Anyone else running through a ITB injury?

frank2271

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

First I wanted to say "Thanks" to WDWMagic for starting a dedicated thread for Running at Disney. :)

Now, down to business. I'm pretty sure I have an ITB injury. I have read that it is one of the most common injuries and was wondering how other runners deal with it? I am guessing I got it from over-training for the Princess Half.

I have rested my knee since the running of the Princess Half and just did some light running Tuesday for the first time. I gotta tell ya, I was expecting it to feel better than it did. My knee started hurting around one mile, so I walked for a bit and then stopped. I didn't have my strap on, which made a HUGE difference during the Princess.

Am I going to have to wear my ITB strap forever or will the injury heal 100% some day?

Since this is so common, I know you guys can give me some pointers.

Thanks,

Frank

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am by no means an expert on this but it is my understanding that there is no "cure" for ITB but it can be managed. Most of it is pretty common sense stuff. Wear good running shoes and run on level ground. Hills and road crowns are big no-nos. Strength training for the calves, quads and hamstrings will also help to minimize and IRB. Proper stretching will help to reduce it but most importantly when you feel pain stop. Playing through the pain will only make it worse. Also rubbing the spot where it hurts will make the problem worse.

Ariel484

I was having knee pain last year right before I was set to run a marathon relay. I tried to push though but it got so bad it almost gave out on me at one point, and I found it only hurt when I was running and when I would walk up and down stairs. Not wanting to let my teammates down, I visited an orthopedic doctor who recommended a few things that Master Yoda mentioned, specifically resting my knee, strengthening my quads, stretching, avoiding stairs, and icing my knee after runs. She also recommended taking 2 Aleves a day for about 10-14 days to get the inflammation down. But what helped me the most was her recommending that I get orthotics for my running shoes (which were pretty new at the time and didn’t need replacing). I have flat feet and these orthotics (about $25 for a pair, and they supposedly last for 2-3 pairs of shoes) pushed my arches up which felt weird at first but have made all the difference in the world – I still have knee pain from time to time, but it’s only an occasional twinge and is very rare.

If you're really struggling, I guess I’d recommend going to a doctor to really pinpoint your diagnosis (I'd been readig up on the internet and assumed I had ITB issues, but she diagnosed it as good ol' "runner's knee" whcih is slightly different I guess). Good luck! :wave:

frank2271

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions, icing, aleve and my strap does help. Please keep the suggestions coming. I appreciate everyones help.

Frank

Phonedave

Thanks for the suggestions, icing, aleve and my strap does help. Please keep the suggestions coming. I appreciate everyones help.

Frank

I was under the impression that a strap does not help ITB

I think I have ITB problems with my left knee. The pain is on the OUTSIDE of the left knee and presents as a classic TI band problem.

Last time it hurt, I took 5 days off. Then I went out to do 8 miles Easter Sunday. I was cruising along with no problems, Then around mile 5, it went - in the span of about 200 yards - from feeling great to in such pain I had to cut the loop short and limp 2 miles home (walking was painful)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/29131393

I started doing some stretched for the IT band, and made sure to take 10-15 minutes to really work on and stretch out the IT band before running.

I ran the same 8.25 mile course on Tuesday without any problem.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/29237557

I plan to go out tomorrow for 5 miles, so we will see what happens (all these kids softball practices that I am involved in really cuts into the running :) )

(I like Garmin Connect by the way :D )

-dave

frank2271

Original Poster
Ok, maybe I have it wrong. My pain is just below the knee cap and only really bothers me when I run. Walking is pain free.

I just looked it up on the Runners World website and guess what, I did have it wrong. I have "Patellar tendinitis". I read it wrong, duh :eek:.

It says I need to rest it and let the tissue heal. It is caused be over training.

I guess I'll just take it easy for a bit. Thanks to all for your help and sorry for the confusion.

Frank

fmingo36

Frank,

I have the same thing. I feel great till about 8 miles and then it feels like some stabbed me in my leg. I had this happen in the Princess 1/2. I ended up walking a good portion of the race from mile 8 to the finish line.

I work with a trainer (who happens to be a runner) and she said to put heat on the area before each run and ice on the area after each run. It has helped.

I also do 20 -30 minutes on the stair-climber 2 or 3 times a week for strengthening.

frank2271

Original Poster
Frank,

I have the same thing. I feel great till about 8 miles and then it feels like some stabbed me in my leg. I had this happen in the Princess 1/2. I ended up walking a good portion of the race from mile 8 to the finish line.

That's funny, I started walking at around the 8 mile mark at the Princess, I was able to run some small distances after that but not as much as I wanted.

Speaking of Mile 8, wasn't it boring? My wife and I thought it was the worst area of the race.

Thanks for the tips, glad to know I'm not alone.

Frank

lukacseven

I've actually torn my patella tendon (non-running injury). It was lateral movement and twisting which caused the tear and aggrivated it. Because of the timing, I opted out of surgery. I spent 2 full years in a brace during all physical activity, but I've been running for 6 years without incident, pain, or any type of brace. In doing so, I've learned to run more efficiently and reduce alot of stress on my knees and other areas. See "Evolution Running." Similar to Chi Running, I worked alot on more natural running mechanics. You probably should have an MRI done to make sure there's no serious damage. Otherwise, rest is probably the best thing. A wrong move could aggrivate it or increse the risk of a more serious problem.

frank2271

Original Poster
Well, last night I ran for the first time since the Princess Half. I wore my brace, and I felt a couple twinges during the first mile but after that my knee felt good. I only ran two miles and walked another. I thought it would be smart to start off slow. Today my knee feels good, no problems. I am excited to get started, but I have to go easy.

When you had your pain from the tear, where exactly was the pain? My pain is directly in front of the knee, above and below the knee cap. I read that "bounce" in my run may have caused it, did you hear the same?

Thanks for your help.
Frank

lukacseven

The pain I experienced was a sharp pinching-like pain on the outside of the knee cap and below, with more of a dull, sore pain above the knee cap. The injury was casued by my foot slipping an twisting on soft slippery ground (again, not-running - it was playing baseball). Part of what the more efficient running style teaches is to reduce your bounce and minimize upper body movement to as little as possible.

MCC1

You are correct, that is not ITB...if your pain was on the outside of your knee, it would lend itself to an ITB Syndrome diagnosis...essentially the only tendon in the body that covers 2 joints, starting above the hip and then crossing the knee, and will flare up on that bone it rubs over on the outside of the knee when you do too much too fast...it's treatable...been there, done that.

Have not had your ailment, but sounds like you're doing the right stuff...if you are buying your shoes only online, see you if you have a good 'shoe guy' in a running specialty store in your town (Sports Authority does not count), pop in and show him what your running in and tell him your issues, it could be as simple as you're in motion control shoes and you should be in a neutral trainer for example...

Regardless, keep this link handy and you may want to browse - American Running Association has a great Clinic section you can see feedback on all types of ailments by actual sports physicians...many knee ailments asked about there - you have to be a member to ask questions, but you can read many of the posts for free:

www.americanrunning.org/clinic

Good luck, sounds like your already healing somewhat!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I hate that you are experiencing ITB. Luckily, I dont have that issue.

However, I do have a strange shin splint only on my right leg. Funny thing is, if I run on flat surface it never bothers me the first 2-3 miles. Unfortunately, my neighborhood is plagued with hills. I run properly down a hill every time and try not to over stride, bending slightly at the waist and usually once I get to the bottom of the hill, my right shin is on fire. Once it calms down though, im good for anything after that for whatever distance.

Weird.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom