, happy, or always happy: usually happy
  19. Absolute BEST part of the DCP: even though they dont pay much, they take care of their cm's in other ways (free park admission, dining and merch discounts, etc)
  20. Absolute WORST part of the DCP: most of my merchandising cp

Any more comments would also be appreciated if you would like to elaborate :)

From everyone who wants to know about the Disney College Program,

THANK YOU!

CaptainShortty

1. What year/term were you in the DCP? - CP: Spring 2010; MI: Fall 2012; PI: Spring 2013 (I'll just do my CP since that's what you asked for)
  2. How long (month arrive to month end) were you there? January - May
  3. How did you get there? Plane/Parent's Car/Personal Car? What state/country did you come from? I came from NY and flew down with my parents. We have a condo in Ft. Lauderdale and some family there so I shipped some stuff down beforehand to them and then flew to Ft. Lauderdale so we could pick it up. Then we got a rental car and then drove to Orlando.
  4. Select one reason why you chose to do the DCP: want to have a good time, love Disney history, love Disney movies, love amusement parks, college credit, pertains to your career, or other? I was a hotel, restaurant and institutional management major so it was great work experience and I got work hour credit for it. (We needed 700 industry work hours to graduate within our 4 years). I also am a huge Disney fan and wanted to work for Disney after graduation so it was a great foot in the door!!
  5. What was your role? What were your daily tasks? How many hours a day did you work? What was your daily work-related stress level? I worked at the front desk of Animal Kingdom Lodge. I was in charge of all the tasks that you think of when you work the front desk; checking guests in and out, answering questions, providing guest service recovery as needed, etc. I generally worked 8.5hr shifts which included an hour long lunch. That being said I worked everywhere from 6hr shifts to ones lasting 15hrs. Stress level really depended on the day. Depending on the number of check-ins/check-outs, the type of guest problems, etc. Everyday was really a new challenge and brought different stresses to the day.
  6. Would you choose a different role now? Yes and No. I loved my location and the experience DAKL provided me so I would never ask to give that up. That being said, I would have loved to have been trained in concierge to be able to put my vast knowledge of WDW to use with the guests beyond front desk. I would also love to have had the experience working in the parks, particularly dealing with entertainment. I would have loved to have been a character attendant if I did another program, just for the experience.
  7. How difficult is it to get organized, trained, and work? Regarding the instruction and learning process: Disney has one of the best on-boaring training processes when compared to other companies like it. I had a company-wide orientation which lasted one day, then a week of classroom training at Disney University learning how to do my job, one day of DVC training and 5 days of on the job training with at trainer in my actual location. Although it's impossible for you to learn everything during your training I really felt prepared to deal with everything when I was finally on my own. Plus I knew there were lots of leaders, coordinators and more seasoned CMs there to back me up if I needed help.
  8. Was your pay: low, medium, or high on the scale of (7$-9$)? Do you think that was fair? In 2010 I was paid $7.88/hr for front desk but I know that that number has increased at least a dollar or so since 2010. If you look at industry standards, Disney is always on the lower side as far as pay is concerned. That being said, I wouldn't give up the extra benefits from the job (both material and non) for the additional dollars. No one (regardless of their job title) works at Disney for the money. You have to love what you do.
  9. How much money a month did you ACTUALLY have to live off of each week, after housing? I'm not sure the exact amount that I had weekly but I did have enough to live off of. I even took home a decent amount of money (about $1500). That being said, I wasn't 21 on my program so that definitely helped and, I didn't have a car and my parents paid for a lot of my expenses (car, health insurance, cell phone bill, etc.).
  10. What housing did you stay in? Did you like the amount of people there, and the apartment itself? I lived in a 3 bedroom in Chatham Square so I had 5 roommates. I lucked out and had truly wonderful roommates who I still keep in contact with 3 years later. I enjoyed having that many roommates because believe it or not, we were VERY rarely all in the apartment together unless we were asleep. That being said, we had a bunch of us so there was usually always someone there to hang out with if you were looking for someone.
  11. After that experience, what housing would you prefer now? I think that I would still prefer a 3 bedroom in Chatham. I would go for Patterson because those are really nice also but truly it wouldn't matter to me.
  12. Pro or Con on the bus system? Explain why you chose that in one sentence: Although the bus system is great if you don't have a car, (I didn't on my program), you get much more out of the program, IMO if you have your car.
  13. How much free time do you have each week? What were some things you did on your free time (besides the obvious)? I usually had 3 days of a week because it wasn't really busy during a lot of the time I was there. I spent a lot of my time off in the parks and enjoying all of the privileges we get as WDW CMs. I also definitely slept a lot and did all of the different things that needed to be done around the house. One of the things I didn't really do (since I didn't have a car) was explore outside of my immediate area. It's one thing I really wish I had done.
  14. Did you take classes? If so, which ones? I took the Disney Exploration Series: Disney Heritage class. I loved it! I wasn't eligible to get any college credit back at school for the classes that I took so I decided to take something fun. Even being a Disney trivia nut I still learned a TON from the class. The two best days were definitely the walking tour in MK and the team scavenger hunt around HS. Where else does school involve something like that?!
  15. Would you recommend this choice, or have done it differently? I assume you're talking about the classes and if so, then yes! I would definitely recommend the class. I would also recommend Marketing You and Creativity & Innovation. I've had multiple friends take both of those and all of them enjoyed them and learned a ton!
  16. Did you get college credit, or work experience credit? I did not get college credit but did get work experience credit which I needed to graduate with my major.
  17. How 'home-sick' were you? Of course you get homesick at times but in general I was MUCH less homesick than I thought I would be. It was the longest I had ever been away from home and although I had my days and my moments, I never had a long stretch of time where I just wanted to go home.
  18. Mood during the course of the program: depressed, moderate, moderately happy, happy, or always happy: For most of the program I would say that I was always happy. Of course no one is always happy all the time but that's how I would rate the average day on my CP!
  19. Absolute BEST part of the DCP: The people I met. I met some of the most incredible people on my program and some of them have become some of my absolute best friends. Three years later we still all bump into each other on visits back to Disney (I live down here now). There is a special bond in a DCP family that really can't be described to anyone who has not experienced it before.
  20. Absolute WORST part of the DCP: Honestly, there really wasn't anything that stood out as the "worst" part but if I had to pick something I'd probably say the hours that you have to work. I generally worked nights which sometimes would be until 2:30AM. You learn to deal with it and make the best of the experience but sometimes it stinks when you just want to go out with your friends (although many of them work nights too) and have a normal sleep schedule.
Hope that helps!!

coilback

Okay, let's see if I can help...

1. What year/term were you in the DCP? - Spring 2008
  2. How long (month arrive to month end) were you there? Jan 7th till May 23rd ish (can't remember exactly)
  3. How did you get there? Plane/Parent's Car/Personal Car? What state/country did you come from? Drove my car from Dallas, Texas
  4. Select one reason why you chose to do the DCP: want to have a good time, love Disney history, love Disney movies, love amusement parks, college credit, pertains to your career, or other? one reason only? - Love Disney Parks
  5. What was your role? What were your daily tasks? How many hours a day did you work?
    What was your daily work-related stress level?
    Operations - Epic (at the Studios) - which at the time covered Indiana Jones and Sounds Dangerous. Tasks - mainly seating people, guest relations, had a small spiel at Sounds Dangerous. Also parade (crowd control). Hours varied from 7-10. Stress, not too bad, I've had worse, but there were days or events (like the Cheerleader Nationals) that would get bad.
  6. Would you choose a different role now? Maybe a different attraction (if I had the choice), but I loved being around the guests
  7. How difficult is it to get organized, trained, and work? Regarding the instruction and learning process: For CP, pretty easy. They don't tend to put CP in hard roles. When I went into full time as an Entertainment Tech the training was VERY fast paced with very little learning curve.
  8. Was your pay: low, medium, or high on the scale of (7$-9$)? Do you think that was fair? Low, but that's to be expected. Disney makes up for it by giving you fairly reasonably priced housing, amenities, etc.
  9. How much money a month did you ACTUALLY have to live off of each week, after housing? Well, mine might be a special case because I had an online business I ran on the side for extra cash (not going into that). You tend to work a lot so the money you do spend tends to be in the parks mainly when you get the chance.
  10. What housing did you stay in? Did you like the amount of people there, and the apartment itself? I was in Chatham Square. I took the one bedroom. I liked the privacy, the housing was nice, but strict security.
  11. After that experience, what housing would you prefer now? Would do the same - maybe have a different roommate.
  12. Pro or Con on the bus system? Explain why you chose that in one sentence: Didn't use it really. I drove the whole time.
  13. How much free time do you have each week? What were some things you did on your free time (besides the obvious)? Couple days off usually. On work days, if I worked day shift, I would play in the parks afterwards (at first - after awhile you just want rest). Free time - went to the parks, hung out with new people I had met, explored Florida a bit
  14. Did you take classes? If so, which ones? Yes, took the Leadership program - really good class
  15. Would you recommend this choice, or have done it differently? Classwise? Yes, it's a good one, especially if you are ever considering a management type role anywhere
  16. Did you get college credit, or work experience credit? Nope, my college didn't offer credit for this
  17. How 'home-sick' were you? Missed the food in Texas, but past that, not really.
  18. Mood during the course of the program: depressed, moderate, moderately happy, happy, or always happy: Happy for the most part. Everyone has a bad day now and then.
  19. Absolute BEST part of the DCP: Being at Disney and interacting with the guests and other cast members.
  20. Absolute WORST part of the DCP: Knowing it would all be over in a few months

Past that, if you want to know anything, just ask. It's been a few years, but I can usually remember most of it ;-)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom