Anyone prefer Magic Kingdom over Disneyland?

Mondo

Original Poster
I’m not here to make a case that MK is the better park- DL is more detailed, more intimate, less crowded, has better food, more live music, more rides, and generally better versions of the rides that they share. From an objective standpoint, it’s pretty obvious that DL is the better park. It kind of has to be- Disney doesn’t have a sprawling complex of theme parks in Cali like they do in FL. And full disclosure: I haven’t been to DL in person.

But I know there must be some of you who prefer Magic Kingdom. Perhaps you believe MK is actually better, or maybe you acknowledge that DL is better but prefer MK anyway. I want to hear your reasons why.

Mr. Sullivan

I can’t say that I do, honestly. Magic Kingdom was never my favorite of the four in general, but after getting to visit the original Disneyland, it’s almost tied with Hollywood Studios as my least favorite. It’s not a bad park but I would say its probably one of the worst castle parks in Disney’s whole portfolio. Upon visiting DL you realize just how much of the true Disney magic is actually missing from MK. It’s the little things that make the difference, and MK doesn’t really dabble in little things. It’s a big old concrete playground with lots of fun attractions, but is missing an identity of it’s own and is very short on the charm you can find at other castle parks, or even just other parks at WDW. It feels very corporate when compared to DL, TDKL, and DLP, all three of which have a lot of rich, detailed beauty that’s brought to life by a super close to attention to the small details. Can’t speak for Shanghai or Hong Kong.

Honeycomb

Yes. Although Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean is better, I went to Disneyland so many times growing up that I got burned out. I have visited Magic Kingdom much less so it feels fresher to me.

Animaniac93-98

There are things that are (or at least were) absolutely better about MK vs Disneyland

WED built a better park, and I'd say it mostly stayed that way until the mid 90s after Disneyland built Toontown and IJA and MK started removing things like the unique stores and changing several attractions.

Modern Disney has also worked hard to make MK more like Disneyland, and as a result made it a lesser copy.

yensidtlaw1969

I grew up visiting WDW, and for years I'd heard people dismiss Disneyland due to it being smaller. I just sort of believed that until I visited Disneyland for the first time at age 10 - it was a revelation. Smaller, yes, but so much richer than MK that I felt it even at 10. Around seemingly every corner was something more than than the MK equivalent had to offer, and more than a few things that simply had no equivalent at MK. That day still stands as a terrific memory - I saw so much and was lucky to encounter many things from the time that made Disneyland unique and special.

I would still say that Disneyland Park stands above The Magic Kingdom, and thankfully the DNA of what made that say so wonderful is still present. But I will say it feels like Disneyland has tangibly walked itself back a bit, seemingly taking some pages out of MK's handbook. Meanwhile Magic Kingdom has managed to stagnate despite adding things (though not enough). Love it though I do, it could really use a good, holistic effort to spruce things up. The park feels like less than the sum of its parts, and the parts seem to feel more and more disparate as time goes on.

MK feels less and less like a destination and more like a mere location, and it deserves better handling than that. Disney treats the park like a workhorse. I don't know that I forsee it ever eclipsing Disneyland (Disneyland would probably have to really fall off), but there's so much potential if only they'd show it some care.

drizgirl

I have been to both parks a fair number of times (perk of living in the middle of the country I suppose).

MK is no DL.

The only thing MK has over DL is a larger castle. That's it.

Centauri Space Station

MK holds more memories for me as it’s the first disney park i visited. I think both have their good and bad parts. MK has a better Tomorrowland, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Mermaid, Phillarmagic, and stuff like HOP, CBJ, Seven Dwarves, Tron, COP, peoplemover and Astro orbitor up top

JIMINYCR

After going to WDW many, many times, different seasons, and always wanting to visit DL to experience the original Walts place, I finally realized that dream. There were many aspects of DL that was a step up from MK, from the nostalgic side and the differences in the attraction ride throughs. ( One highlight was visiting Walts apartment. )The smaller lay out of the park was more convenient to tralel around but it also got more crammed in when the crowds showed up.
Overall I truly loved DL and would jump at the chance to revisit. But MK maybe because of the size, the layout and the history Ive made visiting there so many trips, MK would be my preference.

wdwfan22

I prefer Magic Kingdom over Disneyland. I don't like Disneyland's cramped walkways and small castle. So Magic Kingdom will always be the better park in my opinion.

Mr. Sullivan

Honestly the more I think about it, I just can only come up with the explanation that the answer to this is dependent entirely on what you want from a castle park.

If you want a greater amount of thrill rides and the bigger scale, then MK is for you. But if you want any charm or magic, that's DL. MK is fun but it isn't charming, nor is it very magical. It's a corporate concrete playground. A fun one, I have a great time there, but the only thing MK has on it is a bigger castle and more thrill based attractions. DL beats it in magic, charm, history, and food.

Not to mention DL doesn't have the entire park on Genie+ so there's a lot of randomizing and going with the flow you can introduce at DL that you just can't at MK.

To me, the bigger castle is not worth it (especially when you can go inside of DL's) and doesn't make it a better park when everything else around the castle is lesser than the original.

iamgroot61

In the Parks
No
I’m not here to make a case that MK is the better park- DL is more detailed, more intimate, less crowded, has better food, more live music, more rides, and generally better versions of the rides that they share. From an objective standpoint, it’s pretty obvious that DL is the better park. It kind of has to be- Disney doesn’t have a sprawling complex of theme parks in Cali like they do in FL. And full disclosure: I haven’t been to DL in person.

But I know there must be some of you who prefer Magic Kingdom. Perhaps you believe MK is actually better, or maybe you acknowledge that DL is better but prefer MK anyway. I want to hear your reasons why.
It's interesting that you can assert that DL's shared rides are better without ever having visited DL. However, you are correct. That is true in every case. Big Thunder Mtn RR, Space Mtn, Astro Blasters (Buzz Lightyear at WDW) are all better. There are other examples too. Don't get me wrong. I don't dislike MK, but my emotional connection is to DL having visited the CA parks countless times over roughly 30 years. Out of necessity, DL is laid out better, more efficiently. Both parks have unique (to them) attractions. DL has Matterhorn Bobsleds and Indiana Jones. MK has Tron and the Seven Dwarves Mine Train, and I love all of those, but in every apples to apples comparison I can think of, the DL version is better.

TrainsOfDisney

I grew up visiting Walt Disney World so I have a bit more nostalgia at Magic Kingdom but they have ripped so much out - the Horse Trolleys pretty much never run except for the shows, most of the characters are in rooms and not roaming free and filling town square, there is very little live entertainment left and the central hub is all concrete now.

I also remember visiting toontown as a kid…. They tore down that too. Disney literally tore down Mickeys house. Haha.

They have definitely done a great job of eliminating charm.

The only think MK really has going for it is the people mover and the bears. Otherwise, Disneyland has done a much better job of keeping the charm while continuing to expand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom